Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

6 new calves as of Sunday…4 bulls, 1 female, and 1 not yet determined…should be able to get a closer look over the next 2 or 3 days…stuck in Galveston for the annual conference until tomorrow…3 days of torture by power point

I am joining in this conversation sorta late. I am sorry about your Dad passing. When people begin to decline in the end, they just do not feel like taking care of things the way they used to. My husband was having so much trouble with both legs, a couple of years before he passed, and he just did not stay after things the way he should have. And fences grew up and then here come those blasted rose bushes. They are OK in places, but not on the fence line where they like to grow up in your electric fence. Seems like there is always a huge wasp nest right in the middle of the largest bushes. FUN!

I know what you are speaking of when you talk about coming in behind and having to get things cleaned up. There always seems to be a tree or trees growing up through the middle of equipment. That is a mess for sure.
You have a great place and I bet your wife being a country girl is going to learn to love those cows.
You were talking about all the heavy duty bush hogging, and goodness my husband let some land go at the end that needed it.
We have a Brown Tree Cutter, one of the heavy duty jobs that if you go slow, you can cut some good sized trees with them. He tried it before with our John Deere cutter, and messed it up and had to repair it. So, therefore, the Brown Tree Cutter came to live with us. But that Brown Tree Cutter will eat them up.
You have a good looking bunch of cows and now you get to be the boss of things and do it like you want it done. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I have enjoyed reading about your adventures on the farm.
Enjoy those Spring storms as they come through. The Lord is preparing your land for timed harvests as he says, and it building up your water table. Let's hope that it doesn't turn off dry this summer. We had rains in Tennessee in the beginning when the crops were planted, and for a while after that, but it got dry at the end. People with crowded pastures didn't have grass. So they had to feed hay early. So, knock on wood, we get timed rains.
Keep on keeping on @gman4691!!

And #8 has arrived…not much more than a day old here…little black female born to ear tag #3 (also shown here). I love this time of the year…oh yeah…bull and all cows accounted for after the two bull fights and ensuing fence destruction…everybody is back where they belong

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Here we go again…bull is awol…again…haven't found a break in the fence so it's a bit of a mystery. To add to the intrigue, saw a young (3-4 month old) bull on my place today. Definitely not one of mine. This one is black with a little white around the eyes - probably one of the neighbor's. Too old to be from my bull and too young to be from the previous bull…this is getting old. Evidently, my bull likes the neighbor's cows better than ours. Or it maybe that ours are calving and the neighbor's aren't. Guess he's looking for love and they are happy to oblige. The neighbor's giant Hereford bull needs to get with the program over there.

Incidentally, the rye grass is off the charts this year…a good many spots out there are almost knee deep. As for grazing pastures - cows are eating the grass as soon as it shows up…not paying much attention to the last round bale I put out.

Hot wire is up on the section of fence where the altercation took place. Not a great install but will do until I can give a little more attention - more pressing things to do for now. But, it works…don't ask me how I know…trust me, it works…lol
And the bulls got into it again…boys will be boys…I see a hot wire or two in the very near future

And here's the new piece of dinnerware for the girls - steel re-purposed from water line spool.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 12
Good work.
Sooo - is it upside down? and you will be putting in more divider bars?? My calves would be right inside of that - even yearlings.
Yes…it is upside down…had a 4th ring in it but it didn't leave enough space for them to reach through and eat…I didn't account for the 6" feet on the bottom or the 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" square tubing…duh…and the little ones can get in after the hay is mostly eaten down…saw some in an old one the other day… they can get out easily enough while the wider space at the top makes it easier for the cows to eat more…I have some of the big black plastic ones…if the second one down was removed, they could get to the hay lower down wasting less

Latest posts