Hay Season 2013

Help Support CattleToday:

I did. Go through it that is. That bearing is the minor problem, that's fixed and rolled hay. The tractor is the bigger problem.

Sky, That grass looks good. You still getting rain? We're suppose to be getting rain for the next 3 days. Needed sunshine through the weekend to get all I wanted done.

Andy thank you. Yes sir todays first day without rain but we are supposed to be getting somemore tonight and then more on saturday and none on sunday then more next week its crazy that fertilizer and 6 inches of rain really kicked up the grass however I wish I had more of this in the grass

bigbull338":p2pgowq9 said:
you can laugh all you want.but thats what a smart man does.an yes it cost a chunk of money todo.but it sure beats having breakdowns.
Not saying that isn't the way it is SUPPOSED to work but have seen many a pieces of equipment come straight from the shops getting "gone thru" and never make a day before they break something
The only true way not to have ANY piece of Equipment break is to NOT USE IT

Angus Cowman":13h34nke said:
bigbull338":13h34nke said:
you can laugh all you want.but thats what a smart man does.an yes it cost a chunk of money todo.but it sure beats having breakdowns.
Not saying that isn't the way it is SUPPOSED to work but have seen many a pieces of equipment come straight from the shops getting "gone thru" and never make a day before they break something
:nod: You can save a lot in fuel costs that way too. :D

skyhightree1":312f646q said:
Lol How often do yall change yalls cutter knives on whatever you use to cut your hay?
Change rarely, sharpen about every 8 hours. I alwasy sharpen both edges and keep an old set all sharpened in case a really screw one up really badly. So I just turn them over every 8 hours. If I have a lot to cut in short time I'll put the other set one and then sharpen the ones I took off when I'm done for the day. Only takes about 10 minutes to take a set off and put them back on.

we usually flipp them every 40 to 80acs depending on what we are cutting.an change them as needed.

I usually just kept mine on all year no sharpening and put new ones on beginning of every hay season... I guess thats wasteful but I use a new holland haybine with serrated cutting edges are you able to sharpen those ?

Looks like you guys have some really nice hay and are getting some good moisture. If you get tired of it I will gladly take any you want to give to me in central Nebraska.

skyhightree1":1vhtq1zs said:
I usually just kept mine on all year no sharpening and put new ones on beginning of every hay season... I guess thats wasteful but I use a new holland haybine with serrated cutting edges are you able to sharpen those ?
Disc mower, blades pop on and off with a wrench. If not in the field I cheat and use an impact wrench

I don't know when and if I will ever get a disc mower because I am on the verge of just paying someone to do my hay.

Hawkeye if you will haul it from down here to there id have to give it to you lol

1982vett":1wc56zig said:
Angus Cowman":1wc56zig said:
bigbull338":1wc56zig said:
:nod: You can save a lot in fuel costs that way too. :D

I agree with Angus. You can put something in the shop, and get it back and break down in the field. Just cause it's been through the shop at $100 an hour doesn't mean it's all done. I went through my baler. I missed 1 bearing. I fixed it, baled my hay. Didn't cost $100 hr. Paying someone that puts his pants on same as everybody else, to fix something you can fix, doesn't seem feasible. And then on top of that, they charge 3X the cost on parts. $40-$60 bearings at the dealer I order for $13-$20/25. That just cuts into your profit.

To quote Angus again, "The only true way not to have ANY piece of Equipment break is to NOT USE IT"

Oh and it wasn't the bearing, it was the shaft turning in the bearing. Dealer would of wanted to put a new shaft. I built it up and put it together, and rolled. I have a trust issue when it comes to most shops. They always wanna do more than is needed, and/or rather say they done something. Just don't trust them all unless I'm watching.

if you put something in the shop an have them go through it.it had better not swarm because if it does the shop aint worth a crapp.

skyhightree1":17ue0o28 said:
Same here

Guess what I started doing today only made a few passes but it rained like a sob on it so ill ted it tomorrow supposed to be dry this week

Hopefully this coming week will be good. My husband and I have been watching AG forecast very delicate. The orchard grass is awesome but the weather is really screwing things up. But the weather during this time of year we really don't know what to expect until it's here.... :(

I am glad I only cut a few rows its still raining lol If stops before dark I will cut the whole field or atleast half

Latest posts