Hereford Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I wanted to buy a couple of registered Hereford cows in order to start a very small hobby farm herd. I wanted to find some genetics that would work well in a "grass only" finish situation. I'm just outside Kansas City and would appreciate your suggestions on which ranches I might want to contact.

Thank you for your help!

Lonker Herefords is having a sale on November 14th in Medicine Lodge, Kansas. I don't have a catalog but they are selling 175 Hereford and Red Angus registered females, 200 commercial females (Red Angus and Black Angus), and 60 18 month old bulls. You might want to head over there and AT LEAST watch and learn. If you go report back to us what the Gerber Granger 113G daughters look like. He is most impressive in his photo; but that is all that I know of him. http://www.lonker.com. EE Ranches, Inc has excellent horned Herefords. I have been to their Miss. unit several times; but have never been to the Kansas unit in Fall River, though I assume the Kansas cattle are just as good. Their Bull and Female Sale in Kansas is on March 19th.

L Weir":3vzce776 said:
If the American Royal is still going on you could travel there to talk to some Hereford breeders.

Show is over but not certain if breeders are still there? Lots of nice ones there. Upstream ranch done well, might check with them on availability of females.JHH

Make sure you find out what type of forage/feed system they're on. Cattle that are creep fed or used to a high plain of nutrition won;t do the same when they get to the real world of average feed quality.

dun

dun":3qntae7c said:
Make sure you find out what type of forage/feed system they're on. Cattle that are creep fed or used to a high plain of nutrition won;t do the same when they get to the real world of average feed quality.

dun

Thanks for catching that dun. Reread that question and I see that they want grass fed only genetics.JHH

jhambley":1v13m0c1 said:
I wanted to buy a couple of registered Hereford cows in order to start a very small hobby farm herd. I wanted to find some genetics that would work well in a "grass only" finish situation. I'm just outside Kansas City and would appreciate your suggestions on which ranches I might want to contact.

Thank you for your help!

There is a farm in PARIS MO. that raises grass finished hereford cattle but can't remember what there name is will try and get that info to you.JHH

Check your inbox.

A list of those I know of that are developing cattle with the ability to finish on grass would include Jim Lents of Indiahoma, OK, Bent Tree Farms of Fort Payne, Alabama http://www.bentreefarms.com (Teddy and Linda Gentry), and while the following breeder is not focused entirely to that end, Richard Day of Roff, Ok, has some genetics that will do it as well.

Been a while since I saw one of Teddy's sale catalogs. But I don't remember ever being impressed with his stock, any of the breeds he runs.

certherfbeef":8ntz6nwx said:
Been a while since I saw one of Teddy's sale catalogs. But I don't remember ever being impressed with his stock, any of the breeds he runs.

The search is for genetics that will finish on grass. I haven't seen much of Teddy's stock. I just know that he advertises grass genetics. I do like one bull that he owns an interest in. The evaluation of the quality of the stock is up to the prospective buyer. There just aren't that many grass finished outfits out there to my knowledge, although I understand that it may be gaining popularity among the health-foods crowd.

jhambley":2lof6wes said:

Thank you for your help!

You might check this website out. Note: this is in no way an endorsement.

http://www.slanker.com/index.htm

I may be completely off my rocker on this; but I still think a medium frame score 4-5 run of the mill Hereford (you can buy almost anywhere) will perform on a grass finishing regimen well enough to satisfy your typical family's needs. We have just held back our smallest steer for years with our personal beef and have gotten just about as much marbling as supermarket Selects have even without letting him sit out there to the ideal 18 months of age. Tell a breeder you want his smallest framed easiest fleshing shortest bodied little mama and most herds can find you a suitable cow or two (probably at an affordable price). Paying a premium for a frame score 2 "Classic" Hereford just seems WRONG to me somehow.

The Lents Anxiety 4th Herefords look outstanding on grass only. Couple that with the fact that they are the most genetically stable cattle on planet earth (as verified by DNA testing against other linebred strains such as Line Ones), and I don't think a man could go wrong buying there.

jhambley":ltcctciw said:
I wanted to buy a couple of registered Hereford cows in order to start a very small hobby farm herd.

Just curious; why registered.

It's hard enough to make a profit in a small operation without Association and registration fees. Most agree that you'll make ~$100 profit per cow with a cow/calf operation. Since your really small, keeping a bull would cut into the profits significantly, so that leaves AI fees, which also cut into your profits. I doubt that you'll make $75 profit per cow, with only 2 head. The AHA association membership and activation fee will take $115 per year right off the top. If you register your 2 calves electronically before 4 months of age, that'll take another $20. According to my calculations, that leaves $15. It will cost way more than $15 for the 2 registration certificates required by the bull you used for AI (min. $25ea. - $75ea.). For 2 cows, I'm seeing a $185 - $285 financial liability in costs just for going registered vs. commercial. Do you have the ability to market your calves for a higher price than the normal sale barn prices? If not, maybe you'll want to reconsider commercial vs. registered.

