Hobby farmers Valuable asset to the Economy!

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Got to thinking about this Hobby Farmer issue last night. And when you think about it the Hobby Farmer probably does as much or more to help our Agriculture economy and General Economy as a full time Rancher.

Think of all the excess feed we buy

All the unnecessary shots and vaccinations we buy

All the film and cameras we buy to take pictures of our Cattle

All the new ford trucks we purchase

Then new stock trailers (plus quarters to wash them every week)

The magazines and Books we buy on how to farm

The money generated through float tank sales

Income we generate for local veterinarians

Special soaps and fitting supplies to keep our cattle clean and looking good.

Just think how many more cowboy hats and boots are sold each year due to hobbyist?

All the fencing supplies sold so a hobbyist with a 1 acre yard can now have a pasture.

How many extra bulls that are sold so a hobbyist with 3 cows can have a calf crop.

I am sure I am missing some but, us hobbyist are probably carrying a big part of the Agriculture Economy on our backs. :D

Please add any that I am missing?

:lol: :lol: :lol: very very good

what about all the bad cattle we buy

Hobby Farmers are 75% of our business.They seem to have more disposable income than some of the big dawgs.They sure enough dont pinch buffaloes as hard either. Plus, they are fun to educate. :lol: People not being able to afford a big place or not wanting to farm anymore, are what's driving land prices up here.Some cant take care of a half acre, how would they manage 500??

Hello,
I have watched these boards for a while and this topic finally made me join. I have heard Caustic and others whine about so called hobyist. Caustic why dont you go get a real job job if ranching is so bad that some guy with four cows takes money away from you. Johndeerefarmer its my opinion that old farmers keep new people from becomeing farmers by not selling land at a reasonable price in the first place and waiting for some city guy to come along who will pay a premium just to hunt there. Just my thoughts.

johndeerefarmer":1aoi9hro said:
You also jack the price of land up so that the real farmers and ranchers can no longer afford it. :(
Are you some kind of Elitist? If your a 'Real' farmer or rancher you either built it up from something smaller or was given your property from family before who built it up. Instead of being antagonistic or bitter sounding toward us 'Not-Real" farmers, you should be part of the appreciatiation for this part of the industry. And I guarentee that nothing I have ever done affected your property value- for worse anyways.

aplusmnt":2q2b7z1u said:
Got to thinking about this Hobby Farmer issue last night. And when you think about it the Hobby Farmer probably does as much or more to help our Agriculture economy and General Economy as a full time Rancher.

Think of all the excess feed we buy

All the unnecessary shots and vaccinations we buy

All the film and cameras we buy to take pictures of our Cattle

All the new ford trucks we purchase

Then new stock trailers (plus quarters to wash them every week)

The magazines and Books we buy on how to farm

The money generated through float tank sales

Income we generate for local veterinarians

Special soaps and fitting supplies to keep our cattle clean and looking good.

Just think how many more cowboy hats and boots are sold each year due to hobbyist?

All the fencing supplies sold so a hobbyist with a 1 acre yard can now have a pasture.

How many extra bulls that are sold so a hobbyist with 3 cows can have a calf crop.

I am sure I am missing some but, us hobbyist are probably carrying a big part of the Agriculture Economy on our backs. :D

Please add any that I am missing?

:lol: :lol: :lol: The way you said it was funny but what you said is true.

you brought up a good point about the land prices.a 1500ac ranch just sold close to me.an he will break it up in 50ac mini farms an sale it.an the people will pay though the nose for it.as for the old farmers not selling land thats bull.b/cyje land is handed down though the generations.my farm has been in the family over 100yrs.an i intend an hope for it to stay in the family.an not sold off for the money.you farm b/c you love it.an its a way of life.a place to raise your kids.an be with them an watch them grow up.teach them the ways of the land.

Don't forget about the little tractors and shredders and discs and blades and etc.........

Plus a special trailer to carry that stuff on.

Plus a special built place to keep that stuff out of the rain.

Plus ....................

To you "real cattlemen" If a developer came to you and offered you $50K and acre to turn you place into a housing develpoment, what would you do?

A 200 acre place is now worth $10 million.

I do know a family that took $52k an acre and sold for the housing development. Farm had been in the family for over 100 years. The whole family is crying all the way to the bank...not.

Alan

In the dairy alert this morning they sadi that the dairys in the Chino, CA area are selling out and moving. They're getting $550,000.00 an acre. I would even sell my dog for that kind of money

dun

Every man has his price no matter what ties he has to the land. I sold my best piece of farmland to a developing ethanol plant just because I couldn't say no to the money.

as to what id take for the land.they cant touch it for less than a million an ac.an in my book thats thinking money.dont want or need money that bad.to sale my way of life down the river.

Here's my question... What *IS* a hobby farmer?? I mean, where's the line between being a 'real' farmer and being a 'hobby' farmer??

Opinions?

cmjust0":1equ00jx said:
Here's my question... What *IS* a hobby farmer?? I mean, where's the line between being a 'real' farmer and being a 'hobby' farmer??

Opinions?

I think it's a matter of time in, or being born into it.

We once lived in a very small town. After a couple of year of living there we ask a "local" how long before we were considered locals? He replied "when everyone that was here before you has died.

Same principle?
Alan

cmjust0":znr30dzy said:

Opinions?
I think you can be a hobby farmer as long as you want. its when you make a living doing it that you cross that line .

ALACOWMAN":2cbbs8kn said:
cmjust0":2cbbs8kn said:

Opinions?
I think you can be a hobby farmer as long as you want. its when you make a living doing it that you cross that line .

That sounds right to me.
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts