hereford eyeset by popular request (dial-up beware)

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I have been asked to explain what I select for as far as eyeset goes in my herefords. As we all know herefords have a bad reputation for cancer eye and for being proned to pink-eye. Although it may not still be the case in modern herefords, we as breeders still haven't laid the ghosts of the past to rest. I'll try and discuss this in as much detail as possible and welcome input form other breeders.

What I'll try and describe isn't merely a showring whim, but has a very definate use especially in an extensive environment. This may not be equally applicable for those who farm on soft open grass pastures, but all of us should have one common goal in improving our breed.

Pink eye is caused by the Moraxella Bovis bacteria that is carried by flies, gnats, mosquitoes, etc. All these carriers need proteien as a feed source. Tears secreted by both human and bovine eyes are a rich form of proteien and will attrack flies and gnats with the effect that the Moraxella Bovis bacteria be transfered to the cattle, thus causing pink eye.

The cause of Cancer eye is still an ongoing debate, but it is commonly accepted that harmfull UV rays from direct sunlight are one of the causes. The same way a person with a fair skin is more likely to be harmed by the sun. It seems that pigment on the eyelids is the answer here, although it certainly helps to protect the eyelids it still isn't the complete solution as the eyeball can also be affected by cancer and surely we can not have pigment there.

The best we can do in preventing eye problems is by hiding the area of the eye that is exposed to direct sunlight and to physical injury or irritation that might cause the eye to tear and attrack flies.

This we can do by selecting bulls that have eyes that are set deep in their sockets with little or no eyeball protruding outside the eyesocket. Strong developed eyebanks create a hood that protect the eye from physical injury and foreign objects. Eyelashes that point downwards acts as a screen and help limit the irritation caused by dust and wind.

The bull below has good pigment, but his eyes are not set deep enough in their sockets and are proned to injury during fighting, grass seeds can easily enter the eye and if he has to graze in brush he may well end up with a thorn in the eye. He is also lacking in eyebanks.
100_0590.jpg

The next bull has better eyeset ,but is lacking in pigmentation on the eyelids. He has very good eyebanks that will protect the eyes from physical injury.
100_0883.jpg

This bull has even better eyeset and also strong eyebanks, but he isn't fully pigmented on the left eye and his lashes could have pointed more downwards
100_0880.jpg

This bull is as close to perfection in eyeset as I have bred up to date. His eyes are set deep in the sockets, he has an eyeliner of pigment, he has strong eyebanks and eyelashes that point downwards. Note that when you look at him directly from the front you almost cannot see his eyes. There is very little chance of physical injury or sunburn on eyes like these.
100_0893.jpg

100_0894.jpg

100_0591.jpg

Now I'll move on to cows, the same principles apply, but as the developement of eyebank is a secondary male sex characteristic you won't find eyebanks as strong in cows as in bulls.

This cow has eyeset just about as poor as you can get. She completely lacks eyebanks, have very little pigment, her lashes are pointing in all directions except down, but worse of all is the eyeballs that are set almost outside their sockets. Its not difficult to imagine grass sticking in these eyes causing tears, attracking flies with pink eye the obvious result.
100_0914.jpg

This cow has very good pigment, but her pigment alone won't protect these eyes, her eyeset is poor with very little protection for the eyeball.
100_0904.jpg

This heifer has very good eyeset and is a good example to follow, but if I have to find fault, I would have prefered stronger eyebanks.
100_0907.jpg

This heifer is again very close to perfection. She has strong eyebanks for a female, good pigment, lashes pointing downwards. Her eyes are well protected.
100_0915.jpg

100_0918.jpg

100_0911.jpg

Calves are often hard to tell how they will develope, very few calves are born with lashes pointing downwards, very few calves are born with strong eyebanks and often the eyes will creep deeper into their sockets with age. It is not unknown for eyepigment to increase with age as well. A pink eye will never become a red eye, but I've seen eyes with some pigment become almost fully pigmented by weaning.

The best I could come up with are these two calves that have very good eyes at a young age, they are about a month old.

First a bullcalf
100_0785.jpg

and a heifer
100_0783.jpg

Pigment like this isn't neccesary, just an eyeliner will do.
100_0786.jpg

Recently there has been a movement in Australia where the backgound colour of the white of the eyeball are being documented. Supposedly the more blue the colour the less proned to eyeproblems the eye is supposed to be. In SA we'll start to monitor it, but as far as I am aware of there hasn't been sufficient proof yet to really include this in your selection criteria.

Kernise,

This is great stuff and for a newbie like me it gives me a very complete understanding of what is desirable in a hereford eye. I hate to say it but eye position and eye banks are new information to me.... always a newbie and learning! :D

Thanks for taking the time to shoot the pics and post them, one of the best threads I have ever seen here!

Thanks again,
Alan

I do not raise herfords, but this is good info as I do use herford bulls for F1 production. Thanks This took a lot of effort on you part to put this together.

Looking at all the work you went trough kind of makes me glad I am not as intelegent as you. :lol:

~

EXCELLANT information.

