Have a big one to take

Help Support CattleToday:

You own the cow don't let it own you. I corral mine up atleast 1 day before hauling I just want to load and go the next morning. If you train them on sweet feed or range cubes depending on where you are it makes things ALOT EASIER. especially if they are greedy.[/quote]

Sky, have you ever considered how much weight you loose by doing this? If you loose 50 lb at current prices that is over $100 per head. If you had 10 head that day thats $1,000.

kenny thomas":yt048ypc said:
You own the cow don't let it own you. I corral mine up atleast 1 day before hauling I just want to load and go the next morning. If you train them on sweet feed or range cubes depending on where you are it makes things ALOT EASIER. especially if they are greedy.

Sky, have you ever considered how much weight you loose by doing this? If you loose 50 lb at current prices that is over $100 per head. If you had 10 head that day thats $1,000.[/quote]

Let me explain they are not in small corral like the panels corral a pasture next to the barn has a what I call my corral that's about 1 acre that I move the ones to be sold too the day before so when I am ready to go in the morning I get them in the small corral next to the barn where I have the trailer backed up to it and run them up in it. Will that make them loose that weight too ? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

sky the rule of thumb is 5% shrink no matter when you pen sort and haul your cattle to the sale barn.we haul alot of our cattle to the sale the nite before the sale.

gotcha.. I knew there is some shrink but figured by me putting in a paddock they normally are used too the day before then in the morning run them into the small corral onto the truck. making the 2 hour drive early would minimize the shrinkage but I do know there would be some.

I always try to stress them as little as possible so they don't get any more nervous or lose more weight than necessary. We always haul the day before or the morning of the sale, which gives us little time but also I think benefits my profit out of the calf. If the calf doesn't go in the corral I don't stress about it because it just means more weight gain and almost always a better situation in the end. I don't leave a bull calf on a momma over 7 months, though. I have seen some guys at the sale barn will get a pen just for their calves or if the majority of their calves are in one pen they'll bring a sack of feed up for them. I don't see it alot though.

Rosielou":31rezvtu said:
I always try to stress them as little as possible so they don't get any more nervous or lose more weight than necessary. We always haul the day before or the morning of the sale, which gives us little time but also I think benefits my profit out of the calf. If the calf doesn't go in the corral I don't stress about it because it just means more weight gain and almost always a better situation in the end. I don't leave a bull calf on a momma over 7 months, though. I have seen some guys at the sale barn will get a pen just for their calves or if the majority of their calves are in one pen they'll bring a sack of feed up for them. I don't see it alot though.

I figured they are use to me shutting them up time to time so that aspect wouldnt bother mine now when i put them in the small corral and load them on the trailer + 2 hour trip is where all their stress lies.

skyhightree1":3o1q6q69 said:
Rosielou":3o1q6q69 said:

I figured they are use to me shutting them up time to time so that aspect wouldnt bother mine now when i put them in the small corral and load them on the trailer + 2 hour trip is where all their stress lies.

The 2 hour drive is going to take its toll no matter what.

TennesseeTuxedo":1ctopt8d said:
skyhightree1":1ctopt8d said:
Rosielou":1ctopt8d said:

The 2 hour drive is going to take its toll no matter what.

Very true.. the closest market I would lose for sure about 150 per head and is 40 minutes away so I keep trucking and go another hour and 20 minutes past it and no matter what stress loss I incur I still come out ahead going further. How far are you from the sale barn Double T

Sky, in sports, you ever hear the phrase "On any given day, any given team can win (or lose)--even the worst or the best".
It's the same with cows. No matter how they behave all the rest of the time, when it comes time to gather them, even if they've always followed a bucket, there's always one that will suddenly get crazy and bolt and run or hang back. I can usually tell. If she stands out there in the grass, with her head way up in the air looking all over the place, instead of following along with the rest, she's going to be a problem.
If you're penning calves/mommas to sort and sell the calves, if momma does it, so will the calf. If momma does it 2 years in a row, I sell them as a pair. Life's too short to deal with crazy cow year after year. Just because you haven't had it happen yet, doesn't mean you won't.
It's not a question of "Will I have one like that" it's just a matter of when--it's GONNA happen--I guarantee it.

my nephew found out yesterday that cows dont always pen with feed when you want them to.he sold a bull to a guy to cheap but thats another story.and try as he might he couldnt pen the bull to load him.so they had to bring in the horses to catch and load him.

greybeard":37iwweu2 said:
Sky, in sports, you ever hear the phrase "On any given day, any given team can win (or lose)--even the worst or the best".
It's the same with cows. No matter how they behave all the rest of the time, when it comes time to gather them, even if they've always followed a bucket, there's always one that will suddenly get crazy and bolt and run or hang back. I can usually tell. If she stands out there in the grass, with her head way up in the air looking all over the place, instead of following along with the rest, she's going to be a problem.
If you're penning calves/mommas to sort and sell the calves, if momma does it, so will the calf. If momma does it 2 years in a row, I sell them as a pair. Life's too short to deal with crazy cow year after year. Just because you haven't had it happen yet, doesn't mean you won't.
It's not a question of "Will I have one like that" it's just a matter of when--it's GONNA happen--I guarantee it.

Yes sir I will be putting some in a corral today. I hope they follow suit. I have had problems getting cows with baby calves to go in there because they stashed their baby somewhere and wouldn't go in there.

Calf stashed, is to be expected.
I'm talking about cows with 6 month old calves ready to be weaned or even open/old cows. Might have gone right in for months or several years, but suddenly go nuts and just won't gee and haw--or may never have been wiling to follow the rest in. I'm convinced too, that it is often hereditary--like momma-like offspring. Maybe a learned response instead of genetic, but either way, the calf gets it from momma. She'll stand off with that head up acting more like a whitetail than a bovine. She eventually gets culled no matter how good she is otherwise.
You'll get one--sooner or later, and it'll make you want to shoot her on a hot still July day.

greybeard":pnwuf9dq said:
I'm talking about cows with 6 month old calves ready to be weaned or even open/old cows. Might have gone right in for months or several years, but suddenly go nuts and just won't gee and haw--or may never have been wiling to follow the rest in. I'm convinced too, that it is often hereditary--like momma-like offspring. Maybe a learned response instead of genetic, but either way, the calf gets it from momma. She'll stand off with that head up acting more like a whitetail than a bovine. She eventually gets culled no matter how good she is otherwise.
You'll get one--sooner or later, and it'll make you want to shoot her on a hot still July day.

Yessir. Agree 100%.
You learn not to keep those.

fitz

fitz":mpyieinu said:
greybeard":mpyieinu said:

Yessir. Agree 100%.
You learn not to keep those.

fitz

Yall jinxed me .. I will post in another thread so I don't hijack anymore

Latest posts