Horse nettles & Johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

thebabybrahma

Reaction score
is Milestone the best Horse nettle killer out there? is roundup about the best Johnson grass killer besides salt? if anyone knows some better stuff, we are cleaning up a place and have a bunch of both. thanks for any info

Roundup (and generics) is the best herbicide on Johnson grass.
I haven't used Milestone, but I use 2,4-D and Banvel and I don't have horse nettles.
If you are in a drought area be aware that all these herbicides work best on "actively growing' weeds.

Not that I think horse nettles are a good thing - but in this drought I had a field nearly covered in them & in a weeks time the cows nearly cleaned it up (wasn't much else to eat, but unlike other weeds they will eat them). I don't have any johnson grass, but wish I had. Just a comment on spending money to eliminate a couple of forages that can help out in hard times. I guess the johnson grass is a favorite of cattle regardless of the weather/soil conditions - not sure why anyone would spend money to eliminate it. Put cows on it & they'll take care of it.

thebabybrahma":25h6fafh said:
is Milestone the best Horse nettle killer out there? is roundup about the best Johnson grass killer besides salt? if anyone knows some better stuff, we are cleaning up a place and have a bunch of both. thanks for any info

I would ask Texan as he is our resident nettle expert, you might want to UPS him some for closer inspection.

Maverick is the new herbicide for Johnson grass. It is sprayed on and does not affect the other grasses. Costs about $20-25/A applied.

Billy

Farminlund":1j3tb5l2 said:
Not that I think horse nettles are a good thing - but in this drought I had a field nearly covered in them & in a weeks time the cows nearly cleaned it up (wasn't much else to eat, but unlike other weeds they will eat them). I don't have any johnson grass, but wish I had. Just a comment on spending money to eliminate a couple of forages that can help out in hard times. I guess the johnson grass is a favorite of cattle regardless of the weather/soil conditions - not sure why anyone would spend money to eliminate it. Put cows on it & they'll take care of it.

Are we talking the same "horse nettle"? Yellow berries? Solanum carolinense.
I've been told the berries are toxic to cattle. Maybe I was told wrong.
Be careful what you wish for--johnsongrass is good inside the fence, but it will spread like crazy. Indiana calls it a noxious weed and you are required to control it (rarely enforced).

john250":10ot2o2t said:
Farminlund":10ot2o2t said:

Are we talking the same "horse nettle"? Yellow berries? Solanum carolinense.
I've been told the berries are toxic to cattle. Maybe I was told wrong.
Be careful what you wish for--johnsongrass is good inside the fence, but it will spread like crazy. Indiana calls it a noxious weed and you are required to control it (rarely enforced).

Yes the same; & you are correct the berries are toxic. My cows don't eat the berries; in fact once the weeds are past the bloom stage, they seem avoid them all together. It seems like most all plants have some level of appeal when young but not so when mature or in the seed stage.

Johnson Grass is not prevalent in our area, probably for the reason you sighted. We haven't seen a drop or rain in over 3 weeks, however, I've driven by some mighty good looking fields of Johnson grass that appear ready to cut for hay - envious that I don't anything at all to cut (fescue just hasn't grown lately).

thanks for all the info.. Johnson grass is a nuisance up here, it will take over any other grass in just a few years. It grows fast and will choke out good hay fields if not killed out. you can pasture it to death or put salt on it but it will spread if the seeds are not killed. thanks again.

Farminlund":32lkzo33 said:
Not that I think horse nettles are a good thing - but in this drought I had a field nearly covered in them & in a weeks time the cows nearly cleaned it up (wasn't much else to eat, but unlike other weeds they will eat them).

It's interesting to hear you say that. I have one pasture that is almost down to the dirt and very few sand briars (nettles) in sight. Another pasture, same farm, is stocked lighter and the sand briars are everywhere. Just goes to show you what a cow will eat if she has to.

cfpinz

Latest posts