Homeless people

Help Support CattleToday:

There is one section of that complex in Austin that will have 5' ceilings for the indigent midgets (small people). That section will be called "Stay Free Mini Pads". :shock:

highgrit":5evxnecy said:
Never been homeless, but then again I've never been a drinker or drug addict. But in my fishing travels I've met quite a few homeless folks. And most of the ones that are willing to work have had something really bad happen. And it's a shame because most of the homeless folks I've met are highly intelligent, and can do about anything. But the drinking, drugs and smoking kills them.
While attending college I worked in a hospital one time that had an alcoholic unit. Amazing how many of them were highly educated, loving, big hearted and really fine folks when sober.....but staying sober was the problem.

TexasBred":34802n6u said:
highgrit":34802n6u said:
Never been homeless, but then again I've never been a drinker or drug addict. But in my fishing travels I've met quite a few homeless folks. And most of the ones that are willing to work have had something really bad happen. And it's a shame because most of the homeless folks I've met are highly intelligent, and can do about anything. But the drinking, drugs and smoking kills them.
While attending college I worked in a hospital one time that had an alcoholic unit. Amazing how many of them were highly educated, loving, big hearted and really fine folks when sober.....but staying sober was the problem.

That is what blew my mind about a lot of the inmates in our prison here.
Same thing TB except drugs. When they are dried out you would think this guy is too smart for that lifestyle.
The thing I could never wrap my head around was them telling you as soon as they get out they are going to do drugs.
The stuff out there today is that powerful. Or selling drugs and getting caught is just a part of doing business.
Going to prison only works as a deterrent to those who are afraid to go. They are not afraid to come back so we have a
revolving door.

MO_cows":2bekh81w said:
It will be interesting to see how Austin's social(ist?) experiment plays out. There are so many different reasons for homelessness, and some of them WANT to be homeless, they just can't or won't conform to society. I don't see how they are all supposed to come together and live all happy, happy in their new 27 acre commune.

"they just can't or won't conform to society. "
Some folks that run cows are like this also

Know 2 people that were at one time homeless because they like drugs that much. Both are very bright. One was a Kansas farm boy that can tear apart and fix about any machine, knows more about computers than I ever will and joined the airborne after he decided that living under a bridge wasn't for him. He's married to a great girl now and a contributes to society. I really like the guy and glad he decided to kick drugs and be apart of the world again.

The other comes from a very wealthy family. His mom is very successful at dealing in real estate in Hawaii. He just like meth more than he cared that he was homeless in Las Vegas. He literally could have been living in a mansion on the beach in Hawaii. When most of his friends were in jail, he figured he was headed there as well and made a decision to quit. Took two tries, but he's been sober for 4 or 5 years and is a hard worker.

We have safety nets. Just may not prevent everyone from being homeless, but you can't make decisions for them either. The safety net is that no matter what, people can find a warm meal and a roof if they want to follow the rules. I'm glad we have these nets. Sometimes people decide to make a life change and get back on their feet. Those successes are worth it.

My FIL started a homeless shelter. But he gets all kinds of bent out of shape when the news films the people sleeping out in the snow a few blocks away as a sob story. They're there because they don't want to follow the simple shelter rules.

I remember a time when we had a middle class and there were enough jobs for anyone that wanted to work. At that time, the homeless were few and far between. Then in the 80's we deregulated everything and started sending all our best jobs overseas. Cutting mental health help so many turned to drink and street drugs. Making things worse, in the 2000s the big banks, the stock market and insurance companies devastated the economy even further. Now we have homeless numbers in the millions.

But we can still find ways to blame the homeless for being homeless.

Other than blocking out reality, does the tin hat serve a purpose?

Worst times in recent past were the 70's until they were eclipsed by our current situation that double downed on what you claim was the problem in the 2000's.

The 80's part is laughable.

This is a thought-provoking read:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... alth-care/

I think we have a hard time doing a strict "cost-benefit analysis" when it comes to mental health treatment. It is true that the community mental health system has been decimated. We certainly have a lot of people who struggle with mental health issues in my community (a beautiful, but very jobs-poor (heck, just poor) area). There just is no help for them at all. Even if you have insurance or can pay cash, there are few mental health providers (psychiatrists, counselors). If you are poor, you are SOL---get on the county waiting list and maybe someone can see you next year. Seems to me we need to lock up the violent mentally ill, and offer better treatment to the rest. Would probably see rates of crime, homelessness, unwanted kids, etc etc all decline.

