Hobby farmers Valuable asset to the Economy!

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALACOWMAN":1608yq1z said:
redfornow":1608yq1z said:
Well I have a dear friend that runs a little over a thousand head of momma's has for twenty-five plus years.
But makes his "real" living off the farm, I will tell him next time we load the semi's he is a hobby boy. :roll:

MD
you tell him what you want. but if he has a thousand head of cattle he's a he!! of a long way from being a hobbist. man this sht aint rocket science.

Thats my point exactly,

MD

ALACOWMAN":91vjw8u2 said:
Dont need no new one. are the payments that go with um

Amen to that.. You might just be alright afterall.. :lol:

I'm looking for a cattle hauling truck right now, but I don't care so much what it is.. So long as it's diesel, has as few power options as possible, has a manual transmission, and would appear to have at least a little life left in it.. That could be Dodge, Ford, or Chevy, and any of those three could be regular cab, extra cab, crew cab, short bed, long bed, flat bed, dually, whatever.. As long as it satisifies the first few criteria and I can afford to buy it outright, I don't really care about the rest..

(I would like A/C, but I'm not proud of that.... :lol: )

Bullbuyer":3vbj1t4v said:
On the lighter side of this debate, I have a question from the initial post on this subject.
Why does everybody go out and buy a new Ford truck ? Seems like thats all I see around sale barns and at the feed mill.
I guess me and the old Chevy might be a dying breed.

I've gone Ford. Still got my old Chevy with 250K plus miles and it did not hold up as long as the old ones did. This Ford Diesel is my first Ford and we'll see how it does after 200K.

I have also gone automatic since they are rated to pull more. It used to be the opposite until about 10 years ago. You can't pull as much weight with a standard now. So my last 3 have been automatics. This is one of those things I could have won many bets on. Had an uncle that insisted standards were rated for more until I finally showed him the specs. When he was riding with me and I had over 11 tons behind me and accelerated up hill, he was finally convinced. Truck shifts 6 times from 0 to 70 mph. Since it starts in first I am assuming 7 gears?

dun":118wa1a9 said:
In the dairy alert this morning they sadi that the dairys in the Chino, CA area are selling out and moving. They're getting $550,000.00 an acre. I would even sell my dog for that kind of money

dun

Dun.....for that kind of price, they are welcome to the dog, kids and if they need a cook I would discuss the wife with them :D

So does this mean if you drive a Ford you're a hobby farmer or if you drive a Chevy you're a real farmer or if you drive a Dodge you're a goat or ram farmer?

Life is so confusing after 50!!!

aplusmnt":2nbs40oz said:
Dun.....for that kind of price, they are welcome to the dog, kids and if they need a cook I would discuss the wife with them

I'd knock somebody down with my deed for a lot less money than $550,000/acre.. Like, 5% of that... :lol:

(Most likely even less than 5%!.. :oops: :lol: )

jw":1z6ildpk said:
So does this mean if you drive a Ford you're a hobby farmer or if you drive a Chevy you're a real farmer or if you drive a Dodge you're a goat or ram farmer?

At one time I had all three. Must be a bad theory.

Dodge front end was gone in less than 100K.

Also have Caterpillar, Massey Furguson, even got a 4 wheeler. Definately qualify for hobbyist, even tho its only three notches up the scale from the real thing:D

I'll try to stay out of the debate over what kind of farmer drives what kind of truck. But I'll say this much for sure. You'd better be a darn good farmer to pay for any of these new ones - or have a 'city job' that covers it.
Years ago it seemed to me there were some folks making a pretty good living growing vegetables. I figure that has gone south as have a lot of markets.

Boy when the word Hobby comes up the nails come out :D The post was more in jest.

To get back on subject.

Just think of all the money we spend on lawnmower accessories, a seeder and fertilizer, small tiller, scraper

Think of all the cups of coffee and donuts we buy at local restaurant so we can hang with the real farmers

Chainsaws even though we only have 10 trees and they are painted white half way up

Weed whackers to clear out our fence rows

Helping out the gas companies because we drive 500 miles to buy a bull we saw on internet, when a better bull was just a mile down the road at neighbors farm for sale.

