Hay Season 2013

Help Support CattleToday:

Bad year in north Texas. Had a cold, late spring and no May rains. Finally got rain in June for a early July cutting. Basically no rain for July and August. Finally got 2.2" the last two weeks but it's too late for another cutting.
I think this is the first time in 35 years that I can remember only getting one cutting.

Good news is I have 245 round bales in the barn and only 22 cows left due to three years of drought so at least I have hay.

Bigfoot":2e0crgbg said:
I have enough hay for the winter. Rolls for the cows, and squares for the horses. I had the best grass year that I can ever remember. I wasn't able to get as much of it rolled as I would have liked to have. I have one hay barn with no hay in it. It would have been nice to have been able to stock up on some rolls. We have a pretty going hay auction here. I am expecting the prices to be low. I may buy some rolls to feed, and leave the majority of mine in the barn in case next year is like last year.
Which auction? Fairview?

Lots of hay for sale around here, see it from $15 for 4x5's and up.

skyhightree1":21p6a95z said:
bigbull338":21p6a95z said:
its always good when hay season comes to an end.how meny bales did you end up with for the year.

I have 717 bales.. In total we baled 873 bales. I gave some away to people who helped me with the hay as well as some land owners allow me to cut the hay in return for hay for their own livestock.
I made zero.........Good thing I was able to get over 500 in 2012 and still have all but 24 rolls.

We finished our hay season Saturday as well. It is nice to know it's over and now we move on to other chores.

Dale L":3jf2haqc said:
We finished our hay season Saturday as well. It is nice to know it's over and now we move on to other chores.

I become a little more tired of hay each year. Had a couple spots that could stand cutting again. Have a neighbor that sells horse hay and ask about it. I let him cut it.

fitz

Moved the hay out the field or in some cases on the side of the field to be tarped tomorrow.

Loaded and ready for my wife to haul 3 miles home

Wife was driving through the gate for me boy was I nervous

cut a 40ac meadow this week an it made 32 5 by 6 bales.but the kicker is the cows had been breaking into it an eating.so we figure they ate 25% of it or more.an if that hadnt happened it prolly wouldve made 50 bales.these bales seem tobe alot heavier than the 1st cutting.still have 30acs to cut.will try todo that after the rain moves out.

I baled my 3rd and final cutting of the season last night...

My 50 acre hay field produced 355 4 by 5.5 round bales this summer. The last TWO years, the same field in pretty harsh drought conditions produced a TOTAL of 271 bales. So, MUCH better hay season this year. I've only owned the field the last three seasons. I think I've seen the worst and best that it can produce. Now I'm ready for just a "normal" year...

OklaBrangusBreeder":1th6l2xf said:
I baled my 3rd and final cutting of the season last night...

My 50 acre hay field produced 355 4 by 5.5 round bales this summer. The last TWO years, the same field in pretty harsh drought conditions produced a TOTAL of 271 bales. So, MUCH better hay season this year. I've only owned the field the last three seasons. I think I've seen the worst and best that it can produce. Now I'm ready for just a "normal" year...

I've been wanting one of those for longer than I want to remember....not really sure what it would be anymore.

bigbull338":1wgy7rix said:
cut a 40ac meadow this week an it made 32 5 by 6 bales.but the kicker is the cows had been breaking into it an eating.so we figure they ate 25% of it or more.an if that hadnt happened it prolly wouldve made 50 bales.these bales seem tobe alot heavier than the 1st cutting.still have 30acs to cut.will try todo that after the rain moves out.

I have calves getting into hay thats stacked outside the barn it sucks

Ours finished last night, took advantage of the unusually hot weather and high winds to cure out a thin field. We are short on hay so every bale counts. Normally we couldn't dream of putting up dry hay this late! Now we just have to get the last of the corn silage up and hope the snows hold off long enough to get some corn stalk bales put up.

Latest posts