Help - what breed is he?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":fns0uigb said:
countrygirl2008":fns0uigb said:
OK, I have a new question. Is it better to have on breed of cattle on your land to keep from mix breeding? I think that is the best thing but you never know I could be wrong. What is the better breed of cattle besides the Angus? I was also told to get cattle that is being use in the area for breeding. Hereford?
  • >>Are they black or brown with a white head? :?<<
they are now... .... no a hereford is red/white /white face.... no offence as inexperianced as you sound you need to go with a strait bred herd angus or hereford the red ones :lol: would be fine. and not dabble with crossbreeding to you get your feet wet

Or maybe just forget buying cows period till they can find a mentor.

countrygirl2008":34z04vpx said:
dun":34z04vpx said:
Get the book "Storey's guide to raising beef cattle" by Heather Smtih Thomas. It's available all over the internet and maybe even in your local library
Thanks, my hasband is looking for a book on hay farming any recommendation?

The best book I recommend personally is Forages: An Introduction to Grassland Agriculture 6th ed. Covers everything you need to know about...well...grass farmin'. :)

I am sorry but I have yet another question. If I am getting on anyones nerves let me know I will stop. I went to the Feed Store today to get to know the store and to introduce myself. I found there was an information board for sales of farm animals. I came accross one who is salling "Club Calves" is that a show calf? Also Simmental and Simbrah are these a good breed to raise? :) :wave:

countrygirl2008":95hrzkxi said:
I am sorry but I have yet another question. If I am getting on anyones nerves let me know I will stop. I went to the Feed Store today to get to know the store and to introduce myself. I found there was an information board for sales of farm animals. I came accross one who is salling "Club Calves" is that a show calf? Also Simmental and Simbrah are these a good breed to raise? :) :wave:

Yes club calves are show calves.
Simmenthal or Simbrah may be good or bad. It depends on where you are and what your plans are.

countrygirl2008":2cht6u7x said:

I am not trying to discourage you but from your line of questioning you are not ready for cattle.
This is not a puppy or kitten and if you can't handle it you take to the local animal shelter.
Cattle can and will hurt or kill you!!!!!!!!!
You need to find an experienced Cattleman in your area to mentor you.
Let him teach you how to build your infrastucture work and treat cattle safely.
Don't buy the first cow until you have facilities to contain and treat cattle.

dun":30611p11 said:
countrygirl2008":30611p11 said:

Simmenthal or Simbrah may be good or bad. It depends on where you are and what your plans are.

I am in the Austin Tx area and we are planing on raising and to "turn out" I think that is the turm. I know it is hard to take care of cattle I do have some help. Don't know very meny people yet but I am getting there.[/quote]

countrygirl2008":223ssykw said:
dun":223ssykw said:
countrygirl2008":223ssykw said:

I am in the Austin Tx area and we are planing on raising and to "turn out" I think that is the turm. I know it is hard to take care of cattle I do have some help. Don't know very meny people yet but I am getting there.
[/quote] i love simbrah moma cow's but they aint begginer cattle. sometime i wonder if they are even for the experienced. the simmental would be a better choice as far as disposition they are fine cattle in my opinion. and im not saying that because simangus23 is trying to drill it into everybodys head either :mrgreen:

countrygirl2008":ztcaz82m said:
dun":ztcaz82m said:
countrygirl2008":ztcaz82m said:

I am in the Austin Tx area and we are planing on raising and to "turn out" I think that is the turm. I know it is hard to take care of cattle I do have some help. Don't know very meny people yet but I am getting there.

Since you have set your course drive to Sealy Texas and buy some Certified Golden F-1's you will be on the fast track to being an experienced cattleman.

Arnold Ziffle":3twt3k7x said:
And maybe the fast track to the hospital, eh CB? :D

We will know how fast they can run the 100 with a friendly momma cow blowing her nose in their ass pocket.
As well as how well built there pens are, could film it and sale videos.
ER trips are part of the experience, lets see I have had my ankle broken, knocked out, and stitches.

Countrygirl.2008

I have been reading your posts here now for a while and I have come to two conclusions.

# 1. EITHER You just don't listen to anything anyone tells you.

# 2. OR You are another made up personality here putting everyone on.

I'm not going to get on here and slam you I am just going to say , and for the last time. FIND YOURSELF A MENTOR ask them your questions and LISTEN to what they have to say.

Somebody needs to lock this thread before it gets any goofier!!!!!!!!!!!!

