Close to $2.00 killer bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a good talk with my fat cattle buyer last week. He said guys that bought high dollar yearlings last year are losing their butt on $1.80 fats. Cheap corn and no profit is encouraging feed lots to hang on to fat cattle longer than they should. He said at a sale earlier in the week someone brought in a pot load of strs that averaged over 1,800lbs. Only the market cow/bull buyers will touch them. Regular fat cattle plants can handle carcasses that big.
So that will increase pressure on the mrkt bull prices. There's only so much shackle space.

Prices were way down last week with cull bulls from 1.40-158.50. But it is what it is! Worked the entire herd yesterday and had 5 on horseback separate fat Willy from the rest of the bulls, move him across the road to the west 80 corral and he's now in prison at the barn until I can haul him for Wednesday's sale. But bless his stupid heart, he thinks he's got something good going on because I have 2 cull cows down there as well. Anyway, bets are on with my crew on how much he weighs: 2450 lbs, 2580, 2800, 2750, 2600 and 2650. Even at the lowest estimated weight with last week's lowest price, he'll still bring $3640. Not much less than what I paid for him 5 years ago. He's more than paid for himself.

Anyone else want to throw in their estimated weight?
View attachment 44724
Im going to guess 2400# even 🤔🤔

That would be worth the trip! Except I can't leave Mr TC "unattended" for that long. Oooooh, maybe I can put a hitch on the Vic and haul him with the bumper pull trailer so Mr TC can ride along!:ROFLMAO:
Ah heck, if ya got a cut gate just use the truck. I mean if he's gonna be in the trailer anyway..... 😝

Who really knows what the market will be this week. Probly a few guy wanna use a bull like that before sending him away

Not so patiently waiting for results @TCRanch

I didn't get to watch the sale today!!
Too busy at my day job. Dernit!
Well, I'm surprised - as is all of my crew that placed bets and the guy at the auction that unloaded him. He was practically svelte at a piddly 2280. Seriously? He didn't even fit through the chute at the sale, but they have another scale prior to them coming through the ring. And unfortunately, I wasn't able to be at the sale. Not saying their scales aren't accurate because they have to be certified, but my vet put him way more than that at his BSE last year (but eyeballing, not on a scale). Butcher bulls went from 1.40-1.66 and he brought 157. Whatever; it's done and one less thing I have to worry about. Plus, I bought him 5 years ago when bulls were significantly less expensive, so he definitely paid for himself.

Well, I'm surprised - as is all of my crew that placed bets and the guy at the auction that unloaded him. He was practically svelte at a piddly 2280. Seriously? He didn't even fit through the chute at the sale, but they have another scale prior to them coming through the ring. And unfortunately, I wasn't able to be at the sale. Not saying their scales aren't accurate because they have to be certified, but my vet put him way more than that at his BSE last year (but eyeballing, not on a scale). Butcher bulls went from 1.40-1.66 and he brought 157. Whatever; it's done and one less thing I have to worry about. Plus, I bought him 5 years ago when bulls were significantly less expensive, so he definitely paid for himself.
A couple hundred pounds shrinkage would put him at 2480. So that's the final figure?

A couple hundred pounds shrinkage would put him at 2480. So that's the final figure?
Willy would always drop it like it's hot when I turned him out with the cows and looked like a different bull a month into breeding season. I get shrinkage, but 200 lbs in less than 24 hours? Didn't realize that much was possible (although he did drop a 10 lb load before he got on the trailer:poop:).

Willy would always drop it like it's hot when I turned him out with the cows and looked like a different bull a month into breeding season. I get shrinkage, but 200 lbs in less than 24 hours? Didn't realize that much was possible (although he did drop a 10 lb load before he got on the trailer:poop:).
Just kidding... I'd guessed 2485 so was trying to get there from here, LOL.

Losing 10% over 24 hours is very possible with a large fleshy animal with a rumen full of green grass. Unless he was penned alone those big bulls are in constant motion at the sale barn trying to establish themselves and/or trying to breed anything that will let them. I know its not possible for a lot of folks but if you can get them to the sale just in time for them to enter the ring, you can save a lot of the shrink.

You must have yours trained to drop before getting in the trailer🤣 . Mine usually drop in the trailer.

Losing 10% over 24 hours is very possible with a large fleshy animal with a rumen full of green grass. Unless he was penned alone those big bulls are in constant motion at the sale barn trying to establish themselves and/or trying to breed anything that will let them. I know its not possible for a lot of folks but if you can get them to the sale just in time for them to enter the ring, you can save a lot of the shrink.
Well, I learned a lesson the hard way. Thanks for the info - I truly didn't realize it would be that much.

Latest posts