HELP PLEASE!

Help Support CattleToday:

4-H_Kid07

Reaction score
This is going to be my first year showing cattle. I am showing at my county fair. I am going to have 2 beef steers and a dairy steer. Yeah I know alot for a first year.I was wondering in anyof you could give me anything and everything. Hits, tips everything. I have got them halter trained they are walking fine. Everything is good. I need tips for the ring and such. Thanks
Justin

4-H_Kid07":2wii4hfs said:
This is going to be my first year showing cattle. I am showing at my county fair. I am going to have 2 beef steers and a dairy steer. Yeah I know alot for a first year.I was wondering in anyof you could give me anything and everything. Hits, tips everything. I have got them halter trained they are walking fine. Everything is good. I need tips for the ring and such. Thanks
Justin
talk to your 4h advisor an get tips from them.an most importantly wear the right show ring attire.an have the correct show halters on your steers.i know your young so dress neat an tidey.

My 4-H advisor is my mom...she dont know anything becasue this is her first year. But I have been in 4-H for 2-3 years.

4-H_Kid07":wnjo5o02 said:
My 4-H advisor is my mom...she dont know anything becasue this is her first year. But I have been in 4-H for 2-3 years.
oh ok well maybe i can give you a tip or 2.when leading your calves in the ring.always keep eye contact with the judge.he will tell you when to walk.as well as when to set your calf up.you maybe allowed to use a show stick to set your calves feet up.but im not sure.i havent showed cattle in 25yrs.make sure your calves have been bathed properly an they are trimmed.an ready for the show ring.you most likely will have to bath them the morning of the show.so allow more than enough time todo so.keep your calves stall area neat an clean.keep your grooming supplies handy an in their place.

Why does it matter how many boards I put this on? Not everyone goes to everyboard. I want to hear stuff from as many people as possible.

Justin, here is a link to a 4H handbook on showing your animals. I think you will be most interested in pages 20-24. http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/publications/AS12.pdf , although it has a lot of useful information.

When we show our animals, we try to keep their heads up, and always keep an eye on the judge. Watch a few classes before yours, and you will get a feel for how the ring is set up.

If you practice setting up your bulls, they will know what to expect in the ring, and will be easier to manage. Daily handling will make them gentler. Trust your animals, but always keep your eye on them (be cautious), after all, they are still bulls, as much as we care for and love them, they grow, and don't realize their strength.

Most of all, have fun! That's what it's all about. Good Luck -Dana, Toro Muco Ranch, Costa Rica

We don't show, but a friend of mine's son does. He used to play a radio in the pen while working his heifers. This would get them used to the crowd noise. Don't know if this is the type of help you are looking for, but thought it might be of use. Also, talk to some of the upper classmen at your school. They should be able to give you some pointers. We have watched several competitions, and watching the judge is very important. Also, don't give up on your animal. We were at one show and the judge had placed the guy way down the line, but he kept setting and re-setting his animal and the judge was impressed and kept moving him up the line. He finished in the top 5. It was a large class.

Also, there are books you can buy if you have a Tractor Supply in your area on showing animals.

Good Luck!!

4-H_Kid07":14bmh7jp said:
Why does it matter how many boards I put this on? Not everyone goes to everyboard. I want to hear stuff from as many people as possible.

It matters a lot! Many people visit multiple boards here and they don't want to have to see the same post several times.

M Gravlee":cpbkjnam said:
4-H_Kid07":cpbkjnam said:

It matters a lot! Many people visit multiple boards here and they don't want to have to see the same post several times.
Well I am sorry M Gravlee and Cow Girl. I just wanted to get as many answers as possible. And people have told me to post it some messages in different boards so I did. SORRY!

4-H_Kid07":3of2elyx said:
M Gravlee":3of2elyx said:
4-H_Kid07":3of2elyx said:

Well I am sorry M Gravlee and Cow Girl. I just wanted to get as many answers as possible. And people have told me to post it some messages in different boards so I did. SORRY!

You put in in all the categories in this board. Have you used another board on the net?

backhoeboogie":fibfu7wa said:
4-H_Kid07":fibfu7wa said:
M Gravlee":fibfu7wa said:
4-H_Kid07":fibfu7wa said:

You put in in all the categories in this board. Have you used another board on the net?

I havent put it on every board. No b/c I dont know any more. you know somemore.

4-H_Kid07":14d0x8li said:
backhoeboogie":14d0x8li said:
M Gravlee":14d0x8li said:

I havent put it on every board. No b/c I dont know any more. you know somemore.

Why don't you stick with the show board on this forum. It seems to be pretty active and when I read it there's people that really want to help and answer questions. I think the show board here is your best bet.

Good luck with your animals. :)

Alice

Hey 4-H no one hates you. They have topics in which your question should be asked. I wouldn't have an answer for your question because I don't know anything about show animals. Heck if you ask some I know nothing about anything. But they are just trying to tell you is just keep in the topic you are asking the question about.
Good luck
Joy

Joy in Texas":leoipstt said:
Hey 4-H no one hates you. They have topics in which your question should be asked. I wouldn't have an answer for your question because I don't know anything about show animals. Heck if you ask some I know nothing about anything. But they are just trying to tell you is just keep in the topic you are asking the question about.
Good luck
Joy

What Joy said!

Also, I happen to admire your enthusiasm and willingness and eagerness to learn as much as you can. :)

Alice

Alice":3mm6p3of said:
Joy in Texas":3mm6p3of said:
Good luck
Joy

What Joy said!

Also, I happen to admire your enthusiasm and willingness and eagerness to learn as much as you can. :)

Alice
Well. Thank You!

4-H_Kid07":2bof4blq said:
Why does everyone hate me? Jeesh! :cry:

I wish you the best of luck. It is too bad there are not more kids getting into 4-H programs.

I just thought perhaps you misunderstood the "put it on a lot of boards" and thought this was the only one.

The last time I had personal experiences with showing animals was 31 years ago. I was never good at it then. Times have changed. Rules have changed too. Neither of my daughters chose to show animals. Hence, I am out of touch with modern methods and shows so I cannot offer much advice.

I do wish you well but there's really not much I can help you with.

Latest posts