Herefords for beginners?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan":2t6qayxy said:
If you're going to breed your pure bred polled Herefords to anything other than a pure bred Hereford, breed it to a black angus. I say this because you'll get good growth out of the calves and the country seems to be stuck on black hides, they will be easier to sell at a higher price. Heck, my wife brought home some hot dogs from the store the other day.... They were "angus" hot dogs, meaning the word angus in big letters across the front of the pack..... What the ? They are hot dogs not filets or T-Bones.

JMO,
Alan
its been that way for years,, not really something new... black baldies were pretty big part of ranches and still are

alacattleman":1xjye8g7 said:
Alan":1xjye8g7 said:
If you're going to breed your pure bred polled Herefords to anything other than a pure bred Hereford, breed it to a black angus. I say this because you'll get good growth out of the calves and the country seems to be stuck on black hides, they will be easier to sell at a higher price. Heck, my wife brought home some hot dogs from the store the other day.... They were "angus" hot dogs, meaning the word angus in big letters across the front of the pack..... What the ? They are hot dogs not filets or T-Bones.

JMO,
Alan
its been that way for years,, not really something new... black baldies were pretty big part of ranches and still are

Oh, we really don't need to open this can of worms again do we? :D My post was a bit tounge in cheek, but are black angus any better as a whole than red angus? Or because of excessive breeding with blacks are reds a little better? It's just my personal feelings on the whole CAB AND CHB cr@p. In the interest of full disclosure, if I can ever get my herd of polled Herefords to the point I'm much more happy with what I have I may throw some black angus in the mix for baldies in the freezer... They do sell better.

Alan

Alan":2p7vyhwf said:
alacattleman":2p7vyhwf said:
Alan":2p7vyhwf said:

JMO,
Alan

Oh, we really don't need to open this can of worms again do we? :D My post was a bit tounge in cheek, but are black angus any better as a whole than red angus? Or because of excessive breeding with blacks are reds a little better? It's just my personal feelings on the whole CAB AND CHB cr@p. In the interest of full disclosure, if I can ever get my herd of polled Herefords to the point I'm much more happy with what I have I may throw some black angus in the mix for baldies in the freezer... They do sell better.

Alan
no they are not,, i can say that. without prejudice.

Latest posts