On the other hand, Alaska State Troopers (tv show) would be much less fun.

Nesikep":312hs422 said:
Dave, you're NOT homeless.. you're HOUSELESS

JJ Cale had a really good song called "Homeless"...

OK, I am houseless. Does it still qualify me to get a cardboard sign and stand by a freeway off ramp?

Dave":2v84db3g said:
Nesikep":2v84db3g said:

OK, I am houseless. Does it still qualify me to get a cardboard sign and stand by a freeway off ramp?
Don't forget your OD jacket and your dog. Those always help. No idea where those guys hide their BMW. If I ever see one of those dogs skinny I might make a donation.

Caustic Burno":3lbsfn3v said:
TexasBred":3lbsfn3v said:
highgrit":3lbsfn3v said:

That is what blew my mind about a lot of the inmates in our prison here.
Same thing TB except drugs. When they are dried out you would think this guy is too smart for that lifestyle.
The thing I could never wrap my head around was them telling you as soon as they get out they are going to do drugs.
The stuff out there today is that powerful. Or selling drugs and getting caught is just a part of doing business.
Going to prison only works as a deterrent to those who are afraid to go. They are not afraid to come back so we have a
revolving door.

A song I heard on the radio about an hour ago made me think of your post. The lyrics go like this (Aaron Watson):

The Prayer

My mountain is a mole hill
My throne's a busted chair
This crown has turn to rust
And it's all tangled in my hair
This high horse that I ride on
Is gonna buckle at the knee
Upon my castle made of sand
I cannot be the king of me

There's the man in white
His words are painted red
There's power in his blood
And only truth in what he said
There's the man in black
With a needle in his vein
Lyin' flat upon his back

This is the prayer that he once prayed

He said, "My mountain is a mole hill
On my castle made of sand
I cannot be the king of me"

And this harem in my heart is filled
With hot metal and fool's gold
Watch your statue turns to dirt
All that's left in the end is your soul
God save your soul

So he said, "Shout out of control
With all your heart and soul
Though this cold world
May tear you apart
Let the whole world know"

Lord I'm just a man
I cannot be the King of me

TexasBred":3w05xvwq said:
Dave":3w05xvwq said:
Nesikep":3w05xvwq said:

Don't forget your OD jacket and your dog. Those always help. No idea where those guys hide their BMW. If I ever see one of those dogs skinny I might make a donation.

I had to put my dog down about a month ago. I guess I could go to the dog pound and get one. So you are telling me to pick a skinny dog and keep him on light rations. I don't have an OD jacket but I do have a worn out barn coat that has more holes than coat. Will that work?

Dave":3u1uq35e said:
I had to put my dog down about a month ago. I guess I could go to the dog pound and get one. So you are telling me to pick a skinny dog and keep him on light rations. I don't have an OD jacket but I do have a worn out barn coat that has more holes than coat. Will that work?

The barn jacket will work. Just make sure the sign says your a veteran. And yes do not let the dog get fat. He has to look like he's starving to death...hounds work best. If necessary and you have a bit of a problem with your own weight you might buy a membership down at Gold's Gym and make sure you stay thin and fit too....oh... don't shave either. (Almost sounds like I've done this. :lol2: :lol2: ). I have always wanted to give it a try and just see what happened. I'd probably get mugged and not have a dime in my can. I hear some make 6 figures a year doing this.

TexasBred":2zwzkdpn said:
Dave":2zwzkdpn said:

The barn jacket will work. Just make sure the sign says your a veteran. And yes do not let the dog get fat. He has to look like he's starving to death...hounds work best. If necessary and you have a bit of a problem with your own weight you might buy a membership down at Gold's Gym and make sure you stay thin and fit too....oh... don't shave either. (Almost sounds like I've done this. :lol2: :lol2: ). I have always wanted to give it a try and just see what happened. I'd probably get mugged and not have a dime in my can. I hear some make 6 figures a year doing this.

I realize it was just one happenstance, but I was caught at an intersection light during the Christmas season one year. The guy looked needy and I felt a little generous. When he stuck his cup out for the money I couldn't help but notice what a really nice watch he was wearing. Since that time I've just given directly to the Mission when the urge hits.