Hereford cows

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I have just about decided to go with Hereford cows and eventually an Angus bull. I have a great Hereford seedstock breeder 13 miles from me with over 45 years in Herefords and a very solid reputation. I want to start with quality so that will limit how many bred cows I can buy (they are bred to Hereford bull). My plan is to retain heifers sell bull calves (steers) and breed back to Hereford bull until I get the number of Hereford cows I want and then go with the Angus bull. Occasionally breeding back to a Hereford bull and hoping for some heifers. Okay, let me have it. :cboy:

You also have the option of just staying straight Hereford as the straight females are becoming worth more ever day.

Friends have a very good straight herd and their heifers bring quite a bit more than their steers. The black bull will also work very well.

The only thing I would change would be to use a Gelbvieh bull on them both for replacments and for market calves

dun":18svme05 said:
The only thing I would change would be to use a Gelbvieh bull on them both for replacments and for market calves

I've thought that also but my reason for the Angus bull is my very good friend that has registered Angus (35 years) and he is only 8 miles from me and yearly has very good selection of bulls. But I do like the Gelbvieh idea, it will be awhile before I have to decide so we'll see.

theres nothing wrong with herefords or your plans.how meny cows are you wanting to start with.

bigbull338":tzxxdi2v said:
theres nothing wrong with herefords or your plans.how meny cows are you wanting to start with.

Like to start with 10 but I think 4 or 5 bred cows is going to be more of what I can afford. Eventually like to have 50 mama cows for my herd size. I know this will take awhile but I will buy more as I can afford and retain heifers.

When we started we bought 1 cow, then 6 the next year, and 7 the next. That was 7 years ago, and I am just now able to start culling hard and have enough heifers in the pen to replace them.

How many cattle can you winter at the spot you are at now. Sometimes its better to go get the bank loan and dive in as long as you have a spot for them to be maintained and developed

oakcreekfarms":31z8lv6g said:
When we started we bought 1 cow, then 6 the next year, and 7 the next. That was 7 years ago, and I am just now able to start culling hard and have enough heifers in the pen to replace them.

How many cattle can you winter at the spot you are at now. Sometimes its better to go get the bank loan and dive in as long as you have a spot for them to be maintained and developed

While I appreciate your response I will not get any loans for anything at all. If I can't pay for it then I'm not getting it. Right now I could only winter about 15 mama cows with the land I've currently got, I'm in process of getting more acreage.

tncattle":1k7j6jp3 said:
I will not get any loans for anything at all. If I can't pay for it then I'm not getting it.
Hooray, someone that is thinking right!

Very smart about not getting a loan.

Sounds like you have a good plan, but here is an idea for you.
since you are planning on using an Angus bull maybe plan to AI a cettain number of cows with a good Hereford bull so you can keep up the Hereford cow numbers and continue producing that straight cross that so many guys like.

I would stay with the hereford till you have the numbers you want. Then start a planned crossbreeding plan that has uniformity in it. Don't start out by using the bull of the day and in ten years end up with a bunch of mongrel crossbreeds. This would apply to any breed you start with.

A straight bred program will require less management than a crossbreeding program. To have a true blackbaldy crossbreeding program you should use an angus bull on all hereford sired females and a hereford bull on all angus sired females.

I don't think that the main question is what breed to use. I do agree with your choices but to me that is way ahead of the game for the beginner. I also applaud the not borrowing. However the first question I would ask is whether starting with just 4 or 5 is a viable or smart plan. In my observation and experience anything less than 15 is a very risky proposition. Let me ask some questions.
1. Do you have a reliable place to run them and or winter feed supply.
2. Do you or your spouse have time for them? Assuming either you or your spouse has a full time job. The biggest problem I constantly see here is taking the time to treat an illness the moment it is spotted instead of putting it off until you have more time.
3. Do you have handling facilities for them? In case of needing to treat them or just load them out. You might be able to treat them with a gun but that is very expensive and do you really want to carry that 365.
4. Have you calculated the cost of a bull for breeding only 4 or 5 cows. You can AI but you still need to do a clean up.
5. How about machinery? Pickups, trailers, ATVs are very expensive on a per head basis for only a very few head.
6. Are you set up with someone to watch them if you need to be gone?

I have seen these exact problems over and over into nauseum. For some odd reason there seems to be a whole lot more problems and dangers for herds of less than 15.