I know you asked about cattle that finish well on grass, but it sounds like you're just starting out, and plan to stay small. That's why I brought this up. Just trying to be helpful. :D

He is starting a "small hobby farm". That means he is not expecting to live off of the income. This is a rest, relaxation, and pride of ownership thing (and maybe a little bit of a tax hedge) more than it is an actual business. IF I am buying 2 cows OF COURSE they would be registered!!! The added cost is virtually trivial on that small an investment and if 2 cows are going to live right next to my house they had darn sure better look good and be the kind of cows I can brag about a little. NOW somebody with 350 acres who was looking to buy a HUNDRED cows (unless he really had confidence in himself and his marketing ability) would be a LOT better off buying crossbred commercial cows.

Brandonm2":2uq6rm6y said:
He is starting a "small hobby farm". That means he is not expecting to live off of the income. This is a rest, relaxation, and pride of ownership thing (and maybe a little bit of a tax hedge) more than it is an actual business. IF I am buying 2 cows OF COURSE they would be registered!!! The added cost is virtually trivial on that small an investment and if 2 cows are going to live right next to my house they had darn sure better look good and be the kind of cows I can brag about a little. NOW somebody with 350 acres who was looking to buy a HUNDRED cows (unless he really had confidence in himself and his marketing ability) would be a LOT better off buying crossbred commercial cows.

That wasn't my point. You can buy Heifers from Registered stock at a small discount, if the breeder doesn't send in the paperwork. The cattle don't know they don't have papers! The genetics and appearance would be the same, but you don't carry the costs of membership & registration. If it's just a hobby/tax hedge, sure, why not spend whatever you want to support your hobby. There's nothing wrong with either choice. Personally, I'd prefer a hobby that breaks even or makes a little $$$. By your response, I think you took it that I was criticizing. I'm not! I'm just asking HIS reasons for going the registered route.

As a side note, I'm debating the value of registering my fall crop of "non-commercial" heifers. If I keep them for replacements, they'll stay on my farm until they are culls. Culls with papers have no more value than those without. Not all calves should be breeding stock, so that's easy. No registering for them. The question is about those that are suitable for breeding stock. Will someone pay me any more for them if I have a piece of paper? I doubt it. What seems to matter most to a prospective buyer is the ability to view my cow herd, my bulls, and my records. I've been paying these fees for years now, and have yet to see a return on investment. BTW, there are plenty of other expenses in raising cattle for me to write off for tax purposes. It appears that I've been wasting my money with registering, and I was just trying to help keep someone else from making the same mistake if they hadn't thought it through.

I did not mean to seem to attack you. I was not. I was simply explaining why, if I was keeping hobby cows, why ""I"" would rather have registered cows than commercial cows. Anybody who thinks they will ever consistently turn a real profit on six cows or less is delusional (whether or not they pay the ~$150 a year in fees and new registrations to the association). Speaking purely as a buyer, I generally don't believe the data that most people put in front of me. I have never falsified any records; but the cynical side of me makes me doubt much of the birth, weaning, and yearling data put in front of me. I like to see EPDs, if I don't I am walking on a bull, even if I like everything else that I see (now granted I have never bought a bull from anybody with less than a hundred head either, but it is possible). People that have come up here in the past, have acted like my registered cows were superior to my grade cows even when that was NOT the case. You may be a better salesman than me; but I have NEVER sold a commercial cow off the farm for much more than I could get for her at the stockyard. The registration paper gives value in my experience. Now if you market all of your calves through the stockbarn, have no ambitions to do otherwise, and get no personal satisfaction from owning "registered" cows ; then I wouldn't pay the activation fee to register my replacements either. I wish people who were opposed to the $100 activation fee (which should be reduced to $60 in my opinion) would make their voices heard by participating in the process rather than taking their ball and going home.

Brandonm2":xbyrvm2s said:
Speaking purely as a buyer, I generally don't believe the data that most people put in front of me. I have never falsified any records; but the cynical side of me makes me doubt much of the birth, weaning, and yearling data put in front of me. I like to see EPDs,
Why would you not believe the actual data but you believe the compilation of the data. Not only can you lie about BW , WW , etc. but you can arrange contemporary groups to "create" the data you want a bull to have. If at a sale and they say he had a 1400lb YW and he looks to weigh 1600 a couple months later, I believe that is what he weighed If I trust the Birth date. If I don't believe the breeder is telling the truth I don't buy. If several breeders are turning inaccurate data as you suggest and several are arranging the contemporary groups to best reflect the stock with their brand on it how does that affect the integrity of the epd data bank?

Latest posts