Homozygous polled bull and scurs

Help Support CattleToday:

I have commercial Angus.

If the literature were correct, my scurred cow crossed with a bull with no scurs should produce a female with no scurs. If the bull had scurs then it should show in 50% if his male offspring and up to 25% of his granddaughters.

None of that is the case. It is isolated to those 2 families as though it is a dominant trait.

Yes, it is a dominant trait in the female.
It would not show up to 25% in his granddaughters, if the daughter was bred to a non-scurred bull - 0 would be scurred.
A scurred cow bred to a bull with 0 scur gene will produce a daughter that is not scurred (but will carry 1 scur gene).
If the bull has scurs bred to your scurred cow, all your male calves will be scurred - simply from the dam, even if the bull was clean polled. ALL her male calves will be scurred (1 scur gene). Maybe 50% of her heifers will be scurred (two scur genes), if you used a scurred bull (1 scur gene). 0% daughters will be scurred if you use a clean polled bull with your scurred cow.
This is not new, been the same genetics for ever. Pretty simple.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3tmnsgos said:
Yes, it is a dominant trait in the female.
It would not show up to 25% in his granddaughters, if the daughter was bred to a non-scurred bull - 0 would be scurred.
A scurred cow bred to a bull with 0 scur gene will produce a daughter that is not scurred (but will carry 1 scur gene).
If the bull has scurs bred to your scurred cow, all your male calves will be scurred - simply from the dam, even if the bull was clean polled. ALL her male calves will be scurred (1 scur gene). Maybe 50% of her heifers will be scurred (two scur genes), if you used a scurred bull (1 scur gene). 0% daughters will be scurred if you use a clean polled bull with your scurred cow.
This is not new, been the same genetics for ever. Pretty simple.

You're funny.

I'll share examples this week. I have more than enough matings for a research project.

You're pretty much asserting that TC Total 410 had scurs that went unnoticed in every herd except mine then the only mating that happened to cause scurs in his offspring were also from the same maternal line.

They say it takes 32 matings to create statistical relevance...I have that in spades.

Scurs are either not fully explained by one gene or are not sex linked.

VirginiaCattle":37qh5vux said:
I have commercial Angus.

If the literature were correct, my scurred cow crossed with a bull with no scurs should produce a female with no scurs. If the bull had scurs then it should show in 50% if his male offspring and up to 25% of his granddaughters.

None of that is the case. It is isolated to those 2 families as though it is a dominant trait.

A lot of those calves should be homozygous polled, being homozygous polled hidden the scurs. So they still have 1 or 2 scurs gene but don't show scurs on their head.

Dubcharo":otb521e2 said:
VirginiaCattle":otb521e2 said:
I have commercial Angus.

A lot of those calves should be homozygous polled, being homozygous polled hidden the scurs. So they still have 1 or 2 scurs gene but don't show scurs on their head.

This doesn't explain the scurs following very specific female lines.

I have a question, if Virginia cattle uses registered Angus bulls then if what is shown by genetics is correct he should never have scurs in heifers, correct?

So I have 10 descendants of 07807 in the herd. It's not a trait I specifically look for but half, at least, have scurs.

So of those I know have it, they are all daughters of her that come from TC Total 410.

I currently have 23 other direct daughters of Total in the herd and countless descendants.

If Total was also scurred, I'd have many more scurred calves based on the TC Total cross alone given the other same matches.

This only follows that family and one other (that has entirely different origins and no TC Total).

kenny thomas":11unddiy said:
I have a question, if Virginia cattle uses registered Angus bulls then if what is shown by genetics is correct he should never have scurs in heifers, correct?

I use only registered Angus and most are from names everyone recognizes.

I don't think the sex-linked portion of scurs is fully researched or there are multiple genes for scurs....some that aren't sex-linked

https://secure.goozmo.com/user_files/13942.pdf

"An important fact is that any bull that
has one scur gene but is not scurred must
be homozygous polled. Further, any bull
produced by a scurred cow must have the
scur gene as does any bull that sires a
scurred heifer"

Some interesting points in that text, and yes it's not all clear how scurs works.
If you don't want any scurs on the head of your beef animals:

"10. Breeding homozygous polled bulls to
homozygous polled females should
produce all homozygous polled calves
and no scurs."

VirginiaCattle":3ujgvxj4 said:
Dubcharo":3ujgvxj4 said:
VirginiaCattle":3ujgvxj4 said:
I have commercial Angus.

This doesn't explain the scurs following very specific female lines.
What do you know of the horned allele's presence in the rest of your herd? If all cows but the scurred ones are homozygous polled, of course you'll not see it, even in the steers. That's my situation here, I think.
I was going to comment that I wonder if you may have a point, since my scurs only now show up in one maternal line. But I think that's because nobody else now carries a horned allele.

If the other lines were all homo-polled, and the maternal line in question had a horn gene floating around, that could explain a lot of it.

As a test you could breed a bunch of the scurred cows to a horned bull, should have 50% horned calves... do the same to the other maternal lines, you should get 0% horned

Latest posts