I recently bought a small herd of cattle from a very unique line that is all but extinct. In the beginning I was to get 7 head, all that the breeder had plus some semen. Of the 7 there was one steer calf, one bull calf that we couldn't use and one cow that we could use only marginally. So now we are down to 4. Next of those 4 2 came down with pnuemonia which we were able to clear up OK. Next one foundered on just grass and probably will never be able to raise a calf on her own although we are flushing her regularly. So now we ended up with 3 cows that can have a healthy calf. How long will it take that number to produce enough to have a sustainable sized herd? Luckily they were all open so we could donor them.

What we decided was to ET the 4 that were good and get all the numbers as quickly as possible. That is just what we are doing but don't get the idea that this idea is simple. First there is the cost and the difficulty of finding viable recipients. We started with a very large number of our own cattle to find the few recipients that are now pregnant.
We are planning on transferring twice a year and flushing every few months. The fresh transfer is much cheaper but if you want to implant 30 embryos and are flushing only 4 cows then you need to have some frozen embryos for backup. Two of the donors came down with foot rot right in the beginning of their stimulation and AI period. We did get embryos out of one but the other was a blank.

I could recount a whole lot of these horror stories from simply not having enough funds to properly care for the cattle to not taking the time to treat or not recognizing a problem until it is too late. After selling hay to these people for years we sometimes feel that we have heard it all.

I applaud what you want to do but you had better be prepared for the worst.

Idaman":2nas16do said:
I recently bought a small herd of cattle from a very unique line that is all but extinct. In the beginning I was to get 7 head, all that the breeder had plus some semen. Of the 7 there was one steer calf, one bull calf that we couldn't use and one cow that we could use only marginally. So now we are down to 4. Next of those 4 2 came down with pnuemonia which we were able to clear up OK. Next one foundered on just grass and probably will never be able to raise a calf on her own although we are flushing her regularly. So now we ended up with 3 cows that can have a healthy calf. How long will it take that number to produce enough to have a sustainable sized herd? Luckily they were all open so we could donor them.

What we decided was to ET the 4 that were good and get all the numbers as quickly as possible. That is just what we are doing but don't get the idea that this idea is simple. First there is the cost and the difficulty of finding viable recipients. We started with a very large number of our own cattle to find the few recipients that are now pregnant.
We are planning on transferring twice a year and flushing every few months. The fresh transfer is much cheaper but if you want to implant 30 embryos and are flushing only 4 cows then you need to have some frozen embryos for backup. Two of the donors came down with foot rot right in the beginning of their stimulation and AI period. We did get embryos out of one but the other was a blank.

I applaud all the effort and the noble sentiments; but if these cows get pneumonia, founder, get hoof rot (on some mountain in British Columbia???), and fail to cycle while living the pampered life of a donor cow does this industry really need their genetic multiplied, no matter how rare their bloodline has become???? It sounds like there is a reason they went extinct. It might be best to identify the one that is the best and just clone her.

Idaman":1pbqwri1 said:
I don't think that the main question is what breed to use. I do agree with your choices but to me that is way ahead of the game for the beginner. I also applaud the not borrowing. However the first question I would ask is whether starting with just 4 or 5 is a viable or smart plan. In my observation and experience anything less than 15 is a very risky proposition. Let me ask some questions.
2. Do you or your spouse have time for them? Assuming either you or your spouse has a full time job. The biggest problem I constantly see here is taking the time to treat an illness the moment it is spotted instead of putting it off until you have more time.
3. Do you have handling facilities for them? In case of needing to treat them or just load them out. You might be able to treat them with a gun but that is very expensive and do you really want to carry that 365.
4. Have you calculated the cost of a bull for breeding only 4 or 5 cows. You can AI but you still need to do a clean up.
5. How about machinery? Pickups, trailers, ATVs are very expensive on a per head basis for only a very few head.

I have seen these exact problems over and over into nauseum. For some odd reason there seems to be a whole lot more problems and dangers for herds of less than 15.

I could recount a whole lot of these horror stories from simply not having enough funds to properly care for the cattle to not taking the time to treat or not recognizing a problem until it is too late. After selling hay to these people for years we sometimes feel that we have heard it all.

I'll answer your questions in order:

1. Yes I have a reliable place to run them and quality winter hay as well.

2.Yes, I have the time and can leave my job which is very flexible at a moments notice and it's 10 minutes from the farm.

3. Yes, I have handling facilities I built myself and a good automatic squeeze chute. I can't believe people have cattle and no handling facilities. I can load and unload easily as I built it that way to make that part of it.

