Herefords for beginners?

Help Support CattleToday:

reece1962

Reaction score
I have bought a 12 acre farm in Kentucky, which has great grass, excellent fence, a barn, and a spring fed pond. I am thinking of a few head of Polled Hereford to start with. From what I am reading they are hearty, easy calving, and docile. These are the traits I am wanting because I dont want to be pulling calves or chasing runaways unless I really have to. However, every breed I hear or read about claims the same positive traits. Should someone with no cattle experience start out with Herefords?

They are as good a breed to start with as any, just make sure you have an experienced breeder help you buy your startup herd.

I agree with dun. Yes, someone with no cattle experience should do well with Herefords. They are a good breed, docile, and usually good calvers.

Yes, they are the best , or 1st choice....for all the reason you name....BUT they may be either hard to find or pricey , expensive $$$$$$$$$...

A second choice would be a F-1 Hereford X Angus cross, either black or Red, whatever color sells best in your area .....bred to a Reg. hereford Bull....the f-1 part is what I am stressing here...

A third would be fullblood/pureblood (Black or Red) Angus cows with a GOOD Reg. Hereford bull...Either red or black baldies, The plus is the Bull will still be a Hereford....Tame , Quite, easy going, good natured...

Herefords I believe are a good safe beginner cattle, I also think that Black Angus are a good safe beginner cows, the difference is a Hereford Bull is the Bull a beginner needs to use,for all reasons stated befor ....All cattle should behave as well as Herefords.....

djinwa":f792jh9y said:
I think you'd learn more if you started with Brahma.

Like what....Running....Jumping.....Diving :help: :help: :help: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

As stated above the key for a beginner is to get the RIGHT Herefords. Healthy, well cared for/docile and reasonably good conformation. They are not all like that.

I would suggest buying a couple cow/calf pairs or 3-fer's from a breeder or a good broker, not on your own at the sale barn. Should be available bred this time of year. Then you don't need to mess with a bull for awhile.

Yes they will be expensive, maybe $900-1000 for a commercial (non-registered) 3-fer but worth it especially starting out. Go for quality not quantity. jmho and beginner experience. Jim

sounds like an ideal place for a small cattle operation and herefords are an ideal choice. they're everthing you mentioned in your needs list! i would follow the advice giver you on the 3fers, i wish someone had suggested that to me years back.

djinwa":36glxnbr said:
I think you'd learn more if you started with Brahma.
Over all I would agree with the Hereford.
As far as the Brahman go I would have put mine up against any Hereford for docility.
Docility is a genetic trait that can be selected for and bred into any breed. It is my understanding that some breeds are now including it in their EPD's. The Brahman Asoc. should follow suit.

When I first started a few years ago, I bought 4 Polled Hereford heifers, I also had very little experience with cattle. Looking back 10 years later, I believe it was the wise thing for me. They were just weaned so I had a full year to "get use to them". By that I mean get to know habits as far as fences, hot wire, feeding, body condition, minerals, worming and vaccines. So when I was ready to get them bred I had had them for a year, almost 2 years when they calved, they were use to me and I was used to them. Sure I lost money doing it that way, but as you'll find out 10 years later you'll probably will still be losing money.... You don't get into cattle as a hobby guy to make money..... On the plus side it's relaxing and really nice when your freezer is full of your own beef and and your looking down at your favorite steer........ Right next to the baked potato and ear of corn.

With 12 acres I'm going to GUESS that it will support 4 to 5 cow calf pairs without a bull, whatever cattle you buy I would go to a good breeder and tell them what you are looking for, easy calving, good temperament, etc. I'm sure there are folks on this board that can help finding a good breeder or you can google Kentucky Hereford association to locate one.

Good luck,
Alan

I agree with everyone here. By all means contact the KY Hereford Breeders as there are some good ones. What part of KY are you loacted in? If not far from the Tennessee line PM me and I'll give you the name of a couple good TN breeders in the northern part of TN. If I were looking to buy "more" herefords right now I would contact Danny Miller in Knifey,KY. Good guy, good cattle. His website is www.jmsvictordomino.com. Look at it and give him a call. I believe you will be happy. Take Care

you just cant beat herefords.but im gonna throw the curve ball.wich do you want polled or horned herefords.as said get your herefords from a good breeder that has calm gentle cattle.

I could not find any ear in Minnnesota,
and I don't pay big premiums for cows,
so bought another 30 red white face commerical Herefords last fall.

One was high headed but she is gone,
and one are a little edgy,
and one is a poor milker
but 90% are just right black baldie makers.

Well thanks for the information and opinions. I think I will go with the purebred Herefords. I read somewhere else from a guy who crosses his Herefords with a Highland bull and the calves are faster gainers and finish out bigger than pure Herefords. Ya'll think this is true? Also heard that Highland bulls over black Angus heifers produce great calves? How can this be? Aint a Highland smaller than Herefords and Angus?

If you're going to breed your pure bred polled Herefords to anything other than a pure bred Hereford, breed it to a black angus. I say this because you'll get good growth out of the calves and the country seems to be stuck on black hides, they will be easier to sell at a higher price. Heck, my wife brought home some hot dogs from the store the other day.... They were "angus" hot dogs, meaning the word angus in big letters across the front of the pack..... What the ? They are hot dogs not filets or T-Bones.

JMO,
Alan