3waycross,

FYI I am listening to all the wonderful advice everyone is giving me. I am not made up!!! If you were really reading all the postings I have been putting up, you would see that. As I said before I am new at all this and all I wanted to do was ask a few questions to get an idea of what hard work a farmer, rancher and cattleman have to go through. I respect what you guys do and if you want me to not come here any more that is fine. Thank you all for the advice. I really mean it. Thanks.

countrygirl2008":2ovqxrro said:
3waycross,

FYI I am listening to all the wonderful advice everyone is giving me. I am not made up!!! If you were really reading all the postings I have been putting up, you would see that. As I said before I am new at all this and all I wanted to do was ask a few questions to get an idea of what hard work a farmer, rancher and cattleman have to go through. I respect what you guys do and if you want me to not come here any more that is fine. Thank you all for the advice. I really mean it. Thanks.
dont worry young'in this is a begginer board , and folks lose sight of that. so ask all the questions you want. no matter how dumb they might sound :p

ALACOWMAN":3030oaru said:
countrygirl2008":3030oaru said:
3waycross,

dont worry young'in this is a begginer board , and folks lose sight of that. so ask all the questions you want. no matter how dumb they might sound :p

The thing that kinda set me off was it seems like some of the questions are meant simply to be provocative. Like should I buy some Simbrah's. I had hoped she had someone at least telling her which cattle were inherently more dangerous than average. No offense intended Countrygirl but , you ask questions that scare the heck out of me sometimes.

Countrygirl,
1.) Stay away from cattle with Brahman breeding in them until you've become more experienced. They can be unpredictable.
2.) Buy some black baldy or Hereford cows. They are usually easy to handle and can be bred to several breeds of bull to produce an acceptable product.
3.) Before a cow ever sets foot on your farm, have all fences, chutes, corrals, barns, and roads in place.
4.) You are a grass farmer. Get all your pastures whipped into shape before the cows arrive.
5.) Get hard hearted. You don't work for your cows. They are your employees. Fire them if they fail to produce. If one is disabled and can't be hauled to the sale barn, be willing to put a bullet in her.
6.) You don't need a new truck and trailer with all the bells and whistles. A good used truck and trailer will haul cows just fine.
7.) Purchase used equipment that has been well maintained. You may not even need haying equipment at all. It sits idle most of the year and hay is often times cheaper purchased than baled by you.
8.) Stetsons and Tony Lama boots are unneccesary. Ball caps and Georgia Boots are much better suited to cow work.
9.) Cattle raising is nothing like "Bonanza" or "The Big Valley". It's dusty, dry, muddy, damp, hot, cold, bloody, dangerous, financially risky, stinky, heart breaking, irritating, extremely rewarding work.
10.) Bulls are dangerous.
11.) Attend workshops sponsored by your extension office.
12.) Read, read, read all you can get your hands on about the cattle business.
13.) Never be afraid to ask questions.
14.) Go for it.

J. T.":3eia41sj said:
Countrygirl,
1.) Stay away from cattle with Brahman breeding in them until you've become more experienced. They can be unpredictable.
2.) Buy some black baldy or Hereford cows. They are usually easy to handle and can be bred to several breeds of bull to produce an acceptable product.
3.) Before a cow ever sets foot on your farm, have all fences, chutes, corrals, barns, and roads in place.
4.) You are a grass farmer. Get all your pastures whipped into shape before the cows arrive.
5.) Get hard hearted. You don't work for your cows. They are your employees. Fire them if they fail to produce. If one is disabled and can't be hauled to the sale barn, be willing to put a bullet in her.
6.) You don't need a new truck and trailer with all the bells and whistles. A good used truck and trailer will haul cows just fine.
7.) Purchase used equipment that has been well maintained. You may not even need haying equipment at all. It sits idle most of the year and hay is often times cheaper purchased than baled by you.
8.) Stetsons and Tony Lama boots are unneccesary. Ball caps and Georgia Boots are much better suited to cow work.
9.) Cattle raising is nothing like "Bonanza" or "The Big Valley". It's dusty, dry, muddy, damp, hot, cold, bloody, dangerous, financially risky, stinky, heart breaking, irritating, extremely rewarding work.
14.) Go for it.

Good advice but the hat you know they have to have the big hat to go to TSC
Drive by a TSC looks like a bunch of pi$$ ant's toting crackers going in the store.

J. T.":2freveay said:
Countrygirl,
14.) Go for it.

Well said. For about the 10th time here. I for one would really like to hear about what she is doing to improve or build from scratch, her infrastructure in anticipation of this cow purchase. Also the grass situation? These are far more important issues at this point than which brand of cow should I buy. By the way JT hit it right on the head with the baldie recomendation.

Latest posts