Hay Guarantee for mold

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
When you guys buy and sell hay, is there ever a guarantee for mold or anything? I sell some on the side, and I've got a PITA customer trying to get me to give a guarantee to trade out bales. My problem with this is I'm thinking that after a while it's hard to determine who's fault it is that the hay is moldy. Your thoughts? If yes, how long a guarantee do you give?

I sell horse hay, and I guarantee it's mold free. I know the people are fussy, and they store it in a barn, so if there would be mold, it would have been my fault. I've never had someone come back to me and say it was moldy, so I've never had to give a time limit.

Sorry, should have stated, small bales.

And no, the people aren't PITA's b/c of this. They have a decent history of it. I'm thinking about using this as an excuse to dump them. The next guy's money is just as green. :tiphat:

If you can be absolutely certain that your hay had no wet spots from the corners, etc, then I would say you're in the clear, and these guys will keep trying it. Do they store it indoors? What gives me a feeling of their credibility is they're just asking for an exchange, not money back.

I had customer baling operation for a few years where I sold a lot of small squares and I learned one thing. Most people who ask for things like that are more trouble than they are worth. If they can't identify decent hay when they come look at it (I always asked them to open a bale up before we loaded them) then they didn't need to do business with me. At the end of the day I realized there is no "real" money to be had in hay for someone like myself trying to also work a full time day job. I now only produce enough round bales for my livestock to consume and am thinking about getting out of the hay business all together. I only need around 200 rolls a year to get me through and the time, energy, and frustration that comes with baling your own hay is not worth it.

Kyle

That's kind of what I thought. These folks were a real pain last year, too, but money's money. I'm thinking this deal is probably going to really get me going if I have to deal with them much. I think it's better to say no.

Just tell them that you guarantee there is no mold in your hay that's in your barn but once its left your place there are no guarantees. If they can't figure that out then its best to let them go. Life to short to deal with idiots.

When I did sell hay I never had enough to . When some one started asking about Stuff like that or asking for a price break , I'd tell them its no longer for sale . Someone was always willing to take their place in line .

I know you're talking about hay that may have been wet and moldy but the fact is ALL hay contains mold spores. You just can't see them.

TexasBred":2jcht95f said:
I know you're talking about hay that may have been wet and moldy but the fact is ALL hay contains mold spores. You just can't see them.

Exactly. Mold does not grow in my hay but you can count on it being full of mold spores. There everywhere. In the air, in your home etc.

Latest posts