health insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

wv mud river

Reaction score
has anyone looked at the health insurance rates for 2016? mine are going up. I now have self and family plan.was going to switch to self plus one (just me and wife now) but I will be paying more???? thought my premiums would be about half.rates increased across the board.this is a federal plan.

I don't know. I got a letter a couple weeks ago telling me I will have to find a new plan. The one I have will not be available next year. This after having to find new doctors since the ones I've been seeing the past 10 years were not on the approved providers list.

So much for being able to continue using the doctors of your choice.

1982vett":31p7kyyo said:
I don't know. I got a letter a couple weeks ago telling me I will have to find a new plan. The one I have will not be available next year. snip...

I got the same letter from BC & BS. Gotta feeling they will tag us for lots more than this year. If I remember correctly you won't be able to see the new rates until Nov. 1.

slick4591":2bi6rn0k said:
1982vett":2bi6rn0k said:
I don't know. I got a letter a couple weeks ago telling me I will have to find a new plan. The one I have will not be available next year. snip...

I got the same letter from BC & BS. Gotta feeling they will tag us for lots more than this year. If I remember correctly you won't be able to see the new rates until Nov. 1.
Yep. That's it.

MIne's barely affordable, if you have $800 to throw away every month and don't need to see a doctor. The minute you have to see a doctor, the cost spirals into infinity none of which is covered by insurance.

ga.prime":1xjd73mk said:
MIne's barely affordable, if you have $800 to throw away every month and don't need to see a doctor. The minute you have to see a doctor, the cost spirals into infinity none of which is covered by insurance.

But its affordable right?

1982vett":5akukr0s said:
Yep. That's it.

I went looking for a reason they were cancelling the Blue Choice plan and ran across something that said they had paid out more than they had taken in. Yep. That'll do it most near every time. The same article said that just about every premium will be going up by 10% or more.

What do y'all expect? My hospital bill for 23 hours was $220.000. THOUSAND. The doctor bill was only $15,000. Thousand. We've had the hospital knock about $20.k off the bill for charges that I didn't receive.

I'm happy I paid in to a high end plan since 2002 so that it could be cancelled by the government just before I needed it.

I have no idea what I'm getting ready to get hit for this year, but it won't be good. Major surgery planned for December. Minor outpatient stuff reached over 15k.

Last er visit the doctors fee was almost $800 just for the exam. Was "just" $400 less than two years ago.

slick4591":2uw3ncor said:
1982vett":2uw3ncor said:
Yep. That's it.

I went looking for a reason they were cancelling the Blue Choice plan and ran across something that said they had paid out more than they had taken in. Yep. That'll do it most near every time. The same article said that just about every premium will be going up by 10% or more.
My hba1c jumped 2 points the las 6 months so I now have a new prescription. Over the counter it would cost roughly $526 a month. I paid $25 for it. It replaces one that would run around $330 a month if bought over the counter. Was getting that one for $10. The other stuff I'm on would run about $37 a month so I'm mostly breaking even on my premium. Course my wife's premium is not recouped. Our premium runs just under $12000 a year with a $12400 deductible. My new dermatologist took 11 biopsies last month. Having the Mohs procedure on 6 of them. Looks like that is going to cost me another 7 or 8 thousand before I'm done.

Jogeephus":2xzc3i87 said:
Mine went up 30% after they made it affordable.

Ours more than doubled, we lost some coverage but gained coverage on crap we never, ever had nor wanted nor needed coverage for. Our deductable is ridiculous. Don't get me started. :mad: :mad: :mad: :devil2: :devil2:

Obama Care...What a great idea!!..NOT!!...I hope the next person elected into the house has the balls to repeal it. What was once some what affordable is now no longer affordable. :mad: :mad:

BC BS is asking for a 50% premium increase here for 2016.
The cost of insured individuals (vs. groups) is much higher that projected.
It is not clear why this is a big surprise ? Didn't any one read the fine print ?

Nearly every doctor see owns a ranch and a cowherd. Some hire the work done and some actual works the cattle. With the fees they charge they can afford the $4000 an acre ranches in the area.

I think it was ridiculous to create Obama Care, what millions of citizens had, worked fine and was affordable. Why didn't the Government just create a separate insurance fund for those that had special needs or just change the Welfare system by naming it Obama Care or whatever, and why in hell are we paying for welfare for imported people that are not U.S. Citizens ?

Last night my wife and I were helping an elderly person figure out how to fill out the forms for medicaid. A pile of data entry in a computer, a 40 page book, then we have to sit down with a gov't person to finalize it all sometime Thursday between 5 and 8 pm. How on earth do they expect an 90 year old woman to be computer literate and enter all this stuff? My wife took off from work and sat through a 3 hour seminar on how to do it and she is still confused. The lady welded victory ships during WWII and has worked all her life and they expect her, at her age, to sit through a seminar like this and comprehend their madness and then be able to fill all this crap out, enter it in the computer and make all these decisions. All I have to say is whoever dreamed up this mess is one twisted individual. Its sad when someone who has worked all their lives and been an asset to the community and country is treated like this. Its appalling that we can't do better than this. Folks like this deserve better.

Don't get me started--I'm just now starting to heal up some, and my mailbox runneth over with affordable medical bills.

Jogeephus":3sk37249 said:
Its appalling that we can't do better than this. Folks like this deserve better.

I agree wholeheartedly!

A dear friend of ours, in his 70's, lives on his social security. His monthly check is in the $900.00 area, less than $1,000.00 a month. He had cancer, twice, has heart issues. He has 23 acres, second generation owner. He has 5 cows and 5 goats. A 1999 Ford pick-up, a 1974 John Deere tractor and lives in a modest house, original to the farm with a leaky roof, some siding missing, a well that runs dry and has brown water. Doesn't have TV, couldn't turn on a computer if you put it in front of him. Has no idea how a cell phone works, doesn't even have an answering machine. He does not have supplemental health insurance, as he cannot afford it. While he had cancer (and is now cancer free) his bills piled up. I helped him establish payment plans, and get on a sliding scale fee base with some of his doctors, and we helped him pay a few of his other bills (phone, electric) so he could try to make ends meet. It was recommended that we get him on Medicaid along with his Medicare, and get him on the EBT card. He did not qualify for assistance or for Medicaid because of the value of his 23 acres, truck, tractor and cows. :roll: :roll: He sells firewood when he can, and he sells his calves and a few baby goats. This man has worked hard all of his life. Meanwhile he has a few neighbors that are leaches on the system, more than capable of working and caring for themleves, but they're on the dole.

It was suggested that he sell the family farm in order to live. Yeah, great idea, where is he supposed to go if he were to sell??

Latest posts