Hay Season 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

Started on first cutting this evening in one of my fields that's on top of a hill there was still standing water in places. Knocked down enough to keep me busy wrapping silage for an evening because there's no way its going to dry down enough to make dry hay.

chevytaHOE5674":4wqgc6y6 said:
Started on first cutting this evening in one of my fields that's on top of a hill there was still standing water in places. Knocked down enough to keep me busy wrapping silage for an evening because there's no way its going to dry down enough to make dry hay.

Hey better than nothing its getting dry here now.

Just about finished first cut. What a year so far! I have rolled 990 4x5s so far this year. Last year on same ground 550 rolls.
A little rain makes a big difference! I also contribute some difference to adding elevated skid shoes to my disc mower last year. Very thankful.

We are actually getting ready for the second cutting as soon as grain season is done here in about two weeks. We have had the perfect amount of rain. Just as it starts to get dry, we are blessed with a great rain. Stuff is pretty green right now.

I was catching kingfish in the gulf yesterday and cutting hay today. It took 10 hours to drive out and 1 hour to fly back. But I'd still rather drive.

M-5":11295tym said:

True Grit Farms":11295tym said:

I was catching kingfish in the gulf yesterday and cutting hay today. It took 10 hours to drive out and 1 hour to fly back. But I'd still rather drive.

I like to see folks lay it down what type of grass is that?

Coastal and bahia grass for me, the best hay I've ever made and can't get it up. Adveraging better than 4 rolls to the acre at 5 weeks. I have 25 acres cut and mostly raked and my baler is screwing up. I think the bearing on the stuffer roller is hanging and I'm clogging it up. I'll be at my Vermeer dealer at 7.30 again tomorrow morning, but this time I'm picking up another baler and not trying to fix mine. If not I'll be in Cairo buying me a re - conditioned JD 468, impulse buying at it's finest.

True Grit Farms":8lda6q4f said:
Coastal and bahia grass for me, the best hay I've ever made and can't get it up. Adveraging better than 4 rolls to the acre at 5 weeks. I have 25 acres cut and mostly raked and my baler is screwing up. I think the bearing on the stuffer roller is hanging and I'm clogging it up. I'll be at my Vermeer dealer at 7.30 again tomorrow morning, but this time I'm picking up another baler and not trying to fix mine. If not I'll be in Cairo buying me a re - conditioned JD 468, impulse buying at it's finest.

Baler problems p.m.o

True Grit Farms":1tpmh5zx said:
M-5":1tpmh5zx said:
skyhightree1":1tpmh5zx said:
Looks good does it have a sweet smell to it
Very sweet smelling. They ort to make a perfume with that smell

Back in the day they did, she was wearing it while rolling around in the hay. Did you finish up with your hay?

Yes , broke header bar was down an hour pulling the bands welded it back up and put it back together.

Mowed a bunch of hay this morning with no rain in the forecast until Tuesday evening. 8pm tonight it started raining and hasn't stopped yet, now rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. Just can't win this year.

Latest posts