HELP! New Brahman Owner

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleAnnie":1d14c8qg said:
This sounds nasty, but take a good, stout cane with you and the next time she threatens or bunts you, give her a hefty wallop across the snout. Give her two if she tries it again.

She might shake her head after a good smack, but she'll think twice about hitting you.

I know it sounds rude, but seriously, if you watch cattle interact, they are very physical with each other when establishing dominance (which is what your heifer is doing to you). They will bunt the snot out of each other to get to the feed, salt block, grain, water, what-have-you. Even a cow with a new little calf will occasionally give it a bunt that will sometimes almost flatten it when she wants to move the calf away or around.

Just the nature of the beast, but as you've said, she already outweighs you, and she's definately not getting any smaller in the future. I've known far too many people that have been seriously injured working stock, and would hate to hear that you've been put in the hospital.

Take care and good luck.

Well Annie you and I were thinking on the same lines I was just thinking about a fine piece of hickory. What is needed is a come to Jesus meeting here.

Beefy,

I'd say 80% of my Brahman cows are ones I raised, specifically out of one bull I had 10 years ago. I've also bought replacements here and there, at registered sales.

I've been lucky.. the one I was thinking that had a bad disposition I bought at a sale, and she didn't seem bad until I got her home. She was out of a very popular bloodline, and after my experience with her, I watched for others with the same lines, and found they had similar dispositions.

It's usually pretty easy to tell their dispostion.. especially penned up at a sale.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":297r3h4l said:
I dont know why everyone keeps preaching herefords. I have been around some pretty crazy herefords in my day. Especially when the people bred em to like limos, beefmasters, brahmans etc. Im not saying by any means that herefords are bad its just for me I guess the point im trying to make is a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I use my stock stick on cows such as that brahman with a hit accross the bridge of the nose they usually stop their butting.

If you have seen more crazy Herefords than other breeds you ain't seen very many cows.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1twz4ns7 said:
I dont know why everyone keeps preaching herefords. I have been around some pretty crazy herefords in my day. Especially when the people bred em to like limos, beefmasters, brahmans etc.
Are you saying that breeding a Hereford to Limos, Beefmasters, and Brahmans make the Herefords Crazy Huummmmmm I never noticed that before and I been around cows a long time.

As far as brahmans go...we've got two in our barn plus I see em every month when we go to get our calves hooves trimmed. They can be real sweet...I'm not sure who said you should never hit a brahman but I can say that's not true. One of the brahman calves at our school barn named "Sassy" (cause she was, at one time) was real sassy...the girl got to whacking her with the show stick, broke it one time, and Sassy's been the sweetest cow I've ever met since.

whacking a show calf and smacking a testy cow in the working pen are two totally different scenarios...

the whacking was done during the breaking process. sorry...i assumed this was a calf for show?

you are right. sorry, i was just saying in general...
brahmans dont tend to respond to force very well..

Latest posts