homozygous polled

Help Support CattleToday:

From the American Gelbvieh Assn. website:

Scurs are defined as horny tissue which are generally loose and moveable but may become attached to the skull in older animals. There is great variation in the size and growth rate of both scurs and horns, but males generally develop scurs and horns faster than females

I would think that horns would be possible on Angus occasionally. Just as Polled Herefords showed up among horned Herefords. With the POlled Hereford all it would take would be a mutation of one gene, to get horns from polled animals would take a mutation of both genes of the set. Who is to say that it isn't possible?

dun

> Jason,

> Are you implying that all black
> Angus breeders follow the
> "conviction of strict culling
> when scurs or horns show up?"

> Please don't generalize that some
> Red Angus breeders are not culling
> correctly and all black Angus
> breeders are culling scurred and
> horned cattle. I know commercial
> producers who buy registered BLACK
> Angus bulls from
> "reputable" breeders and
> are getting some horned calves.

> Hmmmm...where did those horns in
> the Angus population come from???
> Chi's? Maines? Holsteins?...

> Many black Angus breeders brag
> about the American Angus Assn's
> closed herd book, but I don't
> think it is "closed" as
> much as they want to believe it
> is.

> I'm not trying to start an
> argument here, I just think that
> folks need to hear both sides of
> the story.

Oops, so it is but the genetics thing is pretty simple. my point was you can not have a heterozygous bull if the gene is found on the sex chromasomes. thankyou for your appreciation, not many people listen to me on this chat.

[email protected]

in herefords polled is a mutation. in angus horns are a mutation or a throw back that can miss a generation before appearing again. BUT both animals mated must have the horned alelle. this is unlikely because the breed is well set up and horns are usually due to crossbreeding further back in the line. so by right a 100% PURE angus should be homozygous polled regardless.

[email protected]

a mutation is pretty much a coincidence, so saying horned angus are a mutation is not very correct, Since it's a one in a lot of billions of chances that the horns show up (and yet it is a trait that 99% of all breeds have). i'ld say that horned Angus are just not exactly 100% Angus, and you're dealing with unpure blood rather than a mutation of a certain gene.

[email protected]

I have been enjoying the discussions as a learning process on genetics..but gotta tell you..polled is definitely dominant. I cull my Longhorns for lack of good horn..but have had some f1's from Homo bulls (Gelbveih, Limousin) & they are 100% polled! Nice feeders too!

[email protected]

Scurs are generally just the cudical of the horn without bone development.Polled is Dominant to Horned. But many polled cattle might have a horned ancestor and carry vestige horn traits... Scurs results.

Hope this simple explaination helps?

[email protected]

Scurs and horns are two totally different things and are controlled by different genes. A scur is horny material not attached to the skull, horns are attached.

dun

> Scurs are generally just the
> cudical of the horn without bone
> development.Polled is Dominant to
> Horned. But many polled cattle
> might have a horned ancestor and
> carry vestige horn traits... Scurs
> results.

> Hope this simple explaination
> helps?

Latest posts