Money spent to pay someone (or buy equipment) to come harvest our 3 acres of hay, when we could have bought it cheaper down the road.

All the money we generate for the Angus producers because we must have the most popular breed out there.

Surely I am forgetting some? Caustic I know you have to know some ways we are helping the economy?

jw":17ehaoed said:

most ranchers partimers or fulltimers if you will notice drive a wallowed out piece of sht. they put their money were it counts like cattle improvement, barns, handling facilities,land, pasture improvements. yall have really taken this hobbie thing too heart. we are all on here to talk about cows

Bullbuyer":2px8t7us said:
On the lighter side of this debate, I have a question from the initial post on this subject.
Why does everybody go out and buy a new Ford truck ? Seems like thats all I see around sale barns and at the feed mill.

Because Fords are better then the others!

dun

dun":36cihaj4 said:
Bullbuyer":36cihaj4 said:

dun
I think dun just broke the curse on this here hobby post now the real bs begins ;-)

I am trying to make my full time work on the farm pay as much, or more than my off farm income. I have part time off farm work and can't take any more work because of committments here. No idea what I would be "classified" as, but I really don't care.

It is pretty clear to me that a lot of people here don't get to town much or read urban papers. I don't blame them. But if they did they would see our way of life ( and our businesses ) are in jeopardy.

Whether a person has 1 grass calf, or 20 purebreds or 50,000 feeders, they are all likely friends of the beef business. We need as many friends as we can get. We need as many people supporting urban lifestyles and values as we can get. We need people who encourage beef consumption.

The threats to our way of life are well funded and organized. The more good people we have on our side the better.

And to those who say they wouldn't sell their land for any price, I understand exactly what you are saying. I am not attached to the land I am on now, but would give almost anything to be able to farm the land I grew up on. Things change as you get older, priorites change as well.

The more beef friendly folks - the better! :)

ALACOWMAN":29ofazxh said:
dun":29ofazxh said:
Bullbuyer":29ofazxh said:

dun
I think dun just broke the curse on this here hobby post now the real bs begins ;-)

I just felt a little more stick poking was in order

dun

All this chatting and I just got one statement - Didn't EBAY start off as a hobbie - and they made money the day they set up the web page. What does this have to do with cattle. I believe that it is not titles it is the commitment and dedication that leads to success - Oh crap now we have to define success. :shock:

T&S Ranch":79kmrp33 said:
Hello,
I have watched these boards for a while and this topic finally made me join. I have heard Caustic and others whine about so called hobyist. Caustic why dont you go get a real job job if ranching is so bad that some guy with four cows takes money away from you. Johndeerefarmer its my opinion that old farmers keep new people from becomeing farmers by not selling land at a reasonable price in the first place and waiting for some city guy to come along who will pay a premium just to hunt there. Just my thoughts.

Why don't you come out from behind that new handle you have made up. I never said I thought ranching was bad. I do have a real job run stock in NY and Texas. Second I wouldn't lease an acre to you city boys to hunt on heck most of you can't tell cow flop from wild honey.

Caustic Burno":1ls7lytj said:
Second I wouldn't lease an acre to you city boys to hunt on heck most of you can't tell cow flop from wild honey.

Oh my god! What have I been putting on my toast! :eek: :shock:

after reading and examining some of the comments on these boards. The ones that are always talking crap need a good attitude adjustment.Hank says it;ll work everytime That's the problem with some of you. the ones that this offends, maybe I am talking to you. maybe one day a CITY boy might just give you one. I was wondering why my bread tasted and smelled funny

plbcattle":1zmspxoi said:
after reading and examining some of the comments on these boards. The ones that are always talking crap need a good attitude adjustment.Hank says it;ll work everytime That's the problem with some of you. the ones that this offends, maybe I am talking to you. maybe one day a CITY boy might just give you one. I was wondering why my bread tasted and smelled funny

WOW that was almost scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.