Should have stayed home today!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Just got back from the Calhoun sale. It was an unusual day. They had 5 little mini horses, that they ran through like cattle. Never said if thewy were broke or if they even lead. Brought $850 to $1100 each! Standard grey jenny with a spotted filly brought $1100. Pairs were $1200 to $1500, and these were all good cows. The bigger black cows brought in the 1500's. One smoky Charolais, 1700 lbs, had a solid black 200 lb calf on her, and the pair brought $1200. Bred cows were $850 to $1200. A man brought two grey, polled registered Brahmas. They were 7 and 8 mos, AI bred with sexed semen( for heifer calf) for their 2nd calves, to a polled grey Brahma bull. Dude led them in the ring with a hand behind each one's jaw bone. Quietest, calmest cows I have ever seen of any breed. He told me he would register the calves, to call him when they were born. I bought these at $1710 each. Clay came after them and is carrying to my client in Dooly county, that is trying to develop that Chianina/Charolais/Brahma cross. I sold them to him for $2250 each, $250 a cow under his budget. Week after next, the man is bringing his remaining 8 cows and 2 open heifers. They are all raised on fescue pasture, @kenny thomas

Another dude brought in 17 Corrientes, 4 Longhorns, a Fla Scrub, 4 Jersey/Corriente, zand 3 LH/Corrs. They were all bred from 3-6 mos to a NICE Angus bull that he brought to sell as well. Highest LH that was 900 lbs brought $410. Anther two brought $380 and the 4th brought $400. They sent in 2 solid black Corr heifers, 3 mos bred, and they brought $200 each. I got them. Next 2 were the same, but 4 and 5 mos bred. I got them for $230 each. The Fla Scrub weighed 950, was 6 mos bred, and I got her for $280. I did not stay to see what his bull brought, but someone we were talking to offered him $2500 and he didn't take it.

Another dude brought about 20 black and black baldy heifers. 3 of them had little black calves, about 200 lbs. Those pairs brought $1k. The rest were 7 and 8 mos bred, and brought $850 to $1050 each. The deal of the day was these 2 red angus/charolais cows..1600 lbs and 1700 lbs. 7 mos bred to a bwf Simm bull. One was 5 yr old and one was 6 yr old. They brought $1050 each! Auctioneer said " No, I am not going to do that." He asked the owner " What's it gonna take, $1500?" No one offered that, so he told the owner. " If I were you, I'd take them home and bring them back in 2 months with those claves on them, and we will get double what they just brought." When they were about to let them out, the owner said '' Tell the bidder I will let him have them for $1250." Bidder said. " I will give $1200 each for them, and take both". He sold them. The buyer will get his money back on just those calves in about 7-8 mos. I almost bought them for my buddy I am buying red angus cows for him to breed to his Black Hereford bull, but couldn't get him on the phone. I been kicking myself all day for not buying them.

I didn't watch any of the weigh cattle sell. I had been to the doctor before the sale, and didn't have my trailer, so had to go back and get it to haul my 5 home. I will carry them with me tomorrow night when I had down for opening day.

They sold about 50 hogs today. Barrows and gilts. Smallest were 150 lbs, had 3 at 400, all the rest were in the 200's to 300's. They were all fat and finished too.. ready to butcher. They brought 79 cents to 85 cents a pound. Man said the last few years, all his neighbors have sold out, and he has subdivisions on 3 sides of him now. Siad he was tired of the complaints and protests, and petitions. Nothing legally anyone could do about it..it is zoned for that. He is just tired of the city-transplants bitching and griping.

r old.

