Help - what breed is he?

Help Support CattleToday:

divegirl

Reaction score
Hi all,

We're having trouble understanding the breed name of this bull. Can anyone help us ID him? His color is deceiving in the picture. He's actually brown with a silver tint to him.

Dec2007070.jpg

Divegirl,

Nice looking animal he should make some good looking calves.
As best as I can tell he is not a breed, he is a composite.
Meaning he is made up of crossing several different breed which as yet has not been given a breed name.
I have three that look close to him.
Does he have any small patches of white anywhere?
I posted some pics of mine on here, but just can't seem to find them.
I don't think this dang search thing works!
SL

OK - a little more info...no white spots anywhere just pure color throughout. Charolais is what we were told originally but the gentleman mainly does Brangus and today told me Santa Gertrudis. The Santa Gertrudis may have been referring to our little red bull that we just purchased elsewhere and he knows about. He's sometimes hard to understand being a true FL cracker with the accent and 80+ years old. We named him Charlie when we thought he was a Charolais but then in researching we see he doesn't meet that breed exactly. Your thoughts are all appreciated. Any and all help welcome.

divegirl":3te78qv0 said:
OK - a little more info...no white spots anywhere just pure color throughout. Charolais is what we were told originally but the gentleman mainly does Brangus and today told me Santa Gertrudis. The Santa Gertrudis may have been referring to our little red bull that we just purchased elsewhere and he knows about. He's sometimes hard to understand being a true FL cracker with the accent and 80+ years old. We named him Charlie when we thought he was a Charolais but then in researching we see he doesn't meet that breed exactly. Your thoughts are all appreciated. Any and all help welcome.

About as close to being a Char is he might have been in the pasture with one.
There ia a lot of Brimmer there and I wouldn't even guess what else is in the woodpile.

divegirl":qca391fz said:

That's what I thought, seeing that the "white spots" is just the sun shining on his head and neck. He could be a Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, or some cross with a Brahman, IMO.

Sir Loin":3r5wgjac said:
Meaning he is made up of crossing several different breed which as yet has not been given a breed name.
SL

There are many composites that are recognized as breeds and even have their own breed associations. Brangus, Braford, Santa Gertrudis, and Beefmaster just to name a few. That bull doesn't look like any breed, composite or not, that I've ever seen. As CB said, probably a cross between Brahman and Lord knows what else.

Sir Loin":318ay18k said:
Divegirl,

Nice looking animal he should make some good looking calves.
I have three that look close to him.
Does he have any small patches of white anywhere?
I posted some pics of mine on here, but just can't seem to find them.
I don't think this dang search thing works!
SL

Your kidding right?
Using a bull with a unknown genetic background of BW and CE, what a crapshoot.

I'm not real good at this but here goes . . .

I would think
Brahman X Braunvieh
Brahman X Murray Grey??

Could be Santa Gert I suppose, with a bit of a different coat colouring, but if you have a dark red calf as well with the extra skin around the sheath, brisket, dewlap and big ears, I'd say he was talking about that one ;-)

Looks like he's hungry, whatever he is.

I'm not real good at this but here goes . . .

I would think
Brahman X Braunvieh
Brahman X Murray Grey??

Could be Santa Gert I suppose, with a bit of a different coat colouring, but if you have a dark red calf as well with the extra skin around the sheath, brisket, dewlap and big ears, I'd say he was talking about that one ;-)

Looks like he's hungry, whatever he is.

He definately has a lot of Brahman influence and looks a lot like the F1 tiger stripe cattle that you see a lot of here in Texas. of course the F1 is Brahman and Hereford and wouldn't explaien the silver tint you mentioned.

divegirl":ybb93tae said:
are you thinking of use'in him ?

Your bull is not a breed. He is a conglomeration of breeds which makes him a mongrel.

If you don't like that term, just call him a "Mutt".

MikeC":3w2nxx47 said:
Your bull is not a breed. He is a conglomeration of breeds which makes him a mongrel.

If you don't like that term, just call him a "Mutt".

Now Mike to think all this time you thought you were running Chars.

Latest posts