HELP! New Brahman Owner

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, thanks again for all your replies. It has definitely given me something to think about. Those Herefords are looking better and better.

Yep! I'm convinced that this is a dominance thing. I won't do anything without my husband out there with me. I'm going to try the cane method. If it doesn't work, then I can't have her. It's too dicey, even if I stayed away completely. She could do it to someone else.

kormsby":2sukj75u said:
Well, thanks again for all your replies. It has definitely given me something to think about. Those Herefords are looking better and better.

Herefords are some of the sweetest animals you will come accross. I wanted a horse when I was a little kid, but made due with one of my brothers Hereford cows "Lady" she let me ride her anywhere I wanted to go.

Yes, I've always loved the Herefords. My uncle raised them when I was a kid and they were the gentlest, sweetest animals around! That's definitely going to be my next choice.

These things are not kittens or puppy dogs! They can really hurt you. If you're going to take an ax handle to her be sure you have an escape route and don't forget what I posted earlier, she can jump a five foot fence flat footed!

thanks norriscathy. I really do get that these are not sweet little animals like puppies. this is why I'm relying on all y'alls expertise. I've already learned a lot about Brahmans just by posting in this forum.

Why don't you contact Jim Williams at V-8 ranch. He raises and sells Brahman Cattle and works a lot with our youth. Explain what is going on and follow his advice. I know you have to watch the blood lines closely in Brahman cattle. If you get a good natured one then they are the best, but if not it is not worth getting someone hurt over. Check out the V-8 website. We have shown Brahmans so I do know a little something. Good Luck!

Dear TXCHICK, thanks so much for the recommendation! I'll contact Jim right away.

This sounds just like a friend's Longhorn cow. She was halter broke by another guy friend and would never let his wife come near her. This friend of mine who bought her has shown her and done very well with her but his wife nor son can handle her. She will not let them. She has since calved and is very gentle to men, I can walk right up to her and lead her or take her feed but don't let the wife or kid in the corral or barn with her-she tries to butt them. Your Brahman may be the same way.

Your heifer is trying to dominate you. All cows have a pecking order in the herd and she thinks her order is higher than you.

You need to go down on aisle 9 and get you some backbone. You will have to get rough with this heifer to get her attention and respect. Otherwise you will get hurt and always have an escape plan in mind when working with animals.

I have a 14 month old replacement heifer that got to where she wanted to butt me and fight me for the food bucket. This is an Angus. I had to crack her across the nose to let her know I wasn't going to play that game. She now stands back when I enter and still throws the head around a little but comes no where near me.

for a beginner you sure picked the one breed that it takes experiance to handle. if you keep messing with her shes going to relocate a few bones. get your family to decide on the hereford.are some other more docile breed ;-)

Definately sounds like a problem cow, and I have to agree with some of the other responses.. she's not worth someone getting hurt over.

Now having said that, I'm going to stick up for the Brahman breed! I have Brahman cattle, and have to agree they are different to handle than others. They will respond directly to how they are treated, and they seem to have a LONG MEMORY. The heifer you have just happens to be a Brahman, but having a Hereford doesn't mean you won't be faced with similar problems. The disposition is an individual trait, not one shared by an entire breed.

TheBullLady":dj0lil46 said:
The disposition is an individual trait, not one shared by an entire breed.
But there are more brahmans with a nasty attitude than there are Herefords.

Beefy":wz57x71q said:
more angus with nasty attitudes too, no doubt.
That's right, more Angus with nasty attitudes than there are Herefords with nasty attitudes.

TheBullLady":3dxjd28m said:
la.. lol, that of course, is a matter of opinion! I've only had one Brahman with a bad disposition. :cboy:
You have to have the gentle dispositioned ones. There are those familys, but not near all of them,

where do you get yours bulllady? or do youraise all of your brahman replacements.

Latest posts