Hay Season 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":2jbpdy53 said:
Narrow window of opportunity here the next 3 days. Hopefully I can start cutting in the next 2 hrs .

I wish you the best of luck..
We are so behind on hay that I cut that knowing it was going to get rained on the next day because its raining so much and the days after the rain it would dry and then be able to be baled.

Got most of our fields cut, baled, and stacked Monday. Cut three more small fields yesterday and it poured down rain on them this morning. Will be making round bales out of them.

skyhightree1":1n25128x said:
M-5":1n25128x said:

That looks good
Sometimes it pays to be lucky or at least have the balls to pull the trigger. I headed home early today to start cutting just before I got there a downpour of 3/4 inch rain I watched radar a little bit and decided to give it a go because front pushing in will keep temps low and very low humidity tomorrow. Cut 10 acres and son wanted to cut some so I left him with it. Got a business fishing trip tomorrow but as I was leaving you could see sky clearing West and North.

just ran the numbers on the first cutting and after everything is figured I have 1830.00 per roll invested.
that's cost of land fuel equipment and time .
If you would like to buy some its on sale for 1850.00 a roll.

Back in the real world actual cost of production , fert, time, fuel cost was 25.00 per roll ,

M-5":1nzgd1as said:
just ran the numbers on the first cutting and after everything is figured I have 1830.00 per roll invested.
that's cost of land fuel equipment and time .
If you would like to buy some its on sale for 1850.00 a roll.

Back in the real world actual cost of production , fert, time, fuel cost was 25.00 per roll ,

Put an ad on craiglist tell folks it is a rare special hay that cattle will gain like no ones business and im sure you will sell at least one roll.

IMG_20170610_125352832_TOP_zpsmslb1lqu.jpg

IMG_20170610_125627447_zpssibzypk7.jpg

IMG_20170610_133501898_zpsp5wya2mg.jpg

skyhightree1":255j805r said:
M-5":255j805r said:
Rain all this week and potential for tropical development next week. Gotta get the fertilizer spread pretty quick.

You got that right but its so dry here now.
Yep....usually dry till it gets wet.... :D

Good looking hay.

If all goes well I'll start 2nd cutting next week . Thursday will be 4 weeks since I cut it and it shore is purty. Alot of folks aint even cut 1st time here and they thought I was crazy cutting hay in drizzling rain 4 weeks ago .

M-5":pd024mgi said:
If all goes well I'll start 2nd cutting next week . Thursday will be 4 weeks since I cut it and it shore is purty. Alot of folks aint even cut 1st time here and they thought I was crazy cutting hay in drizzling rain 4 weeks ago .

just finished first cutting glad its done. Now I will be spraying nitrogen on the last cuts ... Yea I cut in drizzling rain as well as steady rain.

Latest posts