F1 Braford polled calves

Help Support CattleToday:

My question is did someone sell you those as Brangus?
A F-1 Brangus horns in most instances are nubs and not horns especially if an Angus bull was used.
If you decided to keep them you need to cut those horns off.
Horns are notable but a problem looking to happen.

The 2 with horns are supposed to be from a brangus cow and Brahman bull. The 2 with no horns brangus cow and brangus bull. Got them from a local guy who leases land at end of my road.

Couple more pics

Attachments

• 7A4D5242-5C36-4ED9-80B0-CBE43BB58505.png
    7A4D5242-5C36-4ED9-80B0-CBE43BB58505.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 4DAF6E68-B08B-4FA9-9914-F7BF7E2012D8.png
    4DAF6E68-B08B-4FA9-9914-F7BF7E2012D8.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 26
  • A78D47DF-4477-48BE-A52C-9A605305308D.png
    A78D47DF-4477-48BE-A52C-9A605305308D.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 26
That is what they look like to me. I dont see the Corriente.

Might not be a bad idea to take the horns off. If they ever get testy they will know how to use them. Several years ago I had one Brahman heifer that I didnt dehorn. She never gave me any problem then one day we were working cattle and she decided she was done and started throwing her head at me with the horns. She wouldnt come at me but when I got to her space she clearly would donit to me. The witch stood in front of a group of cows with them balled up behind her and was keeping me from getting to them. I finally got a group and literally had to run them at the group and turn them in to one big mob to get them to move. She went to the sale right then and there.

The fella I got them from said he waited too long to cut them off. Said it would draw a lot of flies to them this time of year. He worked the cows and tipped them for me, the day he delivered them to me. You think it would be OK the cut them off this fall?

The fella I got them from said he waited too long to cut them off. Said it would draw a lot of flies to them this time of year. He worked the cows and tipped them for me, the day he delivered them to me. You think it would be OK the cut them off this fall?
Nice cattle.

No more than how many it is I would talk to a vet and see what they say is the best way to go at it. If they take them completely off he may say wait but it they just cut them back quite a bit it may not matter too much. I know it may sound silly paying a vet to do it but they are usually cheap and it makes a lot of difference penning them and stuff later on if you dont do it in your pens.

Here it isn't as hot and humid as it is farther south, but some years there can be some periods of probably similar conditions. Year before last we had a spell like that and just happened to be that we had a Hereford bull and a younger home raised 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Brahman bull running with the cows. When it turned off hot the Hereford was more like a hippopotamus spending most of the time in the water and the young xbred bull took care of business.
When I was buying some bulls in Texas about 15 years ago, we visited a rancher who had a large number of commercial Brangus over several properties, he had crossed to Tuli, then crossed back to Brangus both ways to achieve a 25% red Tuli percentage. This gave all the advantages of the extra Taurus content without the problems from heat and parasites. He was selling plenty of stock from this cross, all the buyers were aware of the genotype of the cattle at the time and were happy with the performance of the stock they had bought in the recent past.

Well, 3 weeks ago I ended up selling the 2 horned ones back to the guy I bought them from. He wanted to replace a couple of older cows that had died. I got $1000 for the open and $1200 for the bred one. I paid $850 for them last June, so I might have broke even. I went and picked up these 3 on Friday. 14-17 months old.

Attachments

• C49C8E76-F99C-4AB4-AB16-F406280A54EE.jpeg
    C49C8E76-F99C-4AB4-AB16-F406280A54EE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • E001EE74-9F3B-4BA1-B39E-C68C30757999.jpeg
    E001EE74-9F3B-4BA1-B39E-C68C30757999.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 5A0D082B-FDC5-4235-8FDB-9864A3C644EB.png
    5A0D082B-FDC5-4235-8FDB-9864A3C644EB.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 15
Would you get tiger and chocolate replacements with an F1 Braford bull or a Hereford bull across these F1 girls? I would think the Hereford would throw red white/mottled face and maybe occasional tiger at 3/4 Hereford, 1/4 Brahman.

IF I was feeling froggy and bred F1 to F1 it would be Brangus over Braford and get some 1/2 blood black motts. I guess some may be red or some other colors also. A genetics person will have yo field that one.😄
The f1 Braford will carry a set of Brahma chromosones and a set of Hereford chromosones. The f1 Br x angus will carry a set of Brahma chromosones and a set of Angus chromnozones. The calves can get a set of Br and a set of Herford, a set of Brahma and a set of Angus, a set of Brahma and a set of brahma, or a set of angus and a set of Hereford.

Thanks for the insight. Seems like Angus is the best option, from what I have read. That will work good for the Brangus as well. May try the Hereford later on, for a change.

Would you get tiger and chocolate replacements with an F1 Braford bull or a Hereford bull across these F1 girls? I would think the Hereford would throw red white/mottled face and maybe occasional tiger at 3/4 Hereford, 1/4 Brahman.
Red baldies and big cows this cow is 3/4 Hereford and 1/4 Brimmer.
That cross is my favorite.

Attachments

• FBE4E535-3A47-4B5C-9022-F770B759AA61.jpeg
    FBE4E535-3A47-4B5C-9022-F770B759AA61.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
The f1 Braford will carry a set of Brahma chromosones and a set of Hereford chromosones. The f1 Br x angus will carry a set of Brahma chromosones and a set of Angus chromnozones. The calves can get a set of Br and a set of Herford, a set of Brahma and a set of Angus, a set of Brahma and a set of brahma, or a set of angus and a set of Hereford.
No. It doesn't work that way.
Yes, the F1s will have received a set of Brahman chromosomes from one parent, and a set of Hereford(or Angus) chromosomes from the other parent. But, those chromosome 'sets' don't 'stay together' during meiosis. Sperm &/or eggs from those F1s will not carry all Brahman or all Hereford genes... each one will carry a mix of B.indicus and B.taurus genes. So... crossing F1 x F1 will not ever give you any offspring that are pure Brahman or pure Hereford(or angus).

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. Seems like Angus is the best option, from what I have read. That will work good for the Brangus as well. May try the Hereford later on, for a change.
You didnt give us a choice of an Angus or Hereford bull. 😄

If you are chasing auction barn prices the Angus bull will be your ticket. I will say though, a good red mott, with not too much white, is not too far behind in this area. If you are selling 20 you probably wont even notice. If you are selling 2,000, it might add up.

Latest posts