F1 Braford polled calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Here it isn't as hot and humid as it is farther south, but some years there can be some periods of probably similar conditions. Year before last we had a spell like that and just happened to be that we had a Hereford bull and a younger home raised 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman bull running with the cows. When it turned off hot the Hereford was more like a hippopotamus spending most of the time in the water and the young xbred bull took care of business.

It is worth mentioning that there is nothing wrong with putting a Brangus or Braford bull on those cows. I can promise you it will make breeding a lot easier because not all Angus and Herefords will breed when it gets hot like the Brafords and Brangus will. I really question whether knocking that little bit more ear off is worth the hassle in this area.
Absolutely! And that is the intent... to breed the Braford cows to Brangus bulls. We bought these 2 bulls yesterday for several reasons, one being the price. Another is yes, to knock a little ear off any half-Brahma we might end up with. Chianina are very heat and insect tolerant as well, and this one is 60+% Chianina, so should do as well as a Brangus bull in south Ga, while adding more size to the calves. Ultrablacks, what little experience I have had with them, seem about equal to Brangus as far as heat tolerance. I am about to go look at some cows. 3 Brahma x Hereford, a Brahma x Black Baldy, and a Brahma X Longhorn with Brangus calves. Supposed to be their 2nd calves.

Absolutely! And that is the intent... to breed the Braford cows to Brangus bulls. We bought these 2 bulls yesterday for several reasons, one being the price. Another is yes, to knock a little ear off any half-Brahma we might end up with. Chianina are very heat and insect tolerant as well, and this one is 60+% Chianina, so should do as well as a Brangus bull in south Ga, while adding more size to the calves. Ultrablacks, what little experience I have had with them, seem about equal to Brangus as far as heat tolerance. I am about to go look at some cows. 3 Brahma x Hereford, a Brahma x Black Baldy, and a Brahma X Longhorn with Brangus calves. Supposed to be their 2nd calves.
They looked good... about 1400-1500 lbs each, so I got them. These are their 2nd calves. The BR X LH may weigh a little less. They had 5 black , polled calves though. 4 steers, and the Br x LH's calf is a heifer. These calves were born in February, and these cows have been in a pasture with the owner's red and black Brahma bull, that has horns. We would prefer if they weren't bred, but we will know in a little while, I guess. I almost bought some BR x dairy heifers he had. he had supplies the bulls for this boutigue Natural faarm, and buys the calves. It is a plaace that sells free-range eggs and chickens, goat milk and cheese, goats and sheep to eat, etc.. all organic, etc. They hand milk cows, and you buy stock in a cow, and ay them, to board it and care for it and milk it, and you can get raw milk that way. Anyway, he had about a dozen.... 2 Br x Red Holstein, 2 Br x Guernsey, a BR x Red Holstein/Guernsey, a Br x Jersey/Guernsey, a Br x Ashyire, a BR x Brown Swiss, a Br x Brown Swiss/Jersey, and about 4 BR x Jeresy. Their sire was the man's red an black horned Brahma, and they all have horns. Bred to an Angus for fall calves. Being heifers, and being horned, I don't much want to get them. I told him $750 each, and he said he wanted $1000, so I hope he doesn't take my offer. @Caustic Burno , @Brute 23 ..... do y'all use red Brahmas any, or just white/grey ones?

Red or grey doesnt bother me. I try to stay with the American Brahman which tends to be a little cleaner and not have those monster jack rabbit ears. I stay away from any Indu, Zebu, etc. IMO I find more grey that are what I'm looking for but I have seen some very nice reds.

My dad always swore the reds were the mean ones.😄 They got a bad batch as a kid and spent years cleaning them, and every thing they corrupted, out by all means necessary so take that for what it's worth.

Red or grey doesnt bother me. I try to stay with the American Brahman which tends to be a little cleaner and not have those monster jack rabbit ears. I stay away from any Indu, Zebu, etc. IMO I find more grey that are what I'm looking for but I have seen some very nice reds.

My dad always swore the reds were the mean ones.😄 They got a bad batch as a kid and spent years cleaning them, and every thing they corrupted, out by all means necessary so take that for what it's worth.
What I was wondering, was does it make a difference in the color of offspring? If you use a red brahma to get F1 Brafords, is there a difference in the color of the calves of red vs grey bulls? How about F1 Charbray?

What I was wondering, was does it make a difference in the color of offspring? If you use a red brahma to get F1 Brafords, is there a difference in the color of the calves of red vs grey bulls? How about F1 Charbray?

This girl has a red momma. With the grey bull we had the momma would throw grey some time and red some time. I have a red bahman heifer in the weaning pen out of the momma right now and have high hopes for her.

20200413_123601.jpg

This girl has a red momma. With the grey bull we had the momma would throw grey some time and red some time. I have a red bahman heifer in the weaning pen out of the momma right now and have high hopes for her.

View attachment 4113
That is the right kind of cow for sure! How old is that calf? Sired by an Angus? Or Brangus? This calf would bring top dollar per pound here in Ga. And most of the south.

I have some Charbray love the cow hate the diluter gene.
I never owned any Charbray, except maybe for a day or two when buying for a client, or just buying some to sell. But, as I have mentioned on other threads, back about 20 years ago, I got some 1/2 Brahma 1/2 Chianina cows. A client was developing a 3 way cross of Brahma, Long Horn and Chianina cattle to raise bucking bulls from. Once he got enough of these 3 way crosses, he started selling off his 2 way crosses. I sent the Br x LH and Chi x Longhorn cows to Florida, but I decided to keep the Br x Chi cows. These were from registered, purebred Brahmas and Chininas. Great big ole white cows, as big as a purebred Chianina, with some ear. Not as much as other 1/2 Brahma crosses....nothing cleans up the leather on a Brahma cross better than Chianina. The first two I got, I bred to a Brangus. The calves looked just like giant Brangus...black and polled. No smoky color. The rest of them I bred to a neighbor's polled Charolais every year.. as well as the 1st two for the rest of their calves....mostly because he wanted to buy some heifers out of these cows. These 1/2 Charolais, 1/4 Br, 1/4 Chi, would have smoky calves, however,. when bred to black bulls. So, I hear ya on the diluter gene. What kind of bull are you using on your Charbray, @Caustic Burno ?

Well, I ended up with a couple of horned and a couple of polled brangus type heifers. I've had them for 5 weeks now. They are settling in nicely.

Attachments

• A5F6B979-9C37-48C2-B84A-8DA4EB894D42.jpeg
    A5F6B979-9C37-48C2-B84A-8DA4EB894D42.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • D45D5E76-47A1-4C30-B54D-6F4FC67F8C46.jpeg
    D45D5E76-47A1-4C30-B54D-6F4FC67F8C46.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 28C4767D-7350-4D6F-B0FE-01EF6E8C5A29.jpeg
    28C4767D-7350-4D6F-B0FE-01EF6E8C5A29.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 0840A118-2B04-46EC-ACCD-0EC151DC0A56.jpeg
    0840A118-2B04-46EC-ACCD-0EC151DC0A56.jpeg