Pays to live a mile from the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Some bawling here, too. I trailer weaned 12 cows. Check for 2 of them is in the mail. Not done selling cows. Backgrounding the calves: wean, cut, shots. ...The bull got irritated and jumped a gate.
lbs, USD$
1575, 122
1275, 77.50
1100, 108
1195, 113
1065, 95
1505, 120
1505, 120
1245, 106.50
1305, 117.50
1380, 120

Some bawling here, too. I trailer weaned 12 cows. Check for 2 of them is in the mail. Not done selling cows. Backgrounding the calves: wean, cut, shots. ...The bull got irritated and jumped a gate.
lbs, USD$
1575, 122
1275, 77.50
1100, 108
1195, 113
1065, 95
1505, 120
1505, 120
1245, 106.50
1305, 117.50
1380, 120
That's good on cows ! Hoping , praying for good prices on these calves .

Four weeks ago weaned 117 in the corral less than 100 yards from the house. It was a bit loud outside but didn't hear a peep while inside. The corral is north of the house and our bedroom is on the south side. I slept like a baby. Someone years ago must have done a real good job of insulating this house. We don't hear it when people drive in even with the dogs barking.

Thats why I found it odd in anther post floating around here recently someone asks if its best to live on farm or slghtly away from it, everyone was saying living on farm is best and living away from it has no advantages. I would have thought living slightly away from it ie just out of earshot perhaps 1/2 to 1 mile away and also out of 'smellshot ' could be beneficial so you don't hear any animals balling or smell any of their :poop: . :unsure: :confused:

Ran into a lady that lives a couple hundred yards up the road from our farm . I was pulling my trailer with my riding mower on it . She asked me if I mowed yards ? I answered yes and she started telling me where she lived . I answered you're just above our farm . She responded: do you have cows ? Why yes . Are they hungry? No I don't think so . Well they bawled all night and all morning ! I weaned some calves and hauled some to the cattle sale . You took their babies away from them ? Yes mam , that's how it works . 🤠 Well those poor mommas ! Call me if you still want me to mow your yard mam . Exit , stage right . 😁

Thats why I found it odd in anther post floating around here recently someone asks if its best to live on farm or slghtly away from it, everyone was saying living on farm is best and living away from it has no advantages. I would have thought living slightly away from it ie just out of earshot perhaps 1/2 to 1 mile away and also out of 'smellshot ' could be beneficial so you don't hear any animals balling or smell any of their :poop: . :unsure: :confused:
My dad always said that if you can smell the animals the air is clean.

10-12 mommas yesterday at the corral, 0 this am . Heifers being weaned pretty much over their bawling. Put a round bale in the coral and had 1 heifer from the other farm walk out on me . Interesting that she walked out our road in the pasture to the front gate . Like she knew that's how she got there . Not wild just walking like she knew where to go . 4 failed attempts to get her back to the corral before I succeeded. Just another day with cattle.

Got curious about what our calves did at the sale yesterday so I called the sale barn . Both groups average over $1000 a piece . Won't get my check till Friday but extremely pleased . Will be able to pay off our tractor and put a dent in the loan on the batwing bush hog . The Lord has blessed us again !

The only calves I've ever sold were half Angus taken off a Jersey cow. My husband's beef cows bawled overnight then forgot about them. Jersey cried for a week.

Latest posts