Hello from Deep East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

That's nothing to play with, I use a tractor with a front end loader, to help hold it while I'm cutting, me n a friend were cutting cord wood a few years back, he cut a limb that hit me square in the back, it wasn't that big of a limb but it knocked me flat, I thought my back was broke, but luckily it wasn't.
It's good when you can do that...unfortunately this one wasn't really in a good place for that.

We might try to turn another 100 acres into hay meadow, we have to hog fence it, plow and drag it, put out chicken litter and weed killer, lots of work, it wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the hogs.
Takes a bit to rehab one but I'm convinced it's worth doing if at all possible. I won't have to disc mine but the chicken litter and herbicide will be critical.

Sometimes when cutting brush, you find surprises. This is some kind of old cultivator that a cedar tree had grown into…zoom in on the right and you can kind of see how the cedar had grown around part of it. Happy to say I got it cut out with hitting any metal with the chainsaw…a nerve wracking experience but cutting it out without breaking a saw chain deserves some kind of award if I do say so myself…lol

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 27
Incidentally, the guys started working on the lot (pen) today…got the old stuff taken down. They had a flat on their tractor so I used mine to offload their welder for them. Should be wrapped up in a couple of days. Getting a price tomorrow from a guy for mowing the back pasture…still don't have my bush hog back and this really needs to get done. Hate to hire that out when I can do it myself but time is of the essence.

Sometimes when cutting brush, you find surprises. This is some kind of old cultivator that a cedar tree had grown into…zoom in on the right and you can kind of see how the cedar had grown around part of it. Happy to say I got it cut out with hitting any metal with the chainsaw…a nerve wracking experience but cutting it out without breaking a saw chain deserves some kind of award if I do say so myself…lol
*without hitting any metal…just caught that and my OCD kicked in…sigh

I hate to bring it up, but hidden & grown over equipment in a field being mowed is how we lost a great forum member name Bigfoot..

Incidentally, the guys started working on the lot (pen) today…got the old stuff taken down. They had a flat on their tractor so I used mine to offload their welder for them. Should be wrapped up in a couple of days. Getting a price tomorrow from a guy for mowing the back pasture…still don't have my bush hog back and this really needs to get done. Hate to hire that out when I can do it myself but time is of the essence.
Bad News: This guy who was going to mow the back pasture just doesn't return calls. Stood me up 3 times after setting up a time to meet.

Good News: We had some cash left over from budgeting for infrastructure improvements this year so now I have a brand spanking new John Deere RC6R super duty bush hog. The guy said it can handle things up to 4" in diameter...of course, I won't be cutting anything THAT big...geez...4 inches?! I've got fence posts that are 4" diameter. However, it should be able to handle anything I have to cut on my place. Gave it about a 3 hour test run late yesterday...worked like a champ. Now, if I can just get that whole back pasture cut this winter, I will be well on the way to having that pasture in pretty good shape...mow this winter, fertilize and spray this coming spring...may even be able to bale off of it if all goes well weather-wise. Just have to adapt and overcome...the guy could have made a decent paycheck if had just called me back...but I'm done waiting. Two or three full days and it will be done...hope the bone-chilling cold can hold off for a little while longer (open cab tractor & I don't do cold). They say if you are going to pray for rain, you should prepare your fields to receive it...working on it.

Well, Merry Christmas to you!!! That's awesome.
Bone chilling - yesterday is was 47F late morning, rained at least 3" (no not rain - downpoured) - by 3pm it was 31F - turned to wind and snow during the night. Only about 2" - but the cattle were soaked to the bone, THEN, turned freezing. That's hard on them.

Bone chilling - yesterday is was 47F late morning, rained at least 3" (no not rain - downpoured) - by 3pm it was 31F - turned to wind and snow during the night. Only about 2" - but the cattle were soaked to the bone, THEN, turned freezing. That's hard on them.
Whew! Keep that cold stuff up there if you can...this little east Texas farm boy does not handle the cold well...at all.

Merry Christmas to y'all as well.
Now you keep all that white crap up north! I'm not living anywhere you need white camouflage.

I enjoy reading about y'all's operations in the great white north…lol…to me, everything north of I-20 is Canada…don't know how y'all do it but I never cease to be amazed…rock on snow cow people…I am justifiably impressed

Typical East Texas winter today…temps in high-40's to low-50's, wind gusts, and pouring down rain…and here I am on my only full day off unable to head out and get to work…going stir crazy

Latest posts