4. I'm certified to AI but probably will not as I have access to high quality Hereford bulls and Angus bulls. Both are within 10 miles of me and have both told me that I can borrow a bull when needed because of all the free work I have done for them over the last 5 years. What I mean is: I help them very often with their cattle and just about anything else that they need help with with when I can.

5. I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins (paid for) that I maintain and it pulls great. I have access ti a 24 ft. cattle trailer anytime I want or need it. The farm I lease has a nice tractor and bush-hog that I use to clip the pastures and it worked great last year except when I kept running over giant thorns and flattening tires!

6. Yes, the family that lives on the farm are from Montana and the husband has a degree in vet. medicine and has worked with horses and cattle most of his adult life--he's around 45 yrs. old. They are great people and know livestock and farming.

Brandonm22":dgot1xgt said:
Idaman":dgot1xgt said:

I applaud all the effort and the noble sentiments; but if these cows get pneumonia, founder, get hoof rot (on some mountain in British Columbia???), and fail to cycle while living the pampered life of a donor cow does this industry really need their genetic multiplied, no matter how rare their bloodline has become???? It sounds like there is a reason they went extinct. It might be best to identify the one that is the best and just clone her.

These cows were linebred for 130 years, at least 40 years longer than the L1s without ever having any genetic defects so that is probably not the reason they almost went extinct. There were lots of Hereford lines that either went extinct or nearly so in the size rush of the 80s. Colorado Dominos, Zato Heirs, Onwards, and I could go on all night.

These cattle had just been through one of the worst winters in recent area history and at least 6 of their former herd members died in that winter. The owner simply didn't have the funds to take care of them. The 1600 mile haul plus a 7 day breakdown in 100 degree weather and the change in climate were the culprits as they arrived with the pnuemonia. After we cleared the pnuemonia we immediately flushed them and got a surprizing number of No.1s. The one that foundered had the most lung damage from the pnuemonia and has been very delicate ever since. The ET center located closest to where these cows came from said in their history they had never had as bad luck as the spring following that winter. By mid summer their success rate returned.

She foundered on very good straight grass pasture. The day we gave the first Lute shot we had to remove them from a semi wet soft ground pasture and drive them down a gravel road where we had set up a special corral and breeding box for their stimulants and AI service. 24 hours after that drive 2 came down with footrot. We called the ET vet and he said that they probably wouldn't breed but we could try to salvage something with CIDRs which we did. One fot rot sufferer flushed 5 eggs and the other one had failed to come in heat although she had produced in an earlier flush.

They have survived against incredible odds and conditions which makes me have tremendous faith in them. Not only the above but every one of them were produced by a cow that was at least 11 years old al the time each cow was born. If these conditions are the ones of a pampered donor then I need to start all over after 60 years.

The point however remains that with very small numbers you can have some very unique challenges.

Idaman

tncattle":nzdlstu5 said:
Idaman":nzdlstu5 said:

I'll answer your questions in order:

1. Yes I have a reliable place to run them and quality winter hay as well.

2.Yes, I have the time and can leave my job which is very flexible at a moments notice and it's 10 minutes from the farm.

3. Yes, I have handling facilities I built myself and a good automatic squeeze chute. I can't believe people have cattle and no handling facilities. I can load and unload easily as I built it that way to make that part of it.

4. I'm certified to AI but probably will not as I have access to high quality Hereford bulls and Angus bulls. Both are within 10 miles of me and have both told me that I can borrow a bull when needed because of all the free work I have done for them over the last 5 years. What I mean is: I help them very often with their cattle and just about anything else that they need help with with when I can.

5. I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins (paid for) that I maintain and it pulls great. I have access ti a 24 ft. cattle trailer anytime I want or need it. The farm I lease has a nice tractor and bush-hog that I use to clip the pastures and it worked great last year except when I kept running over giant thorns and flattening tires!

6. Yes, the family that lives on the farm are from Montana and the husband has a degree in vet. medicine and has worked with horses and cattle most of his adult life--he's around 45 yrs. old. They are great people and know livestock and farming.

You have 90% under control go for it. Few people have all those advantages. As long as you don't expect to make any money for a while you are all set.

Idaman":3k1ncukt said:
These cows were linebred for 130 years, at least 40 years longer than the L1s without ever having any genetic defects so that is probably not the reason they almost went extinct.
Idaman

What line are they?