HELP! New Brahman Owner

Help Support CattleToday:

kormsby

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this board and to cattle and I need some advice.

It's a long story that I won't go into, but the short version is this: our daughter wanted a Brahman heifer to raise and show. We got one (she's a real beauty). We already had three young goats as companions for the heifer, which she and we love. She was very, very shy and skiddish when we first got her.

Now, my husband has worked and worked with her for a couple of months now and she has calmed down considerably. HOWEVER, she has recently started working me over pretty good. I'm not sure what the behavior means and, being new to this, need some guidance. Lately, every time I come into the stall or the small pasture that she is kept in, she gets very aggressive with me. She starts pushing me around with her head and swinging her head back and forth. She has even started jumping and running, and backing away.

I'm not ashamed to admit that this intimidates the heck out of me. This girl is about 700 lbs. to my 130 and she is already taller than me. I imagine that they can sense when someone is intimidated and that's not good. Is she trying to show dominence or is she playing or what?

Personally, I really, really wanted Herefords to start with but I was outvoted. Now we have this girl and I want to keep her but I'm clueless at what is the best step to correct this behavior. :help:

Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I think too. I don't know what happened. I am the last person who would have done anything mean to cause this behavior. I'm a pushover. I thought that might be the problem.

This sounds nasty, but take a good, stout cane with you and the next time she threatens or bunts you, give her a hefty wallop across the snout. Give her two if she tries it again.

She might shake her head after a good smack, but she'll think twice about hitting you.

I know it sounds rude, but seriously, if you watch cattle interact, they are very physical with each other when establishing dominance (which is what your heifer is doing to you). They will bunt the snot out of each other to get to the feed, salt block, grain, water, what-have-you. Even a cow with a new little calf will occasionally give it a bunt that will sometimes almost flatten it when she wants to move the calf away or around.

Just the nature of the beast, but as you've said, she already outweighs you, and she's definately not getting any smaller in the future. I've known far too many people that have been seriously injured working stock, and would hate to hear that you've been put in the hospital.

Take care and good luck.

kormsby":kficverq said:
Personally, I really, really wanted Herefords to start with but I was outvoted. Now we have this girl and I want to keep her but I'm clueless at what is the best step to correct this behavior. :help:

Thanks!
Take a vote on who is more valuable to the family; You or the brahman. Be sure to have enough life insurance to cover hospital bills and/or funeral funeral expenses and to hire and pay for someone to take your place until your husband finds another wife or live in housekeeper.
I just had over $100,00000 hospital expenses since Thanksgiving 2004 until early November 2005 and it's not over yet.

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry to hear about that! Was it a Brahman that injured you??

kormsby":33itgmy8 said:
Oh my gosh! I'm sorry to hear about that! Was it a Brahman that injured you??
Nope, a horse; many years ago. It could have just as well been a Brahman.

Both of the other two posters are worth listening to.
If you are up to it, I would try Annie's way. Cane, axe handle, etc. I say if you are up to it because some people are too timid to use the needed force. If you don't want to, or if this doesn't work in a hurry, then you have to follow the second posters advice and get rid of her.

This animal thinks she is superior to some humans. Don't put up with it.

I bought a young girl's heifer project several years ago. Gentle as a lamb out in the pasture but a real dynamo when she was penned. Tried to sell her for 3 straight years. But, when I got her in the Powder River sweep tub (about 5 ft high) she would jump flat foot over the side and get away! They are a "different" kind of animal, not my choice for a young lady. Just be careful and do not get hurt. Above all; do not trust any animal that is 10 times your weight and 4 times as fast!

Thanks very much for all the advice! I'll keep you posted. I'll have to think about the best way for me, personally, to handle it. I have read and heard that Brahmans are a very different kind of breed. To me, they seem extremely sensitive and a bit high-maintenance. I've even read that if they sit down and won't get up, for example, when you're walking them on a lead, that this is a sign of extreme stress and that to continue to try to force them can even result in death! I don't know if any of that is true, but I know that she has done this before, and we have just waited until she was ready to get up again.

