Help - what breed is he?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1jb4rjxv said:
MikeC":1jb4rjxv said:
Your bull is not a breed. He is a conglomeration of breeds which makes him a mongrel.

If you don't like that term, just call him a "Mutt".

Now Mike to think all this time you thought you were running Chars.

Little did I know, huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

from the color that i can see i would say he is mostly limousine he has a lot of the limousine marking with the patch around the eye and his color. i would bet least 50% limo

Hippie Rancher":1p9neg94 said:
Is it the photo or does he have a really bad underbite?
Also is that sand or SNOW he is standing on??!!! Florida?
Looks like white Florida sand to me.

Could you post more/better photos? Please? I go with BramanX I saw a purebred(? if a cross breed is a purebred?) Brangus that was silver grey.. real pretty..all his calves were black..

I do not know if anyone cares about what I have to say. I don't care I am going to say it anyway. The bull is pretty. If cows and bulls are like K9s a "Mutt" is more healthy the a full breed. I know they are nowhere close to being the same I am trying to make a point. The question is. Is the animal healthy? Anyway I have been reading all the messages and I thought I would interoduce myself. Hello! My husband and I are looking at buying some calves this is going to be the first time going to the auction place to buy them. Dose anyine have any pointers?

countrygirl2008":18ay3eph said:
I do not know if anyone cares about what I have to say. I don't care I am going to say it anyway. The bull is pretty. If cows and bulls are like K9s a "Mutt" is more healthy the a full breed. I know they are nowhere close to being the same I am trying to make a point. The question is. Is the animal healthy? Anyway I have been reading all the messages and I thought I would interoduce myself. Hello! My husband and I are looking at buying some calves this is going to be the first time going to the auction place to buy them. Dose anyine have any pointers?

Yes. Try to find a mentor who will go to the sale with you and keep you from buying breeding stock that look like this bull. I can't emphasize strongly enough that you do not jump blindly into the cow business. ESPECIALLY AT THE SALE BARN. You will end up with a lot of other peoples castoff and problem cattle. Maybe even some sick or dangerous ones.

Get some qualified help!!!!!!!!!

Take your time . Do not be in a big hurry!!!!!

Find a good local breeder with a reputation for honesty and buy private treaty.

Good luck.

PS If you ask for advice TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

countrygirl2008":23ppei27 said:

Get the book storey's guide to raising beef cattle for starters. Insure you're fences and all of the required infrastructure is in place before buying the first animal. Find someone that will mentor you.

countrygirl2008":2cn2fcq2 said:

Yes I do haul POS bull to salebarn after collecting your check pull billfold from left hip pocket and place along side other folding money. Get in your truck find a quality breeder to buy from in your area. Take folding money from the sale of POS along with some more and buy better bovine from quality breeder.
With your eye for cattle stay away from the salebarn! Or pull the froghides out of your back pocket and burn them it is the same thing. You got mad when members didn't compliment poor quality. Why ask if you don't want the answer.
The salebarn and buying cattle is not for begineers.

Thank you for the advice, I will take any at this point. I know my uncel has some cows and I have been getting some advice from him also. I know this is going to be alot of work raising cattle. We are looking at starting with calves. This is mainly to get the ag-eximption for the taxes. All the advice you all have given are greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.. :)

countrygirl2008":2ilmz1rf said:
I do not know if anyone cares about what I have to say. I don't care I am going to say it anyway.
  • The bull is pretty. If cows and bulls are like K9s a "Mutt" is more healthy the a full breed.
I know they are nowhere close to being the same I am trying to make a point. The question is. Is the animal healthy? Anyway I have been reading all the messages and I thought I would interoduce myself. Hello! My husband and I are looking at buying some calves this is going to be the first time going to the auction place to buy them. Dose anyine have any pointers?
the bull you think is pretty, is the product of crossbreeding usually { but unfortunitly not always} between two breeds that compliment each other. producing a animal that is superior to its parents...hybrid vigor. that doesnt make them breeding stock..even though they may possess the best traits of both breed's they are not homozygous for those traits. and its like rolling dice to use one like this

