Hereford Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

sedrick_hall

Reaction score
Watching the Star Lake Sale on RFD this weekend peaked my interest in Hereford cattle. Why do you Hereford breeders like them so much?

the ability to keep producing when conditions aren't favourable, and probably the most important quality, fertility.

Simmentals and probably angus will outproduce them under optimum conditions, but herefords will keep producing when other breeds will barely survive. The are rustlers second to none.

Great disposition is one of the biggest pluses that I find in my Herefords. Since getting back in the cattle business in 2002, I have been kicked/kicked at only 3 times while working the cattle and two of those three times were by black-hided (Char-Angus cross) recips.

The only negative about having cattle that gentle is that they are more afraid of some of the other cattle than they are of you, so you have to be on guard of one running over you to get away from a more dominant cow in the herd.

George

Herefords.US":4s5owhw5 said:
Great disposition is one of the biggest pluses that I find in my Herefords. Since getting back in the cattle business in 2002, I have been kicked/kicked at only 3 times while working the cattle and two of those three times were by black-hided (Char-Angus cross) recips.

The only negative about having cattle that gentle is that they are more afraid of some of the other cattle than they are of you, so you have to be on guard of one running over you to get away from a more dominant cow in the herd.

George

Another problem is they have no flight zone. Makes it a real bear to try to herd them when they want to come back and see what you're doing instead of going where you want them to

dun

sedrick_hall":1o6ldmpx said:
Watching the Star Lake Sale on RFD this weekend peaked my interest in Hereford cattle. Why do you Hereford breeders like them so much?

While I am not a Hereford Farmer, I do have a few HerfX cows and they work really well for us. Easy to keep, easy to work and them black - baldy babies grow and sell really well.

I have only little experience of beefcattle. We have had about 5-20 Herefords for 5 years. Herefords are easy to handle and arent dangerous like limousins(here) are. Once we AI`d a hereford cow at field. She just wouldnt move and go to the handling area :lol: . But there has been couple a wild herefords also, but they are/going to the same place as our limousinx..

jkwilson":u96yafv0 said:
Feed efficiency and docility are two big ones.

DITTO -- At our place we say all the time that it's just terrible the we have such "wild" cattle. They just want to come at you all the time to be rubbed on, scratched, etc. It's nothing for us to give shots out in the field. HEREFORDS ROCK!!!

:heart: Ole Grandma herf just popped out her 17th calf--
It is healthy and she still produces milk, this is her last calf
after she raises it she will be shipped or euthanized as she
most likely will not survive another winter. She has been a
GOOD cow! All our herfs are gentle, easy to work, easy to load, easy to show and our bulls are non aggressive( however
I trust NO bull) Herfs are the best! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Latest posts