Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Turned off pretty today…temps low to mid-60's…supposed to get up to low 70's tomorrow…ah…winter in East Texas…wake up and dress like an Eskimo and put on flip-flops in the afternoon…wreaking havoc with some people's allergies & sinuses…supposed to start hitting overnight low 20's & high teens next week…cows looking happy, so far…and look at that sky…life is good

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 2
Turned off pretty today…temps low to mid-60's…supposed to get up to low 70's tomorrow…ah…winter in East Texas…wake up and dress like an Eskimo and put on flip-flops in the afternoon…wreaking havoc with some people's allergies & sinuses…supposed to start hitting overnight low 20's & high teens next week…cows looking happy, so far…and look at that sky…life is good
Monday night's low has been changed to 9 degrees on the forecast, Tuesday night shows 12 degrees...then the lows climb back into the 20's with daytime highs in the 40's to low 50's

Whew...the wind has been kicking today. 15-25 mph with 40 mph gusts. Ambient temps aren't that bad but the wind coupled with the humidity from recent rains makes it feel uncomfortably chilly...and I have to get out on that open cab tractor this evening to put out some hay and cubes...gonna be a chilly ride...and Monday night's low has been revised down...again...to 8 degrees...brrrrr

Last edited:
Hopefully the power grid holds up this time. I better get my propane tanks filled up and gas for the generator, just to be safe.

Whew...the wind has been kicking today. 15-25 mph with 40 mph gusts. Ambient temps aren't that bad but the wind coupled with the humidity from recent rains makes it feel uncomfortably chilly...and I have to get out on that open cab tractor this evening to put out some hay and cubes...gonna be a chilly ride...and Monday night's low has been revised down...again...to 8 degrees...brrrrr
As long as you don't have this crap it won't be bad.
IMG_2036.jpeg

As long as you don't have this crap it won't be bad.
View attachment 39484
May have it early next week...probably sleet instead of snow...chance of precipitation Monday with a Monday night low of 8 degrees...if the temps and the precip is aligned, it could make for some nasty road conditions for a day or two...y'all be careful out there

May have it early next week...probably sleet instead of snow...chance of precipitation Monday with a Monday night low of 8 degrees...if the temps and the precip is aligned, it could make for some nasty road conditions for a day or two...y'all be careful out there
That event made for some interesting tractor rides in Tyler County.
Early 2000's before Rita had a bad sleet storm we were without power nine days.

That event made for some interesting tractor rides in Tyler County.
Early 2000's before Rita had a bad sleet storm we were without power nine days.
I've gotten soft…when we built this house a couple of years ago, we included a good Cummins generator and I'm almost ashamed to say it…a gas fireplace

We'll crap…the wind uprooted a HUGE tree that fell right on top of an old semi-v hull aluminum boat I had by one of the ponds…gonna be a booger getting that tree moved…sigh…fortunately, it can wait a few weeks

We'll crap…the wind uprooted a HUGE tree that fell right on top of an old semi-v hull aluminum boat I had by one of the ponds…gonna be a booger getting that tree moved…sigh…fortunately, it can wait a few weeks
You know the rule of trees?
They always fall to maximize damage and removal.

Well that lasted all of maybe 4 days. Back to rain, rain, mud, MUD. Between the rain falling and snow melting, we had water gushing everywhere.
Lovely!
Our two weeks of winter started today…Monday and Tuesday's overnight lows have been upgraded to the balmy teens…a couple of weeks of overnight lows in the 20's after that…then our muddy season will start unless another cold front comes through…light sleet today and a chance of heavier sleet tomorrow…y'all keep warm up there

Back to blistering winds and blizzard conditions - should only get couple inches of snow - but the wind is brutal on the cattle. Our "ladies in waiting" (pregnants close to calving - right outside my window) do not have any real wind block. So, to say the least, when we go out about NOW - and "sort" which ones looks ready to calve tonight to go in the barn, it's a mad rush for the gate trying to get in the barn. Heifers just follow the crowd, but the cows KNOW the program. If one of our older cows starts going into labor outside, they stand by the gate kinda with their legs crossed holding baby in waiting to get into a pen! LOL The old girls sure know the program. I have 8 that need to go in barn tonight. We need some to start popping - we have a full house!

Latest posts