Hay Season 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

Posted in another thread but im sure he is loving those tall oats and grass

IMG_20170518_074926327_zpsivfg6eux.jpg

Had frost/freeze(ice on the waters this morning) the last two mornings, with some snow flurries on Thursday morning...

Looks like I'll be feeding hay well into June this year, then turn around and start making hay in July. haha

I wish my fields looked half as good as all of yours.

chevytaHOE5674":3ail7y2j said:
Had frost/freeze(ice on the waters this morning) the last two mornings, with some snow flurries on Thursday morning...

Looks like I'll be feeding hay well into June this year, then turn around and start making hay in July. haha

I wish my fields looked half as good as all of yours.

That sucks buddy hope it turns around for you quick thanks for the compliment. I tell folks all the time how I do it but few rarely listen. I will tell you that it was alot of trial and error.

Are you inventing something new sky? Balage and dry hay all in one!! Ha just kidding looks like a bummer and back to the shop hopefully you get back out soon things look like they were going well hay looks good.

Smoothy":2ictue2r said:
Are you inventing something new sky? Balage and dry hay all in one!! Ha just kidding looks like a bummer and back to the shop hopefully you get back out soon things look like they were going well hay looks good.

I cut one day baled the next cause we had 3 days of rain coming... the oats were dried completely other stuff mostly dry

midTN_Brangusman":2ictue2r said:
skyhightree1":2ictue2r said:
Posted in another thread but im sure he is loving those tall oats and grass

IMG_20170518_074926327_zpsivfg6eux.jpg

Great Scott what a snake! That a big chicken snake?

If you like send me a box and I will send him back for you to have around :)

Question for ya Sky... Do your cows sort through the oat hay trying just to eat heads or will they eat everything. I've fed some wrapped oats and peas never tried dry though. Oats grows like weeds up here maybe something to try someday.

Smoothy":3l50lwt6 said:
Question for ya Sky... Do your cows sort through the oat hay trying just to eat heads or will they eat everything. I've fed some wrapped oats and peas never tried dry though. Oats grows like weeds up here maybe something to try someday.

They eat everything to the last morsel and will run you over to get it.

I'm seriously thinking about cutting a patch of Bahia tonight. I applied Fertilizer 4 weeks ago , Got 1/10 on it the day after 1" a week later then another .5" the next week and got 2.5 " mon tue wed this week. It looks optimal IMO. The tiff 85 fields still need a week or so cause they didn't really green up till the 1" rain. I really need to try and cut in its prime this year.

M-5":29kusd55 said:
I'm seriously thinking about cutting a patch of Bahia tonight. I applied Fertilizer 4 weeks ago , Got 1/10 on it the day after 1" a week later then another .5" the next week and got 2.5 " mon tue wed this week. It looks optimal IMO. The tiff 85 fields still need a week or so cause they didn't really green up till the 1" rain. I really need to try and cut in its prime this year.

Lay it down... I can't do anything as its way too rainy here supposed to be clear tomorrow then rain next 3 days.. I was hoping to get a lot done this weekend not so much...

skyhightree1":umcouk8l said:
M-5":umcouk8l said:

Lay it down... I can't do anything as its way too rainy here supposed to be clear tomorrow then rain next 3 days.. I was hoping to get a lot done this weekend not so much...

You must be affected by the same system going through here.

The yield on hay is down about 30 percent or more here. Everyone is talking about the low yield.

Bright Raven":wtwd16sj said:
[
You must be affected by the same system going through here.

The yield on hay is down about 30 percent or more here. Everyone is talking about the low yield.

I am getting the same yield per acre as usual however I haven't been able to cut like I normally do and am no where near where I should be with hay baled... I am helping my hay guy more this year to try to get it done.

I just cut the 10 acre field I sowed last year.. 7-8 foot high mustard.. grew about 4 feet in a week while I was waiting for some decent weather (still not great, but can't wait any more).. There's nice alfalfa underneath it all.. it's going to make a lot of turds but they will be fussy about what they eat in it.

First time I really put that new Massey 255 to work.. sure runs like a top, even going up hill it didn't break a sweat

skyhightree1":10pj3vuo said:
M-5":10pj3vuo said:

I decided to wait another week the tops just started to fuzz

2nd cutting is looking really good.. i think i'll have as much in my 2nd cut when ppl finally get the first cut done.

cut a lil more but going from discbine to a haybine... Not cool.... JW in VA I tell you haybine is my worst enemy.. I used it to cut my 3 acre calf pen so they can get put on tender grass.

Before & After

IMG_20170518_194222629_HDR_zps7zxeekn7.jpg

Roller Jams I hate them.

IMG_20170604_120243946_zpsm3nhyrhk.jpg

IMG_20170604_133243810_zps4mzhcpzb.jpg

IMG_20170604_124433225_zpskwc0fxhh.jpg

IMG_20170603_175426373_zpswjapyp79.jpg

IMG_20170604_132908396_zpsnyhsp5fh.jpg

Latest posts