Last edited:
Another odd thing, but I attribute this to people no longer knowing basic math. They ran a 260 lb Brangus bull calf in. Said it was a couple months old and weaned. It looked to me like it was nursing a mother, and a GOOD milking mother. Fat, shiny hair, and it bounced around like a baby goat in the ring. Just didn't look like the typical bottle calf that was weaned and on feed at 6 weeks or so old. They ran it and several more in the ring at bottle calf time, but none of them were bottle calves, just calves under 300 lbs. There were 4 Holstein bulls that were about a week old, but nothing else was still on a bottle. Those Holsteins sold for $120. The high bid on that Brangus bull was $120. Lady who owned him said Nope....want at least $150. No one spoke up. She told the auctioneer to put it in the weigh pen, and he said " Heck, let's just sell it now by the pound. Not a single person had left the ring area, nor any new ones since the calf brought $120 5 minutes either. The calf sold at .94 cents per pound!! And the hell of it is, the person who bid $120? ( A woman) Who wouldn't give $150? Well, SHE bought it at 94 cents a pound! $245 for a calf she wouldn't buy 5 minutes earlier at $150! Man next to me said: "I bet she thinks she bought it for $94 !!!" On the way home I got to thinking (I am getting bad about that..... after the fact.... now that I am getting old! LOL) that I should have bought the thing at $150, and carried it down with me tomorrow, and give it to Zeke to raise. I mean, this calf could be the poster boy for the Brangus Association. Let it grow for 18 months, and it would be great bull for the Corrientes. I started thinking again just now, and the thought occurred to me, that the calf could have been stolen.

And, I was walking through the pens, and saw a woman in one, giving hay to 4 cows she had tied to the rack. Side by side, like you see at the fair or a cattle show. They were2 yr old bred heifers, 6 and 7 months. 2 were jerseys and 2 looked like they were solid black, 100% Jersey. I asked her and she said they were Holstein/Jersey. They were all bred to a polled Hereford. I asked her what she would take for them....cash money right now...and I would pay the sale barn fees, commissions, etc. She said she'd like to get $4k,, but would be happy if they brought $3k.....$750 each. I told her to let me think about it, and went to look at others. Couple hours later, I decided to hunt her up and buy them. Couldn't find her anywhere, so I went back into the pens area. The cows were in there with no halters on, just loose in the pen. Someone had come along and paid her what she wanted. I should have bought them, but wasn't sure if I had anyone looking for cows like them right now. @MurraysMutts , I need to get your phone number, man, for when I run up on stuff like this!!!

Last edited:
Just got back from the Calhoun sale. It was an unusual day. They had 5 little mini horses, that they ran through like cattle. Never said if thewy were broke or if they even lead. Brought $850 to $1100 each! Standard grey jenny with a spotted filly brought $1100. Pairs were $1200 to $1500, and these were all good cows. The bigger black cows brought in the 1500's. One smoky Charolais, 1700 lbs, had a solid black 200 lb calf on her, and the pair brought $1200. Bred cows were $850 to $1200. A man brought two grey, polled registered Brahmas. They were 7 and 8 mos, AI bred with sexed semen( for heifer calf) for their 2nd calves, to a polled grey Brahma bull. Dude led them in the ring with a hand behind each one's jaw bone. Quietest, calmest cows I have ever seen of any breed. He told me he would register the calves, to call him when they were born. I bought these at $1710 each. Clay came after them and is carrying to my client in Dooly county, that is trying to develop that Chianina/Charolais/Brahma cross. I sold them to him for $2250 each, $250 a cow under his budget. Week after next, the man is bringing his remaining 8 cows and 2 open heifers. They are all raised on fescue pasture, @kenny thomas

Another dude brought in 17 Corrientes, 4 Longhorns, a Fla Scrub, 4 Jersey/Corriente, zand 3 LH/Corrs. They were all bred from 3-6 mos to a NICE Angus bull that he brought to sell as well. Highest LH that was 900 lbs brought $410. Anther two brought $380 and the 4th brought $400. They sent in 2 solid black Corr heifers, 3 mos bred, and they brought $200 each. I got them. Next 2 were the same, but 4 and 5 mos bred. I got them for $230 each. The Fla Scrub weighed 950, was 6 mos bred, and I got her for $280. I did not stay to see what his bull brought, but someone we were talking to offered him $2500 and he didn't take it.

Another dude brought about 20 black and black baldy heifers. 3 of them had little black calves, about 200 lbs. Those pairs brought $1k. The rest were 7 and 8 mos bred, and brought $850 to $1050 each. The deal of the day was these 2 red angus/charolais cows..1600 lbs and 1700 lbs. 7 mos bred to a bwf Simm bull. One was 5 yr old and one was 6 yr old. They brought $1050 each! Auctioneer said " No, I am not going to do that." He asked the owner " What's it gonna take, $1500?" No one offered that, so he told the owner. " If I were you, I'd take them home and bring them back in 2 months with those claves on them, and we will get double what they just brought." When they were about to let them out, the owner said '' Tell the bidder I will let him have them for $1250." Bidder said. " I will give $1200 each for them, and take both". He sold them. The buyer will get his money back on just those calves in about 7-8 mos. I almost bought them for my buddy I am buying red angus cows for him to breed to his Black Hereford bull, but couldn't get him on the phone. I been kicking myself all day for not buying them.

