hereford eyeset by popular request (dial-up beware)

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for all the positive comments, when Herefords.US and I discussed the idea of this thread we actually hoped on more of a discussion from the other hereford (or for that matter any other breed, as it is equally applicable to all the bos taurus breeds) breeders.

I am actually keen to hear txag, Caustic, Camp, Bez> and all the others who either breed herefords or run hereford bulls' comments.

KNERSIE":3t224bop said:
Thanks for all the positive comments, when Herefords.US and I discussed the idea of this thread we actually hoped on more of a discussion from the other hereford (or for that matter any other breed, as it is equally applicable to all the bos taurus breeds) breeders.

I am actually keen to hear txag, Caustic, Camp, Bez> and all the others who either breed herefords or run hereford bulls' comments.

I have never found that I need pigment as I have never had a cancer case in my Herefords. I find the eyeset to be very interesting and something I have never entertained.
Myself I have serious concerns of the goggle eye Herefords having different lineage in the woodpile and have tried to avoid this trait myself. I have chosen to use old line bulls that carry more traditional markings and improve upon those genetics.

Knersie,

Can I print off your original post along with the pictures for my 4-H kids?

That was a great read. The amount of experience and information included is worth it's weight in gold.

This is the first time I've seen any kind of discussion on eyeballs and eyesockets in assocation to eye problems in Herefords. One more thing to think about when looking at our Herefords.

I am trying to recall the names of the two cows that are the foundation of the Hereford breed. One had a lot of white on her and a long white strip down her back, the other had a heavily mottled face, similar to some with Victor breeding. It was in a early 80's edition of the Canadian Hereford Digest. Might have to look for it.

Anyways, goggle eyes don't upset me as much as red necks and legs. Some of the Herefords being bred today are looking more and more like Hereford/R Angus crosses. A lot of our cows have hooded eyes and most have some pigmentation. There are definitely traits such as this which should be taking priority over whatever pie-eyed ideas the show ring people have. Have argued with many of them about staying 'practical'...like talking to a wall.

I also stay with the traditional markings, but will not cull a calf because of a red neck. For me functionality as a BEEF animal takes top priority.

A very informative post KNERSIE,a good read even for we non- Hereford breeders, exactly the type of post we should see more often on the breeds board.
An interesting topic would be preferred Hereford phenotype in different climatic zones.

This is a good topic. KNERSIE, I am glad you posted this information. Eyeset is something that all breeds need to watch out for. I see a lot of buggy eyed black criters out there too.

Your concepts are true. It is a good idea for Hereford breeders to learn about eyeset and use as part of their breeding criteria.

I do not believe that cancer eye can be cured by breeding for a better eye set and pigmentation. It is a highly heritable trait and the only cure for it is to sell that line of cattle. Both the sire and the dam side. The reason I say this is because I have seen solid red cows have cancer eye and they were related on the sire side to white faced cows who had cancer eye too.

I have not had any cancer eye in my cattle in over 15 years, although I have seen it in several of my dads commercial cows over the years with particular horned lines. I do know of some oldtimers removing a cancerous eye and keeping the cow around to raise more calves. In fact I know of a one eyed cow that was flushed many years ago. I tend to avoid those type of operations when selecting breeding stock.

As for pink eye, Herefords get a bad rap for this, but they aren't the only ones it affects. Its true that a white eye and face tend to show it more, especially if the eyeball is watering, but I know of several breeders who run angus and herefords and they all have told me that pinkeye is as prevelant in their angus as it is in the their Herefords. Once an animal gets pinkeye, having pigmentation will reduce the irritation from sunlight. As with any animal health issue, prevention is the best solution.

One thing that I recommend is a good mineral program that provides adequate levels of Vitamin A. A good healthy imune system combined with fly control helps greatly in preventing the pinkeye bacteria from getting a foothold in your cattle.

Just my experience with this issue.

Brian

I wonder if there is any correlation between the eyeset and temperment of a cow?
We have a bull with very hooded eyes, his calves generally carry that trait. They are also very laid back and easily handled.
We have another bull with bulging eyes, his calves generally carry that trait. The little buggers are awful kickers. They will settle down with a lot of handling. But, maybe they just see more when approached from the rear.

One thing that I recommend is a good mineral program that provides adequate levels of Vitamin A. A good healthy imune system combined with fly control helps greatly in preventing the pinkeye bacteria from getting a foothold in your cattle.

That's good info that I neglected to add, I agree that if your in the middle of a spell of pink eye, injectable Vit A will definately help, especially in a drought situation.

I wanted to comment on the fact that other breeds in SA have more pink eye problems than herefords so it seems that our selection criteria is paying dividends, but thought better of it otherwise it would have ended up in a breeds debate and the point missed that I wanted to portray.

what a great post. thank you very much. posts like this are the reason i come to this board in the first place! :clap:

Great post It is this type info. that makes CattleToday such a pleasure to view. Thanks for sharing !

blk mule

Knersie

My first attempt to post a picture. This is a Marshal son you can see what I like about his eyes.

What is your opinion?

Look at my next post

Jeff

P6240033.JPG

P6240032.JPG

P6240022.JPG

Are they 3 different bulls or just two? It looks like three, so here goes.

The first bull has very strong eyebanks and well set eyes, but they could be deeper in their sockets to be perfect. The lashes could've pointed more downwards.

The second bull is the type that sells well here, not the best eyeset of the three bulls, but definately the laymen's choice.
His eyes are well set with reasonably good eyelashes, but stronger eyebanks would have been ideal. His pigment will sell him.

The third photo is perfect, there is nothing to improve on. I just have to hope its not just another photo of the first bull :D

Edit: What I failed to mention is that all three bulls have very strong masculine heads. Are they all out of SHF Marshall?

KNERSIE":3brztgtj said:
Edit: What I failed to mention is that all three bulls have very strong masculine heads. Are they all out of SHF Marshall?

number one and three pic are same bull just different angles. He is a Marshal son. The second bull is out of a PW Bar B Phantom son I raised as a heifer bull.

Eye set is something I have been working on too. I never thought about or had anyone mention the way eyelashes point before this post. Thanks for giving me one more criteria to pay attention too :D

Jeff

nortexsoook":nyu0cg0w said:
If the one bull and the three bull are the same, did you re-tag him?

In pic 1, he is S-04 with NO WRITING AT TOP.

In pic 3, you can not tell his S-number but there is definately WRITING AT THE TOP OF THE TAG.

Explanation?

TIA

:nod: I'd say the S looks different also.

nortexsoook":1ly1pwwd said:
If the one bull and the three bull are the same, did you re-tag him?

In pic 1, he is S-04 with NO WRITING AT TOP.

In pic 3, you can not tell his S-number but there is definately WRITING AT THE TOP OF THE TAG.

Explanation?

TIA

I stand corrected and apologize for the confusion.
I went back through my photos and they are not the same. He is out of my SSF Nathan 634E N07 bull his tag is S16.

There is writing at the top os S 04 you just cant read it with the glare it reads M33 and 720F