Heifer Vaccination

Help Support CattleToday:

IBR BVD 7way blacklegg worming and bangs if they under 12 months old . i may of forgot some shots. not sure tho. scott

I vaccinate all our heifers with Electroid 7 (Blackleg) and Virashield 5 + VL5 (IBR, BVD, PI3, vibrio, lepto, etc) at weaning time, or 6-7 mos old. They get 5 cc of each vaccine, one on left side of neck, and the other on the right side, given SQ. They are then taken to the vet for their OCV (bangs). Before I turn them out of the weaning pen (after 4 weeks), they get a booster of the blackelg and the Virashield (same dosage as the first round).

From that time on, they get an annual vaccination of the blackleg and Virashield, along with the rest of the herd.

my weaned heifers and bulls get blackleg/somnus and virashield 5 + vl5 with boosters..

jt

haymaker,

I reposted this from another thread. I thought it to be very good info.

quote from Ken McMillan, D.V.M....Progressive Farmer 11/2004;

"When is the best time to give cows annual vaccinations?

Vaccinate as close as possible to when the disease risk is greatest. In your cow herd, the biggest risk is aborton and infertility from IBR, vibriosis and leptospirosis. The best time to vaccinate for these diseases is after all have calved but before you put in the bulls. This also allows you to use modified live vaccines, which are much better at providing protection, are cheaper and are actually less srtessful.
If viral or bacterial scours are a big problem, cows need vaccination in the last two months before your calving season. The biggest risks for calves are clostridial and respiratory diseases. Ideally, calves should get a "blackleg" between two and four months and a booster after six months of age. They also need at least one four-way respiratory vaccine(IBR,BVD,PI3 and BRSV)before weaning, if at all possible. Always give a respiratory booster. And replacement heifers should receive another booster along with lepto and vibro two to four weeks before they are to be bred."

Latest posts