Help-Fence Post Lifting

Help Support CattleToday:

SteppedInIt

Reaction score
I went and tightened up my back run of fence wire. A few days later notice I had a section of T post lifted in a natural drainage area. That area is unusually soft from the rains and continual wet. I was thinking about replacing with 4" wooden posts, but not sure in this condition if that will hold or should I add more T post in the line? It pulled up about two feet up from the wire tension. So that means my bottom wire is about three feet from the ground now. This lifted part of the fence is approximately 75'. Other option is to leave wire pulled tight, and just run some more strands of wire below, until the ground dries up. This 4 T post between two wooden post. Suggestions?

SteppedInIt":2cn0b0j2 said:
I went and tightened up my back run of fence wire. A few days later notice I had a section of T post lifted in a natural drainage area. That area is unusually soft from the rains and continual wet. I was thinking about replacing with 4" wooden posts, but not sure in this condition if that will hold or should I add more T post in the line? It pulled up about two feet up from the wire tension. So that means my bottom wire is about three feet from the ground now. This lifted part of the fence is approximately 75'. Other option is to leave wire pulled tight, and just run some more strands of wire below, until the ground dries up. This 4 T post between two wooden post. Suggestions?

Try this. Go get you a few 10foot t post and a 6 foot step ladder. Drive the 10s in the low spots as deep as you possibly can. More often than not this works. Post will only cost about 7 bucks and minimal labor.

callmefence":2vsi6nc7 said:
Try this. Go get you a few 10foot t post and a 6 foot step ladder. Drive the 10s in the low spots as deep as you possibly can. More often than not this works. Post will only cost about 7 bucks and minimal labor.
I believe that will work and what I am gonna do. Thanks. Now why didn't I think of that? :lol:

Two options I see a lot of here in the west. #1 a large rock. About all you want to handle weight wise. Wire around the rock and then up to every strand of wire on the fence. A 100+ pound rock will hold down a lot of fence. #2 Beside a few of the Tee posts drive another Tee post at a 45% or better angle. Drive it in as far as you can. Wire the two posts together. That way you are not just pulling straight up on a single post but also pulling that other post sideways out of the ground. I have seen both of those work on some serious up and down ground.

I vote for the rock, but we have more tan an adequate supply of pretty hefty rocks.

You can also weld some additional 'barbs' on the T post to help prevent it from lifting...

Two posts driven in at an angle to form an "A" can also help

JMJ Farms":1v5b7xs8 said:
The pro knows. Get the 10' posts and the ladder and you will be back home in time to drink your coffee on time.
Around here you'd be most of the way through a 24 pack to get that 10' post into the ground.. You feel good if you get it in about 18".. Of course all that rock you're pounding through going down grabs pretty hard when you try to pull it out too.

That's one plus about Middle Georgia. We have very little rock to contend with. Got some clay that "I think" is almost as bad! Especially when it's dry.

I've got an electrician friend that has a "power driver" for ground rods. Looks like a drill that basically sits on top of the ground rod or tpost and vibrates. It's pretty dang effective. Just plug it in, turn it on, and go work on something else. But I'm not sure it will handle rock. ?

JMJ Farms":1qell4ez said:
The pro knows. Get the 10' posts and the ladder and you will be back home in time to drink your coffee on time.

Another situation where the 10' T-posts would work well is if you have the opposite problem with posts becoming pushed too far into the ground. Then you just need to keep raising the wires on the post as it goes further in the ground :idea:

I've always used a dead man. Same thing as the rock but you bury it. If you get a hundred pound rock buried three foot deep that fence will stay down. :D

cow pollinater":2fe82dmb said:
I've always used a dead man. Same thing as the rock but you bury it. If you get a hundred pound rock buried three foot deep that fence will stay down. :D

Text book method . specs on jobs we do on ft hood call for this method. Except it's 2+2+2 concrete deadman. Lots of labor though.
The t post drove in 4_5 foot deep work very well for a repair. Usually good enough to call permanent.

Latest posts