Hey dudes and babes, pass the bong!

Help Support CattleToday:

Here in Arkansas we were just voting to allow alcohol sales state wide. It failed. We still have half of the 75 counties dry and half wet. Interesting looking at the results. It passed in most of the dry counties and failed in most of the wet ones. Couldn't have anything to do with the propaganda political ads strategically placed in each county.
Over all I'm happy with our state election results. Just still a bit pizzed I can't buy a beer in a "free" country because I live in a county where the churches have a stranglehold on local politics. Most have preachers that drive across the state line to give Oklahoma some tax revenue. Around here, we call that a crock pot full of shyt.

I have a friend in law enforcement. He said if Idaho would legalize it, it would save a ton of money. I think it's a great idea, no worse than booze. Good thing I'm 20 miles from the Oregon border. I'll be visiting soon!

larryshoat":35mh798t said:
JWBrahman":35mh798t said:
I reckon then you could legalize murder and robbery and you would have the lowest crime rate in the country. Then all the deadbeats here that are on welfare because they can't pass a drug test to get a job could move down there.

Larry

Larry, what in the world are you talking about? How does saying a kid who may have smoked pot should be able to play football lead you to believe we should legalize murder and robbery?

:banana: :bs: :bs: :bs:

I'm just saying you can legalize anything you want that doesn't make it a good idea. Obviously we disagree and thats fine I think your point of view is becoming more popular by the day. I'm just a fat old square farmer from the mid west that wants to ruin everybody's good time. I just want people to get up and go to work and provide for their families, take good care of their kids. Far too many can't let go of the pipe long enough to do that.

Larry

Larry
Well Larry, dopers will do what dopers are gonna do. You can't stop them from being what they are.

Bestoutwest":2t1tcvpy said:
I have a friend in law enforcement. He said if Idaho would legalize it, it would save a ton of money. I think it's a great idea, no worse than booze. Good thing I'm 20 miles from the Oregon border. I'll be visiting soon!
So you'll drive 20 miles to get high? And then what, drive back home while still high?

Hook":tkwv787j said:
Bestoutwest":tkwv787j said:
So you'll drive 20 miles to get high? And then what, drive back home while still high?

No. Go on a vacation to the coast or somewhere pretty in the state. I'd never drive like that. Same as drunk driving and should be treated the same. I have use for that, seen too many MVA victims in the trauma room.

Cheech and Chong got high and drove all the time ...... Nothing ever happened to them ...... Man

Ouachita":1w2kq7yo said:
Here in Arkansas we were just voting to allow alcohol sales state wide. It failed. We still have half of the 75 counties dry and half wet. Interesting looking at the results. It passed in most of the dry counties and failed in most of the wet ones. Couldn't have anything to do with the propaganda political ads strategically placed in each county.
Over all I'm happy with our state election results. Just still a bit pizzed I can't buy a beer in a "free" country because I live in a county where the churches have a stranglehold on local politics. Most have preachers that drive across the state line to give Oklahoma some tax revenue. Around here, we call that a crock pot full of shyt.

Issue #4, often referred to as the alcohol beverage amendment failed by a wide margin statewide, and was not favored by Clay County voters as they cast 2,399 votes against the measure while 1,582 voted yes. Clay County is dry.

The funding came from these guys: Arkansas Beverage Retailers Association (Wet Counties), Citizens for Local Rights (More Wet County Retailers) and Pastor Revel Kidd.

Arguments
Pastor Revel Kidd from Hempstead County opposed the legalizing of alcohol sales, saying it leads to problems for marriages and children.
A letter from the Arkansas Beverage Retailers Association stated: "Obviously this [approval of Issue 4] would be catastrophic for county line liquor stores around the state, but it also has dire consequences for stores in currently wet counties and wet metropolitan areas. The industry in Arkansas as we have known it would be turned upside down, with the result of inviting global retailers like Walmart, Kroger, Walgreens, Target and others to enter the business at their existing locations with the inevitable impact on existing operators' sales and margins."
According to a report on Issue 4 published by The Public Policy Center of the University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Research and Extension, arguments in opposition to Issue 4 included:

What do opponents say? - The amendment would take away a local community's ability to decide the issue of alcohol sales.
If passed, this amendment would create a dangerous situation of liquor sales being legal within 1,000 feet of a school, day care or church.
Alcohol has numerous negative health and social effects. Alcohol use contributes to heart and liver damage, car crashes and crime.

http://ballotpedia.org/Arkansas_Alcohol ... ue_4_(2014)

Campaign contributions
Three ballot question committees raised a total of $2,769,684 in opposition to Issue 4. The following amounts were accurate as of October 23, 2014.

Total campaign cash for the Issue #4 was Zero where those opposing raised $2,769,684 to fight the proposition.
Let Local Communities Decide for Themselves $1,704,684
Arkansas Beverage Retailers Association Fund $490,000
Conway County Liquor Association Fund $575,000

Top contributors:
CCLA $575,000
Conway Co. Liquor Association $558,000
Shamrock Liquor $150,000
Poinsett Package Store $140,000

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/e ... diaID=7974

HD, I just noticed your Clay County was/is a dry county and voted against. I also see that Clay County is next door to MO, and AR wet county.
I can't figure how to post the picture in the link above, but if you'll look at it, I'm in the middle on the western edge of that big dry spot. Polk County. We voted dry, dry, dry, forever. This time we voted wet. Made no difference. Even though I can't buy bait and beer at the same time ;-) , I'm still proud to live in a conservative state.

wet_dry_map_f.gif

Latest posts