Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

a generator and a gas fireplace is a great investment if you have power failure anywhere
Yes, sir…I do love a wood burning fireplace but I'm not getting any younger. I can still go out and cut, split, and stack firewood like a wild man so this was more of a preemptive strike…as it were.

Back to blistering winds and blizzard conditions - should only get couple inches of snow - but the wind is brutal on the cattle. Our "ladies in waiting" (pregnants close to calving - right outside my window) do not have any real wind block. So, to say the least, when we go out about NOW - and "sort" which ones looks ready to calve tonight to go in the barn, it's a mad rush for the gate trying to get in the barn. Heifers just follow the crowd, but the cows KNOW the program. If one of our older cows starts going into labor outside, they stand by the gate kinda with their legs crossed holding baby in waiting to get into a pen! LOL The old girls sure know the program. I have 8 that need to go in barn tonight. We need some to start popping - we have a full house!
I always fed late afternoon or at night because it seemed like cattle fed in the morning would calve at night.

Put out some more cubes today and turned off the water to the troughs today…now to find a movie set in the tropics or maybe desert to try and forget that wind outside
Nah, stick with the program. A good spaghetti western fits well with this weather. Always a wind in the background noise, and someone whistling like they're sitting on the pot.
Don'tchu break tradition!

I rolled out enough hay for all the Brahmans to get a belly full this evening and left some whole for them to make it a couple days on the south side of a brush line. When they came to me I noticed one dragging a little. When I rolled the hay out she laid down in pile and was eating at the same time. All the others were on their feet strung out on the line.

My guess is she is about to domino. They aren't bred back to a Brahman so hopefully the F1 calf gets up and rolling.

Last edited:
Domino? I thought I was the last one still using that. It was in common usage here 40ish years ago. When I use it nowadays, people look at me like I have two heads.

Put out some more cubes today and turned off the water to the troughs today…now to find a movie set in the tropics or maybe desert to try and forget that wind outside
That's the reason I have a feeder that will hold a ton of range meal. Just so I don't have to go out in such events.

Speaking of that: put out some hay & cubes this evening…several cows are looking like they are "in the family way"…this spring we'll see if this bull is worth what we paid…this will be the first crop of calves from him…here's hoping…should get some idea around March-April…a couple may "domino" in February from the looks of things

Latest posts