Herd bull fence

Help Support CattleToday:

MrJimH

Reaction score
I am trying to get to the point of having all calves at a set date.

My question is what type of fence and or what company does the bull need to stay "happy" during his exile?

I might be able to get my 2 other bulls together with him, or use other younger bulls.

I have a 1 acre lot with water and good fence woven wire next to the barn and ~4 acres away from the farm at my house.

Just looking for advise on getting this started.

Keep the bulls as far away from any other boys and girls and it will make everything easier - the 4 acres at your house sounds ideal.

Mine are in a 6 acre paddock, split in two. Perimeter is 5.5' high fence, posts 12-15' apart, 5 strand hi-tensile Gaucho barb wire with an offset hi-tensile electric wire half way up the height of the fence. Interior is all electric.

If you use the Gaucho wire, it is peace of mind if the power goes off and the bull decides to make a run for it. My reasoning is that the Gaucho is so sharp, the bull will rip off his testicles in the process of getting out and not only eliminate the possibility of spreading his stupidity to the next generation, but also increase his value as a steer. So far none of my bulls have ever tested my ideas.

For company, either go with two mature bulls, or a mature bull and a bunch of much younger bulls. More than two mature bulls and someone is likely to be thrown through a fence.

I wish I had taken a pic a few months ago--a big determined bull went down in a canal, came up a steep bank on the other side and straight right thru a 5 wire gaucho fence 2 feet from the edge of the high bank with 10' between the posts. I thought he was just muddy at first, but got closer and saw he was bloody from head to tail. Hair and hide hanging from 2 and 3rd wire, so he found some way to get thru it, tearing ties off the tee posts and bending 2 of them over. I'm in the process of adding 8000 volts to that stretch of fence now.

Biggest problem I have with elec fence is my chars. They have such a long hairy tail end, that they walk along swinging that tail, the hair strands get wrapped around the wire and when they move away, it pulls the wire out of the 5" extension insulators. I see long strands of blond hair hanging all off the wires.

6 ft tall 9 strands of barbed wire, 10 ft apart, electric at 4 ft on inside.

Run all the bulls in the offseason in a normal pasture, normal 5 wire fence. Very rarely have problems. Even borders a field with cows in it for about 1.5 miles on one side.

Latest posts