He Was Not Born Equal

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked to vet and ASA. If all goes as planned. Calf will be euthanized and sent to UK for necropsy. Findings will be provided to the ASA veterinarian under contract to coordinate these functions - Dr. David Steffan, University of Nebraska. Hopefully, I will report results here.

My grandfather switched from a dairy to beef herd the long hard way. Bred his jerseys to a red poll bull. Don't know if spinal bifida and hydracephaly sp? Plagues that breed or not. I know, the only cases of that I have personally seen where in his herd.

We've all been there, Ron. Very sorry to hear this. A few years ago, I had one put to sleep and sent to Dr. Steffan. Mine was Black Angus. Be aware that Dr. Steffan's reports can be disappointing. He may really come through for you but be prepared, just in case. My calf had all the physical traits of a snorter dwarf and was diagnosed as such by my veterinarian. Dr. Steffan said the calf had a bad heart. He never acknowledged any other issues.

It's disheartening to do everything you can and that still not be enough. Even if we know they're a lost cause we give them every chance, do everything we can think of. The day we stop doing that is the day to find something else to do.

gizmom":3ach75jo said:
Ron is it possible that the calf was stepped on after birth. We have had that happen. I sure hate your having to deal with this, it is heart breaking.

Gizmom
I had thought of the same possibility

gizmom":ub55qgi0 said:
Ron is it possible that the calf was stepped on after birth. We have had that happen. I sure hate your having to deal with this, it is heart breaking.

Gizmom

There was no sign of trauma. No swelling. No scrap or skin damage. Calf looks perfect on the outside.

Edited to add: Thanks everyone for the kind encouragement. At this point, I am wearing down. It is time to bring the curtain down.

X-ray. Zero trauma. Spine, vertebra, hip, pelvis, femur, etc. Totally normal and well formed.

Euthanized. Delivered to UK Veterinarian Diagnostic Laboratory.

Gained 8 pounds during his short 6 day life.

352lyis.jpg

Margonme":2bp8o7ry said:
X-ray. Zero trauma. Spine, vertebra, hip, pelvis, femur, etc. Totally normal and well formed.

352lyis.jpg

Beautiful looking calf and so innocent looking, that stinks.

Margonme":kke8lwi3 said:

352lyis.jpg

Brutal.

Had a cow that lost her calf to pneumonia along the fence row after days of treatment. She kept going back there to the same spot for a week to lay down and bawl. Ugh.

True Grit Farms":21j3hvbz said:
Margonme":21j3hvbz said:

352lyis.jpg

I swear, the vet was a young woman. Cute blonde. I told her this was hard for me. I swear, she choked. I swallowed it down. She could hardly mumble out, "It is never easy."

Margonme":23b41e6a said:
True Grit Farms":23b41e6a said:
Margonme":23b41e6a said:

352lyis.jpg

I swear, the vet was a young woman. Cute blonde. I told her this was hard for me. I swear, she choked. I swallowed it down. She could hardly mumble out, "It is never easy."

I hate this part of life.

frieghttrain":27iqiuve said:
That's rotten. What's going to happen to Ronnie?

I just got home from Lexington. Ronnie was running and bawling her head off when I took her calf at noon.

If the necropsy does not reveal a genetic defect, I will breed her back to Broadway. That calf was very nice and I liked his size.

Ronnie is a nice cow. 3waycross knows cows, he picked her out as one of his favorites in my herd. I agree. She was a sweetheart letting me deal with her calf in front of her. I got to where she would stand and let me support the calf while it nursed. Cannot beat her for working around. Fire Sweep cattle are extremely easy to handle.

I was really hoping for a miracle, that he would somehow recover quickly. So sorry, not just for the loss of the calf but for you as well. Maybe a nice glass of red tonight?

TCRanch":4u3yseua said:
I was really hoping for a miracle, that he would somehow recover quickly. So sorry, not just for the loss of the calf but for you as well. Maybe a nice glass of red tonight?

Thanks. Wine tonight! Always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts