heifer not bred but bagging up

Help Support CattleToday:

Megan

Reaction score
I have a red angus cross heifer that is nothing but a head ache. We have bred her 6 times and cannot get her in calf. She has been IA and out with a bull. The vet and AI tech say that physically she is fine. This past week she started bagging up and now she has milk she looks as though she has just calved. As far as we know she isn't even bred.
I would definalty like to make this heifer hamburg but she is my 4-H porject and I have to show her for the year...plus she is a really good heifer isn't that always the way ...... Any suggestions of what this might be or how I could get rid of the udder so I can at least show her with out embarassment would be appredicated.

Megan":31og1jzv said:
I have a red angus cross heifer that is nothing but a head ache. We have bred her 6 times and cannot get her in calf. She has been IA and out with a bull. The vet and AI tech say that physically she is fine. This past week she started bagging up and now she has milk she looks as though she has just calved. As far as we know she isn't even bred.
I would definalty like to make this heifer hamburg but she is my 4-H porject and I have to show her for the year...plus she is a really good heifer isn't that always the way ...... Any suggestions of what this might be or how I could get rid of the udder so I can at least show her with out embarassment would be appredicated.
ok something isnt right or im not understanding you at all.yopu say your heifer is open.an you say she is bagging up.she could just have fluid in her bagg to my thinking.but then you say she is producing milk.have you got her running with calves that could be sucking her.thats my thought.have you tryed teating or milking her to see if anything comes out her teats.now she could be bred an just bagging.but there again you say your vet said she was open.

she could possibly be aborting if she is coming onto her milk. and you just havent seen the fetus. where do you keep her?

I'd too guess the vet made a mistake. This last winter a cow freshened where I work who was on the cull list, identified as "open."

TexasBred":1etue2vt said:
A vet that can't find a two month fetus should quit charging for the service.

If she is bagging, she is way farther along than just 2 months! Probably more like 8-9 months. Could you bump her to see any movement? My guess is the Vet made an error. I guess you could just wait and see what happens, or have her checked.

Gail

Latest posts