Auctions today

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Ben watching sales online all day, and for the most part, all across the country from the east coast to the midwest, steers and heifers were down somewhat from what they were before Christmas. As usual Missouri was the place to sale today. Cheapest prices were at a South Dakota sale. Saw Char heifers 35-400 go for 80-odd cents per lb.

Ben watching sales online all day, and for the most part, all across the country from the east coast to the midwest, steers and heifers were down somewhat from what they were before Christmas. As usual Missouri was the place to sale today. Cheapest prices were at a South Dakota sale. Saw Char heifers 35-400 go for 80-odd cents per lb.
Ouch ! That's not good

A glance at some Kentucky auctions today had me thinking they were slightly higher than before Christmas.
We sat a little while earlier in the week at a sale, seemed like to us they were a little higher.
Saw 2 Hereford heifers weighing 550 something brought 202. Before Christmas they would have been around 1.90 at the most I believe.

Where i seen was Torrington i think
Torrington is usually a little higher than Riverton. I don't have enough to fill a truck, but there are guys that buy here and then haul them to Torrington. I sold some hay to a guy that buys calve here, backgrounds them and then sells them in Torrington; he said the difference in commission pays for the trucking.

That sure shows a big difference in weaned and vaccinated.
Yeah, average $.20 more for weaned and vacc... that's about right.
We are planning to send some in probably Feb... 90+ days weaned/vac/bunk broke on silage....wanting to get past the worst of the winter weather and want to get a bunch of this silage fed out this year...

Seen some 5wt steers in Wyoming bring 3.22. 6wts at 2.80.
We sold two bull calves yesterday we pulled from the development pen averaged 777 lbs at $198.50/cwt. They sold for $150 per head less than their 600 lb steer counterparts in October. Wish I had known these two wouldn't make the cut earlier, but that's how it goes. Just needed to get them off the feed bill and take our lumps. 5-6 wt steers we're bringing $260 to $300 / cwt all day at Torrington. Heifer calf market is a little stronger now than it was in October. Steers are about the same as October, maybe down $5-10 but still strong.

It would be interesting to see those calves. There is a big reason they were cheap unless there was only one buyer.
I think there was probably one bidder as well. . They would start them out at what the black and black baldies sold at, but never got a bid til he said .80. One that weighed 380 never got another bid,. Others got a bid or two, but none made it to .90. They were pure Charolais. No dairy or Brahma or Criollo in them . Even the good black ones were 50 cents to nearly a $1 cheaper than the Missouri auction. Maybe it was the weather?

Last edited:

Latest posts