Hay Season 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":3akmvu8n said:
did you see all that land in jackson co go at auction..

had 2 or 3 chicken houses, a USDA slaughter house, bunch of barns, a house, 230? acres all crop land..

it went for like 650k ! ! !

I about be nice!

The old Lewis turkey farm. Sad situation, had to be auctioned off to pay off loans. They've auctioned off several other sections the last few years. This was all that was left. As the crow flies it's probably 10 miles from my house.

Posted pictures of this same field back in April during my first cutting of the season. It was overseeded in ryegrass then. Today I did my 4th cutting of the season on that same field with its Summer grass going strong. It's mostly Quick-N-Big Crabgrass now with a lot of Bahia mixed in. Was disappointed last year with the crabgrass after I planted it in the Spring and then...THE DROUGHT. But we've had rain this Summer (so far with fingers crossed) and, evidently a lot of those seeds remained viable this year plus the few I left on seed heads with the final cutting last year (just like R.L Dalrymple suggests). Feeling better about it now..

Looks good yall.. I have discontinued cutting hay as we are extremely dry now and pastures are not growing and turning brown. If things change may do it again but not likely

Cut 20 acres the other day and got it baled up just before another inch of rain fell. Stayed up til 3am hauling hay in and it was a good thing because now the field is underwater.

chevytaHOE5674":3blfe2uq said:
Cut 20 acres the other day and got it baled up just before another inch of rain fell. Stayed up til 3am hauling hay in and it was a good thing because now the field is underwater.

Looks good I need a drone thing to take pics. I like that

chevytaHOE5674":352qu1rl said:
The wife likes flying the drone around and taking pictures and videos. Its pretty neat to see things from above.

Very nice... Do they have a camera to take still pictures or do you just cut a pic out and edit it from a video?

M-5":ipy17v7z said:
M-5":ipy17v7z said:
20 % chance raked and 4 bales made. I've been under barn waiting the ran out for over an hour i m guessing 2+ inch's .

Same way its been here. Hay should be tender because its been beat to death with the tedder. Might not be the best quality but the yield has been something else. Been averaging 7 rolls/acre but there was one field that did 11.

Got 4 dry sunny days finally. Mowed ~101acres, 518bales of hay made. Almost have all feed we need for the winter, but still have some fields to mowe. This year it's very hard to make hay. Hardly get any dry days. Weather forecast shows rain for the whole week starting tomorrow.
20247805_1366049640151737_8862737691374083842_o.jpg

Got the second cutting done yesterday and we're getting a good rain today , we needed a cool off, and the moisture .

Latest posts