He Was Not Born Equal

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron, I had the same kind of situation this spring with a crossbred calf. I even got a horse girt and wired it up to cradle him in the standing position. I kept thinking he might come out of it cause at night he would somehow scoot across the stall. But, sorry to say had the same end result. Great effort sir! B&G

Ron hopefully you'll get an answer on what the problem was. It was a nice looking calf. I'd breed Ronnie back to something else than Broadway, many other nice bulls in the Simmental & SimAngus catalogs. Though she'll probably do fine the next time with him maybe. Again I hope you'll get some answers with the test they're doing.

FlyingLSimmentals":15nz3cnv said:
Ron hopefully you'll get an answer on what the problem was. It was a nice looking calf. I'd breed Ronnie back to something else than Broadway, many other nice bulls in the Simmental & SimAngus catalogs. Though she'll probably do fine the next time with him maybe. Again I hope you'll get some answers with the test they're doing.

i agree with this...

no matter how nice the calf was, it only lived 8 days and died at a loss with much aggravation and heartache.

it could have been one of those one in a million things....

but I had a vet tell me once that a particular calf loss was one in a million thing and I would never see one again.....about 2000 calves and several years later...... I had it again....

sorry for your loss.

pdfangus":er2byh1k said:
FlyingLSimmentals":er2byh1k said:

i agree with this...

no matter how nice the calf was, it only lived 8 days and died at a loss with much aggravation and heartache.

it could have been one of those one in a million things....

but I had a vet tell me once that a particular calf loss was one in a million thing and I would never see one again.....about 2000 calves and several years later...... I had it again....

sorry for your loss.

Thanks PDF.

I am coordinating with the ASA in Bozeman. It has gone very well. It is unlikely based on a single data point that we will know if this is an inheritance defect or a developmental defect. In regard to breeding back to the bull, that is a probability equation just as you stated. There are several Broadway calves out there, this may be the only one of this nature. You and Mike have a great point.

Ron,

So sorry for your loss. I think that I may have had a calf with similar issues. He looked normal on the front end, but had issues on the back legs. He died while the cow was calving. He was Simmental sired. I am attaching the URL for the sire's registration in case there may be a common ancestor. The cow was Red Angus sired out of a registered Black Angus cow. I have some pictures of the calf somewhere.

https://www.herdbook.org/simmapp/ac...ntSubmit_displayAnimal=T&animalNumber=2493645

DIAGNOSIS
UK VETERINARY DIAGNOSTIC LABORATORY

Scoliosis, kyphosis;
Meningomyelitis;
Omphalophlebitis;
Septicemia.

Significant gross malformation of the spinal column was apparent.

Talking to the veterinarian who submitted my case, she thinks there could have been an intrauterine infection in addition to the malformation because of the septicemia and inflammation of the spinal cord. She recommended giving the cow excede. I did.

It surprises me considering how complex fetal development is that here aren;t more calves born with defects. Through the years we've only had 2 that come to mind. A heifer born with no tail and one that had a variation of Hydrocephalus. Rather than fluid on the brain, all of the sinus and any other voids in the skull were filled with what looked like jello

dun":2bzdbjdi said:
It surprises me considering how complex fetal development is that here aren;t more calves born with defects. Through the years we've only had 2 that come to mind. A heifer born with no tail and one that had a variation of Hydrocephalus. Rather than fluid on the brain, all of the sinus and any other voids in the skull were filled with what looked like jello

Me too. When you think about the complexity of the developmental process, it is amazing more does not go wrong.

Margonme":pdetsrvg said:
dun":pdetsrvg said:

Me too. When you think about the complexity of the developmental process, it is amazing more does not go wrong.

Some might say it's a miracle. :D

Bigfoot":3pwb4fhz said:
Margonme":3pwb4fhz said:
dun":3pwb4fhz said:

Shhhhh....... You know that science can explain it. It has an answer for everything. Lol

Bigfoot":3c0rllgq said:
Margonme":3c0rllgq said:
dun":3c0rllgq said:

It defies logic that a Creator with the means to create the Universe would create so much IMPERFECTION. Why is life plagued with so many imperfections? Was the Creator just GOOFING OFF the day he created biological units to fill the air, soil, fields and seas?

Margonme":3pdzjm4n said:
Bigfoot":3pdzjm4n said:
Margonme":3pdzjm4n said:

It defies logic that a Creator with the means to create the Universe would create so much IMPERFECTION. Why is life plagued with so many imperfections? Was the Creator just GOOFING OFF the day he created biological units to fill the air, soil, fields and seas?

It actually was perfect for a short while.

Bigfoot":p7705nj5 said:
Margonme":p7705nj5 said:
Bigfoot":p7705nj5 said:

A power capable of creating the Universe would have forseen the event that corrupted his creation and put in place "quality controls" to thwart the pending "evil act". Thus, the Creator is flawed and thus, the Creator is not what a power to create the Universe would have to be. THE SEARCH CONTINUES FOR A BETTER EXPLANATION.

Margonme":2ixnj8mp said:
Bigfoot":2ixnj8mp said:
Margonme":2ixnj8mp said:

A power capable of creating the Universe would have forseen the event that corrupted his creation and put in place "quality controls" to thwart the pending "evil act". Thus, the Creator is flawed and thus, the Creator is not what a power to create the Universe would have to be. THE SEARCH CONTINUES FOR A BETTER EXPLANATION.

I wasn't really looking for a theological debate when I posted that. I had just finished my morning scripture reading, and was feeling blessed/filled.

Bigfoot":18e5evrx said:
Margonme":18e5evrx said:
Bigfoot":18e5evrx said:

I wasn't really looking for a theological debate when I posted that. I had just finished my morning scripture reading, and was feeling blessed/filled.

It is not theology from my perspective. It is philosophy. Either way, better stop. This thread might be of value. Shame to lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts