Have Mercy

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh quitcherbitchin......it'll be gone by noon. (for you anyway)
What I get, everybody N, E , and NE of me gets. :tiphat:

:tiphat:

My next home looks nice and dry tho....

Why don't you come complain to these girls about the rain... :lol2:

holm25":32leya52 said:

I am not living anywhere you need white camo to deer hunt.
Dun posted a chart on here one time for hay requirement versus temp,rain wind. It was eye opening. Mid thirties and rain was much greater than under freezing.

Our cows feel the rain much more than just plain snow and cold. We have plenty of hay, but they are going through it much faster than about 10 years ago when we had some serious snow. My son keeps a rough tab on pastures, how many cows and how much hay he is feeding. This years hay is also of poorer quality due to being very mature when we could get into the hayfields. Maybe that is part of it as I think they are wasting more too to find a place to try to lay down where it isn't so wet. We are moving the round bale feeders more. Rolled some out but they are really wasting the mediocre hay that way. Plus when they are soaked to the skin, and it is 40, they need more thermal energy to keep warm. When it is 20 and they can shake some of that snow off, they don't feel it as bad. I'd love to see Dun's chart if anyone knows where/how to pull it up. Think it was before I started on here.

holm25":3jayp22d said:

Holm, does that picture reflect your current snow pack??? Between the recent rain and more recent mild temps (we hit the 30s above today!!!), we have almost none left. Luckily, it has been pretty cold her for the last week, so we aren't fighting the mud like some are (we also reduced stocking rates and changed our pasture management, which is helping a ton). The good news is we don't have mud, sick animals and hay waste....bad new is the ground is making for some ouchy feet...Titan is NOT impressed!

farmerjan":19naf5da said:
Our cows feel the rain much more than just plain snow and cold. We have plenty of hay, but they are going through it much faster than about 10 years ago when we had some serious snow. My son keeps a rough tab on pastures, how many cows and how much hay he is feeding. This years hay is also of poorer quality due to being very mature when we could get into the hayfields. Maybe that is part of it as I think they are wasting more too to find a place to try to lay down where it isn't so wet. We are moving the round bale feeders more. Rolled some out but they are really wasting the mediocre hay that way. Plus when they are soaked to the skin, and it is 40, they need more thermal energy to keep warm. When it is 20 and they can shake some of that snow off, they don't feel it as bad. I'd love to see Dun's chart if anyone knows where/how to pull it up. Think it was before I started on here.

http://utbfc.utk.edu/Content%20Folders/ ... er.262.pdf

Caustic Burno":3td4tp1h said:
holm25":3td4tp1h said:

I am not living anywhere you need white camo to deer hunt.
Dun posted a chart on here one time for hay requirement versus temp,rain wind. It was eye opening. Mid thirties and rain was much greater than under freezing.

CB you wouldn't need white camo to hunt deer here. The last day of season was Oct 10 this year. But white camo would come in handy if you went coyote hunting today. But years of raising cows on the Washington coast I learned you are very right about low temperatures and rain are much harder on cattle than snow.

Caustic Burno":2nxfd3q5 said:
farmerjan":2nxfd3q5 said:

Our girls are going through the hay this fall and winter with all the cold and rain. We're barely going to squeak by 'til spring ( fingers crossed). Normally, the girls have to make it on hay only but I'm pondering feeding to stretch our hay supply a bit.

On a brighter note, the sun's shining today and it's 57.... much better than the 31 degrees, freezing rain/sleet and wind we've had all week.

Texas Gal":yi0n65zn said:
Caustic Burno":yi0n65zn said:
farmerjan":yi0n65zn said:

Our girls are going through the hay this fall and winter with all the cold and rain. We're barely going to squeak by 'til spring ( fingers crossed). Normally, the girls have to make it on hay only but I'm pondering feeding to stretch our hay supply a bit.

On a brighter note, the sun's shining today and it's 57.... much better than the 31 degrees, freezing rain/sleet and wind we've had all week.

I started range meal mid December.
The cows went on welfare. Mine were fat and slick on hay. Just got nervous as there is no hay to be had.I refuse to dump any at these prices and with hay shortages. I might be cutting my nose off to spite my face here. If I can hold on to my heifers till spring green grass they should fetch a premium with all the sale off.

You can see the hooks and pins sticking out.

You better be careful or the SPCA will be on you about those neglected, skinny heifers!

I'm like you - nervous about potential hay shortages. At this point in time, we're fine. Cows that calved around Thanksgiving started cycling right before Christmas :eek: despite the conditions so they must be doing fine. We had to scramble to move the bulls to a farther pasture in an attempt to keep everyone separated. This rain is making everything a nightmare (but I'll take it over drought anytime).

How much range meal do you feed 'em?

Texas Gal":1fxwxt5g said:
You better be careful or the SPCA will be on you about those neglected, skinny heifers!

I'm like you - nervous about potential hay shortages. At this point in time, we're fine. Cows that calved around Thanksgiving started cycling right before Christmas :eek: despite the conditions so they must be doing fine. We had to scramble to move the bulls to a farther pasture in an attempt to keep everyone separated. This rain is making everything a nightmare (but I'll take it over drought anytime).

How much range meal do you feed 'em?

It has 25% salt as a limiter.
They will eat five six pounds a day.

Caustic Burno":2p80jr4h said:
Putting out hay today is going to be fun,it has rained nonstop for two days. On top of what we already have been blessed with.

I think we are going to have to weld some pontoons onto our hay rings here in Kentucky.

Caustic Burno":piql0pl4 said:
holm25":piql0pl4 said:

I have found this to be the case. It seems like our cattle go through hay, even in rings, much faster in the 30's and raining weather than 15-20 degrees and dry.

*************":zax5jmaf said:
Caustic Burno":zax5jmaf said:
Putting out hay today is going to be fun,it has rained nonstop for two days. On top of what we already have been blessed with.

I think we are going to have to weld some pontoons onto our hay rings here in Kentucky.

I live in one of the top ten wettest counties in Texas. We are used to lots of rain, the last two years have been memorable. This is wettest I have seen it in this rain forest. The water table filled in 17 and ran over in 18.

farmerjan":29sk0qbd said:
Hay in the belly is an oven, a bit of snow on the back is a blanket for a well conditioned cow.

*************":3dil8y0o said:
Caustic Burno":3dil8y0o said:
holm25":3dil8y0o said:

I have found this to be the case. It seems like our cattle go through hay, even in rings, much faster in the 30's and raining weather than 15-20 degrees and dry.
I wish it was 15-20 degrees in that picture... We'd be lucky to say it was 5 degrees but I don't think it was even that. With the 35mph the wind chill was in the -25 range. Didn't realize how windy and cold it was walking back to the cows but walking up to the house again was cold. Froze my face off.

farmerjan":1jx8ccys said:

We had another 1.2 inches of rain tonight, our cattle barely use waterers most days, they drink from all the water coming out of the ground. They rarely have a chance to dry off before the next rain starts. You move them to a clean fresh field, on high ground and water squishes under their hooves. I could go on and on, it's a huge mess. I would love to have it go to zero and stay there until late March. Last year we had a few days where it was -10 and the cattle were better off in that scenario than this mess. I will take the cold ANY DAY!

All this reminds me of a story of a missionary who came to the Olympic peninsula. He had one Indian who right away became a great follower. This Indian learned to read and was seriously studying the Bible. One day the missionary came on the Indian. He had tossed his Bible away and was going back to his old ways. The missionary asked why? The Indian said he read in the scriptures the story of Noah. It said it rained 40 days and 40 nights and flooded the whole earth. The Indian said here on the Olympic peninsula it has rained every day of my life and the creeks haven't come up 6 inches.

Try living and working outdoors (falling timber) in Forks, WA. The annual rainfall is around 200 inches a year. And yes there are a few people who run cattle in that country. You don't have to worry about irrigation.

Latest posts