I will be checking our Hereford bull tomorrow~!!

KNERSIE":36u9s328 said:
The cause of Cancer eye is still an ongoing debate, but it is commonly accepted that harmfull UV rays from direct sunlight are one of the causes. The same way a person with a fair skin is more likely to be harmed by the sun. It seems that pigment on the eyelids is the answer here, although it certainly helps to protect the eyelids it still isn't the complete solution as the eyeball can also be affected by cancer and surely we can not have pigment there.

I just want to correct the last little thing you said about pigment in the eye. I am posting this from an earlier post of mine from about a year ago or so.

"The goggled-eyes on the Herefords has to do with preventing cancer eye, not pinkeye. Any of our cows with pigmented eyelids contract pinkeye just as easy as those who have white eyelids.

The two worst breeds for cancer eye are Herefords and Holsteins. The rate at which cancer attacks the eye in these breeds is determined by 2 factors: the strain of cancer and the inherited genetics. Cancer eye is believed to have a heridity factor of 0.4. Animals whose eyes bulge from the sockets are more likely to contract cancer eye, compared to those whose eyes rest normally in the sockets. Animals who have 'hooded' eyes (top of skull protrudes over the eye) can pass on this trait, are unlikely to contract cancer eye, and should be selected for this trait. Animals with white eyelids are more susceptable to cancer than those with a large patch of brown covering the entire eye area. If the animal has little pigmentation, it is more important to keep or purchase animals that have brown on the lower eyelid, rather than the upper eyelid. This is due to the angle at which UV rays hit the eye and the eyelid. The reason brown over the entire eye is preferred is because a cow's EYE is unpigmented at birth and becomes fully pigmented at an age of about 4-5 years. The amount of pigmentation deposited in the eye is directly correlated to the amount of pigmentation surrounding the eye. Therefore, brown covering the entire eyelid area results in cows whose eye's are completely pigmented when mature, lessening the chance of cancer eye."

I have no clue about the science of this. I can tell that when I was a kid I saw cancer eye in several of the breeds, including brahman and brahman cross, but the herfords showed up with the pink eye a lot more than any other breed. When I was in college I worked for a vet and the same was true. I was not around dairy cattle much.

Very interesting read. I have never had a case of eye cancer in one of my Herefords. I don't know if this is climate related, genetic related or I have just been lucky.

Knersie

I will try to find a head on view of one of my bulls, SHF Marshal 236G M33. You would love his eye set. Head on he looks like ahe has no eyes his hood is incredible and he has a deep eye set too. He also makes excellent females.

S$S Farms

Thank you Knersie,

This will not only help viewers of the forum it could help improve the breed. I wish they would put in the Hereford World. I'd like to see everyone breed away from those bug eyed Herefords.

Aaron":ufhhi17m said:
KNERSIE":ufhhi17m said:

I just want to correct the last little thing you said about pigment in the eye. I am posting this from an earlier post of mine from about a year ago or so.

"The goggled-eyes on the Herefords has to do with preventing cancer eye, not pinkeye. Any of our cows with pigmented eyelids contract pinkeye just as easy as those who have white eyelids.

The two worst breeds for cancer eye are Herefords and Holsteins. The rate at which cancer attacks the eye in these breeds is determined by 2 factors: the strain of cancer and the inherited genetics. Cancer eye is believed to have a heridity factor of 0.4. Animals whose eyes bulge from the sockets are more likely to contract cancer eye, compared to those whose eyes rest normally in the sockets. Animals who have 'hooded' eyes (top of skull protrudes over the eye) can pass on this trait, are unlikely to contract cancer eye, and should be selected for this trait. Animals with white eyelids are more susceptable to cancer than those with a large patch of brown covering the entire eye area. If the animal has little pigmentation, it is more important to keep or purchase animals that have brown on the lower eyelid, rather than the upper eyelid. This is due to the angle at which UV rays hit the eye and the eyelid. The reason brown over the entire eye is preferred is because a cow's EYE is unpigmented at birth and becomes fully pigmented at an age of about 4-5 years. The amount of pigmentation deposited in the eye is directly correlated to the amount of pigmentation surrounding the eye. Therefore, brown covering the entire eyelid area results in cows whose eye's are completely pigmented when mature, lessening the chance of cancer eye."

Thanks Aaron,

Personally I've never had cancer eye in my herefords, from my experience the breed that is most proned to cancer eye is jerseys. Since jerseys has black pigmented skin and dark eyes it seems that pigment alone won't do the trick. The bulging doe like bugeyes seems to be the cause of the eyeproblems there.

Most of herefords bad reputation was earned years ago, but the perceived idea still lives on. If we never address these issues it will always be used as an excuse to buy a angus bull ;-)

KNERSIE, thanks for all that good info. I am about to buy a polled hereford bull and would have never thought of this when I bought. I will be re-reading this post over and over to make sure I have everything down pat. Also, thanks for the PM.

Thanks Again
Dick

The read was great...unlike articles in journals that you have to "wade and slog" thru! The pictures brought it all together. Thank you so much, Knersie!

Alice

Latest posts