I didn't watch any of the weigh cattle sell. I had been to the doctor before the sale, and didn't have my trailer, so had to go back and get it to haul my 5 home. I will carry them with me tomorrow night when I had down for opening day.

They sold about 50 hogs today. Barrows and gilts. Smallest were 150 lbs, had 3 at 400, all the rest were in the 200's to 300's. They were all fat and finished too.. ready to butcher. They brought 79 cents to 85 cents a pound. Man said the last few years, all his neighbors have sold out, and he has subdivisions on 3 sides of him now. Siad he was tired of the complaints and protests, and petitions. Nothing legally anyone could do about it..it is zoned for that. He is just tired of the city-transplants bitching and griping.

r old.
You keep talking and you might see a strange trailer pulling in two weeks from today.

r old.
Warren, if you didn't come home with those miniature horses then I would say you had a good day.

Ken

r old.
I know prices vary depending on the location. With what you're saying with pairs going for so little maybe I should try to hold off on selling. Have a black cow with a 5 month old heifer calf on her and the cow has a foot problem the vet said was genetic and would be better off culling. Kinda jealous on the Corriente deal you got. Haven't seen any run through the couple of times I've been to the sale. Might try that corriente thing you have going if I get the chance.

I know prices vary depending on the location. With what you're saying with pairs going for so little maybe I should try to hold off on selling. Have a black cow with a 5 month old heifer calf on her and the cow has a foot problem the vet said was genetic and would be better off culling. Kinda jealous on the Corriente deal you got. Haven't seen any run through the couple of times I've been to the sale. Might try that corriente thing you have going if I get the chance.
Yes, prices vary. But every day I watch auctions all over the country, and Missouri auctions are the place to sell. Cattle bring more in MO than elsewhere. Those $1200-$1500 pairs yesterday, would have brought $2000-$2500 at a MO sale Wednesday.

Last edited:
Warren, if you didn't come home with those miniature horses then I would say you had a good day.

Ken
I wish I had been the one selling! People giving $1100 for an unbroke mini, when they could have bought young, 7 and 8 month bred cows for that an hour later! They had a black llama gelding that they had to run it in the ring instead of leading it. It just stomped and spit at the ring men, and it brought $1400.00!!!

You keep talking and you might see a strange trailer pulling in two weeks from today.
Wednesday nights they post a video of what all they have in so far. Those 2 Brahmas were on Wednesday's video. Maybe when he brings the rest in 2 weeks, he will on Wednesday, and you can look at the video that night, then decide to come down. if they are there. Aren't you about 5 hours away? You could leave at 7 AM< and get there in plenty of time before the head cows started at 1:30.

Local auction is putting on a special sale in a couple weeks, they went to two of my places and looked at the pairs and bred cows we would consider selling, he said some of the pairs should bring $2,200 but the sales I've been to, I'm just not seeing it.
I told my son we might wait until after the first of the year, get closer to spring time.
There's just not that much hay. Myou did good Warren.

Local auction is putting on a special sale in a couple weeks, they went to two of my places and looked at the pairs and bred cows we would consider selling, he said some of the pairs should bring $2,200 but the sales I've been to, I'm just not seeing it.
I told my son we might wait until after the first of the year, get closer to spring time.
There's just not that much hay. Myou did good Warren.
Hay is the problem here also. Plus several places are low on water. Nobody much is talking about buying.

I wish I had been the one selling! People giving $1100 for an unbroke mini, when they could have bought young, 7 and 8 month bred cows for that an hour later! They had a black llama gelding that they had to run it in the ring instead of leading it. It just stomped and spit at the ring men, and it brought $1400.00!!!
I've seen more Llamas that people couldn't give away than I've seen bring any money.

Latest posts