Have a big one to take

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
Taking this one Thursday to the sale. I will tell you guys how it goes :) He's about 7 months, he should be 650+ lbs, wish he had more meat on his hindquarters but he's thick in his shoulders.
tumblr_n8cyyc45ep1rdftrko1_500.jpg

IMG_0623_zpsac977f6f.jpg

he should bring $1.75 a lb maybe more.he looks like he will go 700lbs opr better.

Was not able to get him up, but I did get an old cow up. She weighed 775, brought .975 per lb. I got $715.27 after commission. I sold her calf last sale for around $1200. So I did alright. :)

That's good. I was curious as how you did with the calf. Was wondering his weight. Hope you get him up.

fitz

TennesseeTuxedo":2x30g9ob said:
Rosielou":2x30g9ob said:
Was not able to get him up, but I did get an old cow up. She weighed 775, brought .975 per lb. I got $715.27 after commission. I sold her calf last sale for around $1200. So I did alright. :)

A cow at 775 lbs? That seems light to me.

I was wondering the same thing but then i said well maybe its a MINI

Rosielou why were you not able to get him up ?

She was a bit skinny I admit, but she was old and was naturally a small lanky cow anyway. She was a small f1 tigerstripe.
Skyhigh, he just wouldn't go in the corral. We left his momma up hoping he would come up, and he did, but he wouldn't go inside the corral. He isn't wild, just didn't do what we wanted :)

Rosielou":39qd63xc said:
Skyhigh, he just wouldn't go in the corral. We left his momma up hoping he would come up, and he did, but he wouldn't go inside the corral. He isn't wild, just didn't do what we wanted :)

You own the cow don't let it own you. I corral mine up atleast 1 day before hauling I just want to load and go the next morning. If you train them on sweet feed or range cubes depending on where you are it makes things ALOT EASIER. especially if they are greedy.

No, trust me, mine are trained pretty well with range cubes. I can lead most of them with a bucket, sack or the fourwheeler, minus two that aren't my cows. We call them up to corral as well and they are trained to a certain call. I understand what you are trying to tell me, and thank you for the advice. I usually don't ever have trouble with them at all, so I figure I will probably get him up next week. He's very calm and so is his momma.

Oh ok . Not trying to be a butt .. my question is if you couldn't corral him this week how do you know you will be able to this time ? What will you do different? Truly asking cause I like to know how people handle cattle that are hard to deal with. Mine will follow me to the end of earth if I ha be a bucket.

No, it's fine, sorry if I come across rude, I promise I'm not trying to be. Last month we got up heifers and sold some other calves so they were off routine. Wednesday I had already brought them cubes, so this morning they were not as eager. Without feeding cubes until next Wednesday they will be more eager. I try to only feed cubes once a week if that to keep them greedy for them, but they had been gluttons the day before. They all still came up, just not as eager. Hope my logic makes sense. :) I feed range meal and mineral salt, but cubes are the things that really get them eager. Mine aren't specifically hard to deal with, it just so happens he didn't go in yesterday or today for whatever reason. The one cow of mine that was hard to deal with is the one I sold today.

pricefarm":2w92miat said:
All my cows and calves are trained to come to a bucket in the corral but I swear they know when something's up.
Yea they do! It would be funny but it's not! They have a keen sense of anything out of the ordinary! Like a woman.....;)

Kingfisher":1asnddma said:
pricefarm":1asnddma said:
All my cows and calves are trained to come to a bucket in the corral but I swear they know when something's up.
Yea they do! It would be funny but it's not! They have a keen sense of anything out of the ordinary! Like a woman.....;)
Pretty much my exact situation! The one I need up usually gets suspicious and doesn't go in :roll: They pester me any other day until I actually need them.

Latest posts