Im not really sure about the stress part, but they are a very sensitive breed and high maintenance. My bull is a perfect example of that. He will do whatever I want him to do most of the time. If I dont give him enough attention, he starts throwing feed buckets around until I at least come scratch him. A while back he was real playful with me always trying to put his head under me and lift me up. One day I accidentally kicked him in the nose. Never tryed it again. Most other people he will still try this on, until they are around him enough that he knows them.

If your husband can lead her around, maybe have him tie her up and you can go in and brush and pet her. I wouldnt just go in and give her a good smack. If she doesnt know you she will associate you with getting smacked, then youll never get near her. Ive always been told that you never want to really hit a brahman because they will remember that.

Why waste the time?

Go pick up someone who has been sent to the next world by an animal - you will not like what you see.

This thing has your number - and I suspect you might not have the - no insult intended - strength or stomach for the beating it may deserve - Annie is correct about animal behaviour.

Get rid of this animal. Get something that works.

Bez

Thanks for that advice too. The thing is, it's not that she doesn't know me. I've been with her and around her since she came here. She definitely knows who I am. It sounds like it could be an attention thing. We have these three goats that are part of her "herd" and I've noticed that, whenever I am petting, playing with, or doing anything with the goats, that she comes over and starts nudging me and all that.

My husband has been tying her up for a couple of hours at a time for awhile now. I think I will try your suggestion of petting and brushing her while she is tied up. See how that works.

She also is prone to running and "playing" with the goats out in the pasture. And she LOVES the pasture. If we don't let her out, she gets really indignant. Is a couple of hours being tied up enough you think?

Bez, and all,

No, I didn't take offense to it. That's why I'm posting on this site, to get as much info as I can from people who have the experience. And it sounds like you guys are all pretty experienced with cattle.

I may not have the stomach to deal with her the way she needs. If that is the case, we may have to make a change.

kormsby":3mxz1g3s said:
I may not have the stomach to deal with her the way she needs. If that is the case, we may have to make a change.
For your sake you better make a change. Read Bez!'s advice again until you understand what he's saying.

Oh no, I totally understand what he's saying. It sounds like several of you here have either personally experienced, or known someone seriously injured or killed by an animal. And there is NO animal worth that. I really do need to consider this.

kormsby":3fmjf52f said:
Oh no, I totally understand what he's saying. It sounds like several of you here have either personally experienced, or known someone seriously injured or killed by an animal. And there is NO animal worth that. I really do need to consider this.
Just have adequate insurance coverage for you and/or your familys sake.

Along the same lines as everyone else, sounds more like she's establishing dominance over you rather than "playing" with you. As you have already stated, you're a push-over and I'm sure she senses that. When with the herd of goats, she is most likely shoving you aside more out of her being the dominant one in the herd.
It may sound cruel, but if you can, do as Annie said, and the next time she takes a crack at you, take a crack at her. Your safety and wellbeing are more important. If this behavior continues it will be time to change animals. Hereford is certainly a good choice.
Best of luck to you.

Katherine

Brammers can be REAL nasty when they want to be. I supect she may sense your timidness. I am a firm believe that horses and cattle can sense fear.

I too bought a pet cow and calf one time. I lead the cow in the trailer with some watermelon. I got her home and let her out into a small area surrounding the catch pens and she just ran right through the barbed wire and the field fence behind it. Tore down about six posts. I could not get near her. I didn't even worm her for three years running because I couldn't catch her without a bullet. When I finally did pen her, she would try to catch me. This is the same cow that I hand fed and led into the stock trailer. I beat her about the face with a big stick but I never trusted her again. She is retired to the far fields. I go down once a year and get her calf. I will catch her one more time and that will be the time she goes back into the trailer. ;-)

I might add that if you are gonna try to "stand up to her" with a cane, axe handle etc. be sure to have someone out there with you for back up.

Latest posts