Hereford w/ brown rings around eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

riquezada

Reaction score
I remember years ago there was a Hereford strain developed that had brown rings (hair) around there eyes. Supposedly to cut down on pinkeye due to the light skin pigment Herefords have. I think someone in TX or OK developed them. Anybody know anythng about them?

There are many Herfs with this trait - not just some strain in the southern U.S. of A.

Have a few myself.

Bez

Bez":ni5khkkq said:
There are many Herfs with this trait - not just some strain in the southern U.S. of A.

Have a few myself.

Bez

Jimmy Farrington of Texas was known for the speckled face Herefords.

Many Hereford breeders breed for this trait nowadays. Some believe that it shows something else in the blood, but if you can breed the horns off Herefords and keep them off, and you can breed color markings and other characteristics in cattle, then in enough generations you can breed pigmentation around the eyes. :)

Try Strang Herefords, Co, and and Lapp Herefords, NE

Adding on to what 1848 said, Herefords have also been bred to now have about a 50/50 percentage of red/white necks, with some breeders focusing solely on one or the other.

The goggled-eyes on the Herefords has to do with preventing cancer eye, not pinkeye. Any of our cows with pigmented eyelids contract pinkeye just as easy as those who have white eyelids.
The two worst breeds for cancer eye are Herefords and Holsteins. The rate at which cancer attacks the eye in these breeds is determined by 2 factors: the strain of cancer and the inherited genetics. Cancer eye is believed to have a heridity factor of 0.4. Animals whose eyes bulge from the sockets are more likely to contract cancer eye, compared to those whose eyes rest normally in the sockets. Animals who have 'hooded' eyes (top of skull protrudes over the eye) can pass on this trait, are unlikely to contract cancer eye, and should be selected for this trait. Animals with white eyelids are more susceptable to cancer than those with a large patch of brown covering the entire eye area. If the animal has little pigmentation, it is more important to keep or purchase animals that have brown on the lower eyelid, rather than the upper eyelid. This is due to the angle at which UV rays hit the eye and the eyelid. The reason brown over the entire eye is preferred is because a cow's EYE is unpigmented at birth and becomes fully pigmented at an age of about 4-5 years. The amount of pigmentation deposited in the eye is directly correlated to the amount of pigmentation surrounding the eye. Therefore, brown covering the entire eyelid area results in cows whose eye's are completely pigmented when mature, lessening the chance of cancer eye.

Aaron, it is always a pleasure to read your posts. Both here and on rancher's. Always well spoken and well versed. Thank you for your contribution to these boards. :cboy:

Aaron":1bkkvk9w said:
The goggled-eyes on the Herefords has to do with preventing cancer eye, not pinkeye. Any of our cows with pigmented eyelids contract pinkeye just as easy as those who have white eyelids.

Amen!

Animals whose eyes bulge from the sockets are more likely to contract cancer eye, compared to those whose eyes rest normally in the sockets. Animals who have 'hooded' eyes (top of skull protrudes over the eye) can pass on this trait, are unlikely to contract cancer eye, and should be selected for this trait.

Tell it all brother, tell it all! :D

If the animal has little pigmentation, it is more important to keep or purchase animals that have brown on the lower eyelid, rather than the upper eyelid. This is due to the angle at which UV rays hit the eye and the eyelid.

...and we are gathered here today to honor Aaron..yada yada

Good post Aaron!

Just a couple of observations. Brown hair around the eye isn;t the same thing as pigment around the eye. They can be pigmented and not have brown/red hair around them. I've observed cows that have a break in the pigment and seen flys line up in the pink (none pigmented) part. Flys can/do transmit pinkeye. So keeping a solid pigment ring around the eye is another method of decreasing the incidence of pinkeye.
The only cow I've ever personally seen with cancer eye was a solid black.
That said, I still like a goggle eyed cow better then a straight white faced one. With those you don;t have to look to make sure they're pigmented.

dun

dun":nl61vrtg said:
Just a couple of observations. Brown hair around the eye isn;t the same thing as pigment around the eye. They can be pigmented and not have brown/red hair around them.

True. I often describe the actual "pigmentation" to my customers as like having (women help me here) maskera? around the eyes.. :lol:

dun":31flu41z said:
Just a couple of observations. Brown hair around the eye isn;t the same thing as pigment around the eye. They can be pigmented and not have brown/red hair around them.
dun

Very true. I would say 10% of our cows are actually goggle-eyed and 80% have the slit of brown on the lid without any brown hairs. Only about 10% are actually whitefaced. Just noticed today that we had a cow with pinkeye. Thought we would be free without a case this year...darn it!. Sure came up fast as the eye was almost completely white today and I saw her Monday evening and her eyes were completely fine at that time.

Latest posts