Here it comes.

Help Support CattleToday:

Kind of says it all....
sam_elliot.jpg

Limomike,

I cannot answer that question because I do not know how or what an "athiest" believes in... surely they know what is right vs wrong and what respect is all about.

After posting my initial reply, I was struck with what Ronald Reagan once quoted:

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."

Brian

So what's your point?

Simply that a government will feel pressure to make change in response to an incident like this. Our government being an example. Wasn't making commentary on what's the right or wrong response.

Andrew

They have gun control in China. So the idiot there slashed 22 kids with a knife.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asi ... index.html

Children have died. Needlessly. Nothing accomplished by killing innocent babies. So now the liberals want to take away the very thing that protects thousands of kids. Why don't they just move to China where the laws are the way they want them to be?

kenny thomas":mnqq2070 said:
Even though some of you know my thoughts on an AR, I bought one Saturday. Was gonna trade it but I believe the price just went up $400.
For those in Canada and Australia or anywhere that there is gun control of any type how has it worked out. Did it stop all killings?

You know Kenny way back in about 1975 I bought a brand new black Colt AR-15 and a thousand rounds of ammo. Nothing more fun than shooting that thing. I don't think I ever killed anything with it. Emptied a 30 shot clip at a snake one day and never knocked off a scale. But now I look at them and think "Why in the hell would anybody want or need one?". I don't see myself being attacked anytime soon by a mad doped up batalion of Vietnamese. But they do look bad a$$. That said, I don't plan to get rid of my 45 ACP anytime soon tho. ;-)

I certainly don't have the solution other than I sure think it would help for every child to be born and raised with both a mom and dad, taught right from wrong, have a healthy respect for the law and human life, love the Lord, develop a sense of self worth and spend more time with people that also think and feel that way.

Limomike":rwc1rvj8 said:
TN Cattle Man":rwc1rvj8 said:
Here is my take on the situation...

I just don't understand this logic... There are a number of things that are illegal (drugs, prostitution, etc.) and yet how's that working for keeping them off the streets?

Saying that guns kill people is like saying that a spoon made me fat. People, it is time to get real and start taking accountability for our children. Raise them right, teach them respect, and more importantly, to Fear the Lord!!

I apologize for the rant but I am getting a little fed up with what is happening here in the land that I so love.

Brian

Good post Brian, but what are you going to do about all the folks who are atheists that are raising their kids that way?

TN Cattle Man.... I agree with your most of your post. Parents need to raise their children and teach them values, morals, accountability and responsibility. Many rely on the "electronic babysitter" (be it games, TV shows or movies) and we are left to deal with the results of what they learn there, more parents need to take an ACTIVE roll in their children's lives plain and simple!

Limomike.....I really take offense to your statement! Blanket statements such as this about a group of people made out of ignorance are destructive to the moral character of Americans! I happen to be atheist and neither I or my children lack morals or responsibility! Religion has nothing to with raising children or being an active law abiding moral person! Teaching your children to respect others, obey rules and take responsibility for your actions are the very basic qualities that speak to moral character if you choose to ALSO teach religion (in any form) that is your choice but does not guarantee they will in turn be "better" citizens!

As many have said taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens is not the answer! The ones who break the law will still get them or find other means to carry out their deviant plans. We need to arm MORE law abiding citizens who are more likely to be the "first on scene" when these events occur and are more likely to be able to react in a moments notice than the law agency that are not (and can not) be everywhere at all times! Removing restrictions that create "soft targets" is a must! I firmly believe this would deter a lot of these situations or at least minimize the carnage these people are able to create. I also agree with others who stated we need to ,as a nation, stop sensationalizing these freaks! There needs to be swift and just punishment for criminals and I don't believe there should be an "insanity" or "mental disorder" cop out allowed in such tragic offenses!

Michigan is taking steps to remove "gun-free" zones, Senate Bill 59 has passed the house and senate and awaits the governors signature. It will allow CC in schools, churches and other establishments that were previously gun free. It does add more training requirements and up range time, which I think is good, to be able to carry in such places.Hopefully the governor will sign it and not be swayed by the "anti-gun" folks, unfortunately Fridays tragic events put it back in the spotlight and all eyes will be watching!

http://articles.petoskeynews.com/2012-1 ... s_35829851

snake67":12my4m88 said:
Seems to me that everyone knows the definition of insanity

So - why do more of the same?

Just eliminate the soft targets and the problem might not go away, but it sure is reduced - and it does far more good than feel good legislation that only the law-a-biding will follow

Eliminate gun free zones and you no longer have soft targets

Every crazy out there knows what a soft target is and how to use that soft target to make an impact on the media

Bez

:nod: :nod: :nod: Makes perfect sense to me as does your more thorough post on the thread regarding the 2nd Amendment on the Hunting board.

I am sickened and saddend by what happened in Ct as well as the killings that took place in the Amish school, and all the others.

No guns in China? No problem, that guy (on the same day as Newtown) used a knife.