That is interesting. So if the bull produces and the calf is female when it is slatered is the meat not any good or is there something else? Don't get me wrong I am not trying to be funny I am trying to understand. :???:

countrygirl2008":1aoa1eci said:
That is interesting. So if the bull produces and the calf is female when it is slatered is the meat not any good or is there something else? Don't get me wrong I am not trying to be funny I am trying to understand. :???:

The meat is excellent coming from a crossbred animal. Also depending on the feed he/she is fed to a finishing weight for slaughter. But that's not what alacowman was talkin about. He's talkin more about some desirable characteristics from one side of the bull's parentage versus the more undesirable characteristics from the other side. For example hide color. It might be the roll of a dice that you might get a calf that has the "right" hide color that will bring high $$$ at the meat house, or not. And of course there are other things besides hide color that coincide with his genetics, like milking ability of his offspring, calving ease, etc.

Hope that helps.

IluvABbeef":2cyclz8s said:
countrygirl2008":2cyclz8s said:

The meat is excellent coming from a crossbred animal. Also depending on the feed he/she is fed to a finishing weight for slaughter. But that's not what alacowman was talkin about. He's talkin more about some desirable characteristics from one side of the bull's parentage versus the more undesirable characteristics from the other side. For example hide color. It might be the roll of a dice that you might get a calf that has the "right" hide color that will bring high $$$ at the meat house, or not. And of course there are other things besides hide color that coincide with his genetics, like milking ability of his offspring, calving ease, etc.

Hope that helps.
yep... thanks to some local farmer's i learned this years ago from looking at their stock. back when brahman was hot around here. every other pasture would had a brahman bull in it. or a gert, well those crossbred calve's were outstanding' and those f1s are easy on the eye . and every body wanted that in their calf crop. so they would sell a bull out of em to joe blow down the road. and then the disapointmnets started to hit the ground' talk about dinks. bunch'a no growing goneass calves they were working the heterosis, in a sence backward

OK, I have a new question. Is it better to have on breed of cattle on your land to keep from mix breeding? I think that is the best thing but you never know I could be wrong. What is the better breed of cattle besides the Angus? I was also told to get cattle that is being use in the area for breeding. Hereford? Are they black or brown with a white head? :?

countrygirl2008":ouzccu0o said:
OK, I have a new question. Is it better to have on breed of cattle on your land to keep from mix breeding? I think that is the best thing but you never know I could be wrong. What is the better breed of cattle besides the Angus? I was also told to get cattle that is being use in the area for breeding. Hereford?
  • >>Are they black or brown with a white head? :?<<
they are now... .... no a hereford is red/white /white face.... no offence as inexperianced as you sound you need to go with a strait bred herd angus or hereford the red ones :lol: would be fine. and not dabble with crossbreeding to you get your feet wet

ALACOWMAN":1ss5r3u0 said:
countrygirl2008":1ss5r3u0 said:
OK, I have a new question. Is it better to have on breed of cattle on your land to keep from mix breeding? I think that is the best thing but you never know I could be wrong. What is the better breed of cattle besides the Angus? I was also told to get cattle that is being use in the area for breeding. Hereford?
  • >>Are they black or brown with a white head? :?<<
they are now... .... no a hereford is red/white /white face.... no offence as inexperianced as you sound you need to go with a strait bred herd angus or hereford the red ones :lol: would be fine. and not dabble with crossbreeding to you get your feet wet
Well I must be colorblind. The cattle here look brown to me but that is infact red?

Get the book "Storey's guide to raising beef cattle" by Heather Smtih Thomas. It's available all over the internet and maybe even in your local library

dun":864r9a4a said:
Get the book "Storey's guide to raising beef cattle" by Heather Smtih Thomas. It's available all over the internet and maybe even in your local library
Thanks, my hasband is looking for a book on hay farming any recommendation?

Latest posts