I don't hear anyone crying out to ban alcohol and ban automobiles. I don't hear anyone calling out to ban baseball bats or letter-openers either. People have been killed by being stabbed with a pencil.

The problem is not the weapons. The problem is the ones using the weapons.

Katherine

The public is so dumbed down. The Constitution gives us the right to bear arms. The politicians are saying we should not have assault rifles because this isn't for hunting or sporting. Bullcrap! The reason for this being part of our constitution was not to guarantee us the right to hunt or shoot skeet but to take down the corrupt politicians if the need arises. With that in mind, do you actually think the founders of our nation only allowed the taxpayers to own specific weapons? No. The public had just what the armed services had so with that in mind is my second ammendment right not being infringed on if I'm denied the right to own any weapon I choose? I think anyone who has read the writings of Adams, Jefferson or some of the other founders know the answer is as clear as the nose on your face and any politician should know this if they know anything about the constitution. Freedom isn't free. It has a cost which is often paid in blood and this isn't always a soldier's blood.

Maybe the ACLU will hop on this and everything will be OK. Or do they only represent misfits and degenerates?

Didn't someone blow up a school in Michigan in the twenties or something like that???
If I did want to kill a bunch of people, I'd use a twelve guage with .00 and just feed shells as the action was open... None of the bans being sugested would keep that from happening if I chose to do it.(which I'm not)
Then there's that whole thing about how carrying a gun onto school property and murdering children is already illegal... Can't we just kill anyone who tries to do THAT and NOT worry about stacking on gun charges?

Let's keep in mind this nut job only "alledgedly" killed all these people. The use of the word alledgedly pi$$es me off worse than free cell phones.

Now this is an old man's opinon only.
Hollywood is part of the problem the guns of choice of these nuts never run out or need to be reloaded and they make you really tough. Then you have the killing video games that seem real compared to army men I played with in a sand bed.
The welfare/liberal mindset have destroyed the American family and God.
They don't want God in our lives and wonder why we live in a Godless society.

Caustic Burno":2eztcj0q said:
Hollywood is part of the problem the guns of choice of these nuts never run out or need to be reloaded and they make you really tough. Then you have the killing video games that seem real compared to army men I played with in a sand bed.

What about Gatlin guns? They were absolutely part of early hollywood and we didn't have murderers gunning down school children then.

Jogeephus":vjz8id81 said:
Let's keep in mind this nut job only "alledgedly" killed all these people. The use of the word alledgedly pi$$es me off worse than free cell phones.
He's dead. I can accept "alleged" in this life because I know where he's headed in death he's just plain guilty.

cow pollinater":l9cg6yzg said:
Caustic Burno":l9cg6yzg said:

What about Gatlin guns? They were absolutely part of early hollywood and we didn't have murderers gunning down school children then.

Different time, and the country still believed in God.
I never knew anyone with divorced parent's or dad wasn't in the home either.
I never knew where to buy a Gatlin gun.
Don't know anyone that did, never ever seen one except in the movies.
Now we all had RAR's.

cow pollinater":1v7f883x said:
Jogeephus":1v7f883x said:
He's dead. I can accept "alleged" in this life because I know where he's headed in death he's just plain guilty.

I disagree. Alleged implies the possibility of innocence. Not the case. Just like when little gangsta gets his picture took at the Jiffy Mart robbing the store. Guilty. Let's just stop pretending we have a justice system and when someone is plainly guilty lets save the free attorney fees and spend it on a little voltage.

BTW, if I was going to off a bunch of people I'd go to Florida and learn how to fly one of those big planes. Apparantly they can't be shot down.

Jogeephus":3fhu8oet said:
cow pollinater":3fhu8oet said:
Jogeephus":3fhu8oet said:

I disagree. Alleged implies the possibility of innocence. Not the case. Just like when little gangsta gets his picture took at the Jiffy Mart robbing the store. Guilty. Let's just stop pretending we have a justice system and when someone is plainly guilty lets save the free attorney fees and spend it on a little voltage.

BTW, if I was going to off a bunch of people I'd go to Florida and learn how to fly one of those big planes. Apparantly they can't be shot down.

We almost agree except on the electricity, rope is cheaper.
We need public execution in the courthouse square.
Forget housing and feeding the scum.

Rope works for me. In fact, last year we had a big county search for the last rope that was used in our last hanging. Typically it was given to the family of the wronged. Unfortunately, it wasn't found.

I don't mind housing them in prisons but I think the family that raised the POS should also have to feed and cloth the POS and no early release. This has gotten to be a joke. And no concurrent terms. Just a big plot of land with four towers in each corner. Maybe give them a mule and a plow.

He is inoccent until proven guilty by a jury of his peers. We both know the outcome and would love to sit on that jury, but if we're going to be intellectualy honest in talking about constitutional rights like the second amendment then we also have to offer him the right to a fair trial. He is the "alleged" culpret until he's found guilty.
I like to believe that his innocense or guilt will also be judged after his death.

Latest posts